Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 

we heard a deep humming sound at night in our master bedroom.  DH had to sleep on the nursery floor because it was to disturbing!

It was a factory that worked at night.  We complained about it to the town and the company.  No one else could hear what we heard.

DH drove through the industrial park at night to pinpoint the sound. The industrial park is across the highway from us.

I'd call the company when they started production, and call them again when it stopped.  It took 2 or 3 times and they finally believed that we knew it was them.

they finally moved away.

Esteemed Contributor

The settings for the heat are set at the same number and it takes quite awhile to differ. Meanwhile the motor or what ever makes noise because of this. I swear I had never heard this before these few years. Sometimes it takes hours to change to temps in the house. I just don't like noise or understand why on this model.

Esteemed Contributor

Often in the evening is when you post about this problem.

If it bothers you TURN OFF the thermostat.  That should turn off the heater. 

Then it will be quiet in the house.

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

The settings for the heat are set at the same number and it takes quite awhile to differ. Meanwhile the motor or what ever makes noise because of this. I swear I had never heard this before these few years. Sometimes it takes hours to change to temps in the house. I just don't like noise or understand why on this model.

On the thermostat is the fan set to "on" or "auto"?  When set to "on" the fan will run all the time.  Sometimes people like to keep their fan running all the time for air circulation.  At "auto" the fan only operates when the furnace or AC is actually running.  

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I take a walk if it is not rainy every day. I also take my meds faithfully. If you do not know I also collect recycleables on my walk. I have a grocery cart to push. I do not need someone to watch over me. I just miss talking to someone and that is why I come here.

===

Many of us will talk to you @halfpint1. I certainly am perplexed by the noises that seem to have no cause.

Honored Contributor

I am also 81.  I’ve had some form of tinnitus for decades now.  Sometimes it sounds like a wind is blowing, sometimes it’s a hissing sound.  Sometimes I don’t even realize it’s happening until it stops!

In the past few years I hear a knocking sound . . . It’s always two knocks, then a hesitation, then another knock.  And often as I’m just waking up I hear my sister’s voice . . . She says my name, just once, but very loud.

She’s been gone now almost eight years.  I’ve never told anyone about this, but since we’re anonymous here, I decided to reveal it.

Except for my beloved sister calling my name, I ignore all of it.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree , I sure hope your post helps her.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

If that is the way the heater works I wish the tech would tell me. It is 8 years old but they just think I am nuts.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1,

Heating and air technicians respond to unfounded “noise” calls all the time.

After 3 years,  I F  there was a true mechanical problem, the heater, or whatever you think is making “the noise” would have stopped working by now.   

Your heater probably works exactly the same as it always has; you just never paid any attention to house stuff while your husband was alive because you knew he took care of everything.  You did your daily walks, had your outings with your husband, and Bob, and did your routine jobs at home- - -pretty carefree life.   You never mentioned anything house related, except for the gardener, and some roses.   Never had any complaints until 6 months after your husband died.  

Respected Contributor

Good Morning @halfpint1 

Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day for getting some time outside.  Are you in Covina or West Covina?  I remember you once posted about a rose bush in your yard.  Do you still have it?  If so, how is it doing?