Esteemed Contributor

Re: Among Friends Grief Support Group

@colliemom4 wrote:

@NYC Susan  I think anyone who's lost a parent can relate to what you are saying. I'm glad you shared.

Thank you, @colliemom4.  I hesitated to share, and I'm still a little uncomfortable with it, so I really do appreciate your kindness.

Respected Contributor

I'm trying but keep erasing.....

Such sadness in the posts I've read....I can relate.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Regular Contributor

Respected Contributor

I wish someone, anyone would have told me or even HINTED they both would die....like give me a few days so I could at least have told them or asked them or something....something loving... I must have known deep down at the hospital....I recorded the call...to my dad...I sang him Happy Birthday.....he died the next morning. I called, nurse said he'd died....she said she was in his room and he was waving his arms...........and she (nurse) said she left the room. When she returned, he was dead....

Why did she leave his room? I do not understand this. I'd been there but no one said a word to me that he was going to die....Such a mess....

My only comfort still, is I saw a beautiful large cross on the wall in front of him.... I remember that... Why did they not bring my mother over from the other hospital to see him? They were married 69 years....their love was like no other. My poor mom. I love them so much. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

@cbrite    They knew you loved them. They knew  you wanted to be there for them. I wanted to be there for my a father also and my husband. But we can’t be there all the time. I wasn’t. 

I had a terrible attack of hives. The Dr gave instructions to give me a shot of epinephrine. The nurse mistakenly gave it in the I V. I felt like I was dying going through a tunnel and yelled to my son to go away. I didn’t want him to see me die. I didn’t want it to be hard for him. He wouldn’t leave me but I wanted him to. 

Maybe your Dad felt the same way. 

My mother died from an asthma attack, she was at a senior residence and they came when she called. But I wasn’t there, I couldn’t help her. I had just talked to her earlier like I did every night. Maybe that’s what she wanted. 

We keep thinking, “what if.......” but we can’t change what has happened. We were there for them when we could be. I think they knew that!

Regular Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@cbrite    They knew you loved them. They knew  you wanted to be there for them. I wanted to be there for my a father also and my husband. But we can’t be there all the time. I wasn’t. 

I had a terrible attack of hives. The Dr gave instructions to give me a shot of epinephrine. The nurse mistakenly gave it in the I V. I felt like I was dying going through a tunnel and yelled to my son to go away. I didn’t want him to see me die. I didn’t want it to be hard for him. He wouldn’t leave me but I wanted him to. 

Maybe your Dad felt the same way. 

My mother died from an asthma attack, she was at a senior residence and they came when she called. But I wasn’t there, I couldn’t help her. I had just talked to her earlier like I did every night. Maybe that’s what she wanted. 

We keep thinking, “what if.......” but we can’t change what has happened. We were there for them when we could be. I think they knew that!

❤️ @1Snickers @cbrite 

Frequent Contributor

💔💔💔

Valued Contributor

Just found this thread and so glad I did.  

Having a hard time without my husband of 50 years.  He passed in 2017.  Some days are so very hard.  I have joined a grief group and have made new caring friends.

I am in tears just typing this...

Honored Contributor

@countrylady wrote:

Just found this thread and so glad I did.  

Having a hard time without my husband of 50 years.  He passed in 2017.  Some days are so very hard.  I have joined a grief group and have made new caring friends.

I am in tears just typing this...

@countrylady 

I am so sorry you are suffering the pain of the loss of your husband. 💔

My husband and and I were also together close to 50 years.  I lost him last year.  I still can’t believe that he’s actually gone.  I try not to think of that.  I try to think of the good times.  But you’re right—sometimes it’s just so hard.  Corny as it sounds, I really do feel that my heart has been ripped out of my chest.  

But we just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Some days it’s one step forward and one step back.

🙏🕊❤️

Valued Contributor

Just read your response and thank you.  Today was hard; got out of bed but that's for the day,  You will be in my prayers.