Honored Contributor

Re: Among friends--noise

[ Edited ]

@halfpint1   I know that you are on the shy side and are not comfortable meeting new people.  I understand that many times you start a conversation based on a topic you are familiar with to just reach out and connect with people.

I want you to know that so many of the women on this thread sincerely care about you even though we don't know you personally. 

We take what you say seriously and as you can see, many of us are 'fixers'.  We see a situation or problem and mean well when we suggest solutions out of concern for you.

I went through something similar with my Ma.  If she wanted something I'd get it for her.  When she would sometimes talk about things that bothered her I would automatically think of suggestions or corrective action.

Finally one day my middle sister told me Ma just wanted to vent, she wasn't looking for solutions.

I understand now Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

No one mentioned tinnitis. I had a test and don't hear everything.

It was ruled out ,you had a hearing test done you said.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@halfpint1   I know that you are on the shy side and are not comfortable meeting new people.  I understand that many times you start a conversation based on a topic you are familiar with to just reach out and connect with people.

I want you to know that so many of the women on this thread sincerely care about you even though we don't know you personally. 

We take what you say seriously and as you can see, many of us are 'fixers'.  We see a situation or problem and mean well when we suggest solutions out of concern for you.

I went through something similar with my Ma.  If she wanted something I'd get it for her.  When she would sometimes talk about things that bothered her I would automatically think of suggestions or corrective action.

Finally one day my middle sister told me Ma just wanted to vent, she wasn't looking for solutions.

I understand now Heart

@Bird mama- You are spot on.  I agree with everything you have written.  You are so right. Thank you so much. 

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I take a walk if it is not rainy every day. I also take my meds faithfully. If you do not know I also collect recycleables on my walk. I have a grocery cart to push. I do not need someone to watch over me. I just miss talking to someone and that is why I come here.

Please keep coming here for someone to talk to .....

Frequent Contributor

Could it possibly be mice in the walls? Or maybe a different small critter chose to make your house a hideout for the winter? Maybe it had babies? 

The only thing I can say is I kind of understand. This past summer I kept hearing thuds on my home and nobody could explain it. It happeded over and over again which drove me crazy. It usually happened at night but sometimes the banging sound would happen at other times. 

Wellllll...this fall we cleaned gutters and lo behold ...my neighbors trash can lid was sitting in a "blind area" on the roof. Every time we had wind or a storm it would bang around. I have not heard it since. LoL 

I hope you find an answer to your noise like I did. But may as well go to an ENT doctor just to get proof it isn't in your head. 😉 And hey! If it IS in your head then...at least you got your answer! 

Honored Contributor

Okay then.

Respected Contributor

I had a knocking sound that I could hear and no one else seemed to hear it.  It turned out to be a water hammer in the sprinkler system at my home.

Maybe it's in the pipes as water flows through them at her residence.  

For a temporary fix, I would leave the radio on low or the TV to possible override the noise.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Re: Among friends--noise

[ Edited ]

@halfpint1,

You know I have followed your posts for the last 3+ years; your posts stand out to me because I have dealt with, and am still dealing with what you are going thru.  My grandmother and aunt had the anxiety and fear connection, my mother-in-law suffered from the side of fear, and with my mom it’s anxiety and dementia related.   My mom is not afraid in her home.   I do remember A LOT of the info you have posted.

I know you say you want someone to hear, or explain why you hear the noise in your house.   I think you would probably pay 10 more people to come into your house if you thought even one of them was going to tell you they heard the noise.   For your sake as an 81 year old woman living alone, I am so thankful you have not encountered a dishonest employee who would try to take advantage of you financially.  

You are not willing to help yourself by considering an alternative living arrangement that would put you in a safe and secure environment.   I truly believe the main reason your husband tried to provide well for you financially is because he knew there would come a time you would need to leave that house, and that you living with your son was not going to be an option.   Bob is always there for you, but as an adult child dealing with a mom with dementia, I will tell you straight up that I will always do what I can to help my mother, but I honestly do not believe we could live together in the same house right now, period.   

I think you are aware of the real fear factor you are dealing with in the house.  Your husband took care of, and managed everything.   Whatever needed done, he handled it, and you didn’t have to be concerned about anything house related until he was gone.  He had his routine, you had yours, and you still continue doing what you’ve always done.   I never felt you understood a lot of what was going on with your husbands health issues before he passed.  At the time you stated his problems from time to time, but I don’t think you knew what was going on.  In these years since he died, you have had unpleasant surprises to process after reading the cause of death on his death certificate.   I do believe what you learned after his death weighs heavily on you, and your discomfort in the home environment alone shows thru your high anxiety and fear.   

Your situation is not getting better, and you know that.   I don’t think you talk about your home life situation with your doctor, because you don’t want to hear him say anything that is going to change your routine.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop  very good summary.  The noise is not the issue.

@halfpint1  starts new threads about the noise quite often, and those not familiar with her past posts, chime in (trying to assist) but there are many more unresolved problems here 

I wish I could do more to help....as many of us do.  

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1.  Just for the record, homes for seniors are no longer "rest homes".  My dad lived in a 3 story apartment building which had various levels of care.  He was in independent living in a one bedroom apartment on ground floor with sliding patio door to outside, million dollar mountain view and gas fireplace.  He had his own furniture and did his own laundry.  A maid did the cleaning, changed linens.  He took his dog with him.  Most residents had pets.  He had dinner nightly in the dining room but made his own breakfast and lunch in his little kitchen.  They provided transportation to grocery, mall, appointments although many drove their own cars.  Plenty of people to talk to, activities etc.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment