Respected Contributor

American Heart Association CPR For Nurses And Nurse Assistants?

Hi, Does anyone know why the nurse asistants don't have to take the written test for CPR anymore but the nurses do? i am a nurse and I was told by a Nurse Assitsant that I work with that they no  longer have to take the written test  and she didn't know why but the nurses still do. I don't get it CPR is CPR no matter who you are and everyone get the same certificate. Never heard of this before.Has anyone else heard of this? TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: American Heart Association CPR For Nurses And Nurse Assistants?

How do you even know if that's true?  I wouldn't believe it just because someone told me.  You must have a Director of Nursing.....ask her or him.

Esteemed Contributor

That is not true. Both must take both the written and skills portions for certification. I know this for a fact.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for confirming this  for me but where I work it is true. I will have to call the AHA and ask them why. Thanks for your replies.You all just confirmed for me that you do still have to take it.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Hi, Does anyone know why the nurse asistants don't have to take the written test for CPR anymore but the nurses do? i am a nurse and I was told by a Nurse Assitsant that I work with that they no  longer have to take the written test  and she didn't know why but the nurses still do. I don't get it CPR is CPR no matter who you are and everyone get the same certificate. Never heard of this before.Has anyone else heard of this? TIA

@cuddlesmama- it might be regional....I am a nurse as well but retired...nursing assistants were not required to do CPR training, it was optional but most opted to do so.  For nurses, it was always mandatory but the written and practical were always the same for both but my guess would be that the level of responsibility is different.  As a nurse, you are responsible so the depth of knowledge and skill is different. 

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@cuddlesmama- it might be regional....I am a nurse as well but retired...nursing assistants were not required to do CPR training, it was optional but most opted to do so.  For nurses, it was always mandatory but the written and practical were always the same for both but my guess would be that the level of responsibility is different.  As a nurse, you are responsible so the depth of knowledge and skill is different. 

Thank you for your response. I know up until 3 years ago they did take both tests and now they don't maybe your are right and it has changed. I w ill find out as I am curious. Thanks again for your reply.