Honored Contributor

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

Maybe I'm missing something, how do you "schedule" a meeting for an "unspecified" time?

Respected Contributor

I can't help but wonder if the original meeting was in regards to the complaints the OP has regarding her co workers (which she has verbalized here often). If so, refusing to wait diminishes the validity of her complaint. Just supposition on my part. 

I learned from my Dad: If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Why - as it was already ‘getting late’ -  did OP  suggest to management see the other two first then her.  You know it will then be much later before your meeting.

Seems maybe OP did not want this meeting - or some other motive at play -  if it was me I would get in first, when offered, and get it over with then all this stress saved.

Honored Contributor

Daddy was a real nut about being on time. If you had an appt.at 8.00 then you had better be there a few minutes early.

Trusted Contributor

@reiki604  ..... Being new to the forum I am not familiar with the OP's prior posts but have a fairly good idea of what you might be referring to. Right or wrong I have formed an opinion about the whole situation as described in the OP's first post.

If the OP had not used the word "analytical" to begin the question I might not have spent as much time on the thread. I just thought it was a strange word to be used in asking for opinions. Not really a word used very much in every day life.

We are all adults here and have lived long enough to know whether or not our actions are considered disrespectful or inconsiderate. 

If you are not happy with your work situation and it carries over to your home life enough to interrupt watching a movie sadly it sounds like it is time to find a new job. 

I wish the OP a Happy Holiday Season and hope that in the New Year they come to terms with whatever is disrupting their life and they are able to move on.

Honored Contributor

This is from a writer, fictional, not real.  In the Mafia world, almost anything not going with The Don, was considered "not respectful" since, that's how they saw things.

I'd not be bothered by a fictional statement in a fictional movie, and not take it personally. It only applies if you see it that way.  

Honored Contributor

It's based on a book I read years ago - I Heard You Paint Houses. However there is much dispute as to whether the writer told the truth (that he killed Hoffa). 

Excellet movie (and long - 3 1/2 hours).

Honored Contributor

@RinaRinawhat happened on the job that was the cause for this meeting?  

Valued Contributor

I completely agree with the quote.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@RinaRina  I didn't read all the posts so someone may have mentioned this, but I would have felt disrespected. IMO when who ever was supposed to meet with you saw that time was short they should have let you know and scheduled another appointment instead of letting you hang. I agree with what JH said in the movie. I quit my cardiologist because she took a personal phone call during my appointment with her.

======================================

Thank you!

Personally, I would never do that to anyone.  It feels like being stood up.

Not only is it disrespectful, but it shows a lack of professionalism and poor time management skills, which frankly, has a direct correlation to incompetence.

I guess I think this assumption is a stretch. Without knowing the specifics of why the meeting was requested, the specifics of the actual workplace and the specific parties involved in this matter, it's impossible to know.

From simply reading the first post, it didn't sound as though you were pressing hard for the meeting, for which there was no specific time stated. You asked her to meet with the others first and she did. An emergency arose, which does happen. She agreed to meet with you if you could stay a bit later, which you declined to do. You then indicated you'd meet with her after Thanksgiving. I don't see any of the above as fodder for being disrespected or for labeling the manager as having poor time management skills or being incompetent. Maybe she's guilty of both but I couldn't make that assessment based on this example.

Was she supposed to change her Thanksgiving travel plans to accommodate you? As an employee, I too hated to stay late, but perhaps the assumption was made that if this matter was urgent to you, you might have agreed to do so. You didn't, but merely suggested you'd catch up after Thanksgiving. I don't think her behavior was disrespectful, rather, I wonder if this is a situation whereby this manager couldn't 'win' with you, no matter what she did... Had she agreed to skip managing the 'emergency' it's possible that someone higher up might have viewed that as incompetent...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...