Honored Contributor

Yes that's correct.  But you move to a medicaid facility.  You don't have a choice where to go.  This is the part I wanted to clarify because her statement suggested that medicaid would pay for any place you wanted to go.

I know people who have had to put their parent in a medicaid facility and the facility does very little for patients other than basic medical care.  They pretty much just feed and bathe them and give them medication.  Everything else is on family members.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota   Yes, you are right.  My Dad was in a nursing home.  When his money  was gone, Medicaid paid.  They set a cost amount that pays a certain amount of money.  That money pays for a semi-private room not a private room.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 

I just wanted to clarify that here in Indiana, many of the nursing homes provide both semi private and private rooms.....depending on where you are financially.  The last home my Dad was in simply moved him from a private room to a semi-private room.  For the most part his care was fine and we became very fond of many of the nurses, therapists, etc.  They offered lots of entertainment and activities. Even their maintenance men and housekeepers became "friends" to Dad.   At one point his nursing home changed hands. Things started going downhill and we didn't like the changes we saw.  At that point we moved him to a different facility.  We found that privately owned is better.   

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1  I would like to know about your cats...how about letting all of us know their names, ages, colors, and some of the cute things they do.  I have 2 cats and they are a big part of my life, completing each day for me for they are my babies!

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 - just checking in to see how you are doing. Did the sound machine help at all? 

Yes, please tell us about your furries. Animals give us so much comfort throughout the good times and tough times. 

I have a Maltese named Beau who is the light of my life. He is a "mama's" boy and follows me everywhere. I also have an African Grey parrot named Simon (who after many, many years has decided to lay eggs - so I guess he is a she and should be called Simone, lol.

Honored Contributor

If the only problem is the noise, I say learn to cope with the noise and carry on. The sound machine is good. Play a radio or music during the day, sleep sounds at night.

If I couldn't figure it out and there were no other symptoms, I'd just do my best to accept it as a new weird aspect to my life. I'd assume it was some sort of mild brain hicuup going on, or a weird form of tinnitus that had to do with the air pressure or something or other unique to my house.

But if I heard other things or experienced other inexplicable symptoms, I'd go for an MRI. Best of luck and best wishes to you, @halfpint1 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I don't think it's wise for people to be too much alone.  As far as nursing homes being too expensive....if you run out of money..... medicaid pays for everything. If this is the way you choose to live the rest of your life, my dear lady, just know that this is probably what it will be the rest of your life.  I believe that if you do the same things, in the same way, your life will not change....it simply remains the same.  Ask yourself....can you be happy with that?  Do you have a church or a pastor you could confide in?  Do you have friends?  I think that is so important. People weren't meant to be "islands unto themselves".  It's not a healthy way to live.   

When you run out of money, you are moved to a facility that accepts Medicare and is priced for Medicare.  Many are not that great.  You don't go into Sunrise in a private 1 bedroom and then suddenly the bill goes to Medicare.

@VaBelle35  @jubilant   VaBelle35 you are right to being shipped off to a facility that accepts Medicare.  My parents were paying seven thousand a month and if they ran out of money Medicare was definitely not paying. They would have been shipped right out.

Must depend on the State you live.   Here once you are in a facility they cannot transfer you if need to go on Medicaid

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Contributor

Re: Among friends--noise Half pint 1

To Half pint 1:I hear air and a hissing sound that come and go. I  thought it could be the electric in the house and no i have not been tested and maybe i should be. But i did work in a noisy factory for many years so i blame that.. I don't hear the noise when  outside because there are so many other noises right now i am hearing farm equipment earlier today some one shared their stereo with the neighbor hood which happens most week ends and now  it plays week also days so when it's bed time the music is still my head. I don't

bother to turn them in the police have too many other problems to deal with. Used to be a great neighbor hood not so much any more. Any way i live alone also since my husband passed and i will not put my self in a senior's only home and no one else will either i am capable of taking care  of myself, the house work, pay my bills , feed my dog daily other wise i am self sufficient and my health is good so far so like you Half pint i am no where ready for a home and the air you hear in your ears could be part of life!

Esteemed Contributor

ScarletDove I will talk aout my cats over at the pet place. Thanks for being interested.