Honored Contributor

An aging issue I hadn't anticipated.

[ Edited ]

I always suspected I'd get old one day. There were plenty of clues to tip me off about that, lol.  I expected the changes in my looks and the way I feel.  So far, I'm doing pretty well and keeping a good attitude about it.  There's one thing, though, that I hadn't really thought about and it seems to be happening more and more.  Those people I'd depended on for decades are getting old, too!  People, like my doctors and the front desk people who are so vital to their practices. Pharmacists, shopkeepers, hairdressers, the office staff at my school... many of those professionals who make my life easier are getting older, cutting hours, retiring. Sure, there are always new ones stepping in to replace them, with new ideas and talents, but the years of history are lost.  Sorry if this post is a bummer. It's just something I've noticed lately and a little bit sad.  

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Re: An aging issue I hadn't anticipated.

[ Edited ]

I said the same thing to my husband two days ago after a doctor's appointment.  Great doctor and it occurred to me that he would be retiring in the not too distant future.  So many of our doctors are excellent -- have worked incredibly hard over the years -- and certainly deserve to retire.  That said -- YIKES!!!

Honored Contributor

I have made a point of choosing doctors that are considerably younger than I am.  

Honored Contributor

Boy, I sure do agree with you.  I thought I was the only one that had been thinking along this line.  And that “history” with those people that you speak of is so very important, especially as we age.  Add to this the people that are just no longer here themselves.

And it’s not just people my age.  Many of the younger people I’ve been starting to depend on for various kinds of help are having age-related problems themselves!

You’re right.  Sometimes I do feel a little sad about it.

Respected Contributor

You're right, of course.  Another advantage of working with older people is that they can empathize with how you are feeling.  Even though most of the young people I come in contact with at the medical facilities are kind and knowledgeable, there's no way they can relate to what you are experiencing.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

You're right, of course.  Another advantage of working with older people is that they can empathize with how you are feeling.  Even though most of the young people I come in contact with at the medical facilities are kind and knowledgeable, there's no way they can relate to what you are experiencing.

They all have mothers though and/or older relatives.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

You are SO right!

My Gynecologist, the only one I've ever seen, retired six months ago.

ACAAAAAK!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

When we were younger and listening to our Grandparents talking of their friends and acquaintances passing on, we nodded in respect and chalked it up to "old age." Little did we know!!

My Rheumatologist retired a few months ago.  He was my RA doc for 15+ years, and we had a wonderful patient/doc relationship. I was terrified not knowing this "new" doc he was referring me to. Thankfully, this young lady is awesome! Now, my primary family physician of 25+ years is talking of retiring. I'll most likely transfer my records to one of the other doctors in the practice.

Esteemed Contributor

Just yesterday, I realized that everyone else is aging also and, you're right, it is a bummer. 

So many of my friends are gone already  (2 recently) and others are not well.  Just doesn't seem fair, but life isn't fair!   

Honored Contributor

I have a young female allergist who is great and who is 6 months pregnant with twins, so she will be out for 2-3 months at the begging of the year

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.