@Drythe wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@Drythe,

OP says she lives near Covina, CA.

@RedTop 

I don't understand what you mean.

Why does it matter where she lives?

I think Red Top mentioned where halfpint1 lives because you said,

"Think you live in a cold area, and hope you are starting warm.", and Covina is not in a area that would be considered "cold", like say, your northern states.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's wise for people to be too much alone.  As far as nursing homes being too expensive....if you run out of money..... medicaid pays for everything. If this is the way you choose to live the rest of your life, my dear lady, just know that this is probably what it will be the rest of your life.  I believe that if you do the same things, in the same way, your life will not change....it simply remains the same.  Ask yourself....can you be happy with that?  Do you have a church or a pastor you could confide in?  Do you have friends?  I think that is so important. People weren't meant to be "islands unto themselves".  It's not a healthy way to live.   

Super Contributor

Loneliness can cause so many illnesses to arise. Senior centers are a good way to meet people. Lots of them offer lunch and have many things to do at the center. I live in NYC and we are lucky we can get to places easily. You don't have to be alone. When I go shopping at the supermarket I come across many elderly people and many times I spend several minutes in an aisle just talking first about some food item they asked me to get for them which then leads to some other conversation. 

Esteemed Contributor

This has happened for a few years. I have a machine that I turn on  helps  some. Thanks for caring. I live in so. cal which can become windy at times.

Super Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

This has happened for a few years. I have a machine that I turn on  helps  some. Thanks for caring. I live in so. cal which can become windy at times.

Glad the machine helps some. I am dealing with peripheral neuropathy and it's not from diabetes. It just happened one night and doctors don't know why. You just make the best of things and try to figure how to make things better. Keep taking care of yourself.

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 ~

Hoping that your Sound Machine gave you some relief last night, and you were able to relax and get some rest.  {{{Heart}}}

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I don't think it's wise for people to be too much alone.  As far as nursing homes being too expensive....if you run out of money..... medicaid pays for everything. If this is the way you choose to live the rest of your life, my dear lady, just know that this is probably what it will be the rest of your life.  I believe that if you do the same things, in the same way, your life will not change....it simply remains the same.  Ask yourself....can you be happy with that?  Do you have a church or a pastor you could confide in?  Do you have friends?  I think that is so important. People weren't meant to be "islands unto themselves".  It's not a healthy way to live.   

When you run out of money, you are moved to a facility that accepts Medicare and is priced for Medicare.  Many are not that great.  You don't go into Sunrise in a private 1 bedroom and then suddenly the bill goes to Medicare.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

When you run out of money, you are moved to a facility that accepts Medicare and is priced for Medicare.  Many are not that great.  You don't go into Sunrise in a private 1 bedroom and then suddenly the bill goes to Medicare.

@VaBelle35  @jubilant   VaBelle35 you are right to being shipped off to a facility that accepts Medicare.  My parents were paying seven thousand a month and if they ran out of money Medicare was definitely not paying. They would have been shipped right out.

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1  Just want you to know that my mother used to say that she heard noises in her head all the time. Was never explained    why. She lived into her nineties. Maybe a sound machine will help. 

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@VaBelle35, I think you mean Medicaid.  @jubilant was referring to Medicaid, not Medicare.  Medicare will not pay for long term residential care under any circumstances.  Medicare only covers costs of long term care facilities when it is expected the person will get better and go back home.

Medicaid is what covers long term care for those older that qualify and requires that funds be exhausted  or as @jubilant  stated when "you run out of money" before it kicks in to cover long term care.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *