Honored Contributor

An honest question for e-bay sellers

There is a Quacker Factory pink/sweater or top-can't tell which for sale. It has snowflakes and rhinestones on it. It is so badly wrinkled. Looks like it was rolled into a ball,thrown in the back of a closet and then taken out to sell. Why,oh why would anyone take pic of this and attempt to sell?

Honored Contributor

Re: An honest question for e-bay sellers

It is E-bay number 124464234190. Thank you to all.

Honored Contributor

A lot of sellers who sell clothing from QVC purchase the goods directly from QVC.  The clothing is packed and sold as a  " lot" or " pallet" and they are often rolled into a ball and packed up tight.

Some of the clothing is returns, damaged, or just unsold items.  The sellers just price them accordingly  and try to resell them.

Often sellers buy items at yard sales and estate sales or thrift stores.  Thye sell them

"as is"

They sell this way because it people will buy merchandise and wash or repair it themselves if the price is right or they really want something.  If the seller made the item look brand new like a first class department store item, they would need to charge more.

About 10 years ago, we decided to update our boat.  We ordered brand new custome seats and a new console.  It was a few thousand dollars.  My DH took the old seats out and they were in our driveway.  he was planning to junk them, when a few people asked if they could have them.

I told my DH that I was going to sell them on e-bay make a few bucks to offset the price of the new ones so no, he could not give them away.

I listed them at $100 to start.  I figured we would get maybe $300 for them if we were lucky.  Well, there was a bidding war and they sold for $1300.  

I felt awful because I would never pay that much for used boat furniture that wasn't in excellent shape.  The man who won the bid drove five hours to pick them up.  He was thrilled to have them.

My DH was ready to give them away or send them to the junk yard!

The bottom line is...there is a buyer for just about everything out there.  One man"s junk is another man's treasure as they say.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1.  Do you honestly think other eBay sellers would know WHY one particular person is a slob?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I can't understand why people display clothes for sale on the floor.  

Once I see carpet or hardwood or tile, I'm out.

I can't remember what I was looking at, but a woman had an item for sale on her diningroom table.  And in the background was a really creepy looking doll, sitting in a chair.  One eye was wide open and the other half closed.  That turned me off, too.

Dirty fingernails pictured when they're holding something, usually a man's....bleck.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The seller will probably ship it in one of those big plastic envelopes, so the top would probably arrive looking like that anyway. If it was pictured without wrinkles, and arrived with them, a customer might complain. Some have complained about receiving wrinkly Q clothes here in the forum.

The seller has 100% positive feedback. I looked at some of her sold clothing items, and several of them had wrinkles in the pictures. I would buy from her if she had something I wanted.

Honored Contributor

I resell

and the number of sellers who list wrinkled, dirty , poorly photographed clothing and items amazes me

you get more with a better listing

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They do it because people are very different and people all have different standards and guidelines for how we live. VERY different! 

And that may be all they have, and all they can manage to do.  You never what circumstances some have to live in.   And how much a couple of dollars may mean to someone. 

Honored Contributor

From a long time buyer's perspective, $4.99 is an excellent price.  Sweater appears to be in good condition.  A little ironing and the buyer has a nice sweater for a low price.

Prices would be higher if the seller ironed everything.  

Respected Contributor

Ebay makes it easy to ask the seller a question so ask them if you want to know @Group 5 minus 1. I sold on Ebay for 8 years with all positive feedback & here's 1 of the items I sold....Listing title: Handmade Quilt in EC, Printed Cotton Feedsacks in Light To Dark Blues, Dated 1923, Not Signed, Size 92x106 & I added more details in the Description with lots of pictures. Here's the questions I got...Is it handmade or machine made? Condition? What color is it? What's the size? Is it signed? Is it dated? Will it fit my bed? with no bed size included, LOL! You definitely need patience & a sense of humor to sell on Ebay, I ran out of both.