Valued Contributor

How does that make you feel? Annoyed or relieved as a customer? 

I was just thinking how big Amazon has actually became. I know that it used to me a small website that sold used books. What bothers me now is that these corporations started out as a way to make life easy for the consumers but are now kinda controlling their lives. I worry about the safety of food and meats because corporations focus on profit and cutting costs and that bothers me when someone does that with our food supply. I mean i still wanna see farms and farmers growing food from the ground. I wanna see animals treated with kindness and given a good life on farms. It just worries me with corporations taking so much control. Your thought? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon buying whole foods

[ Edited ]

I believe that's old news.  Amazon bought Whole Foods last June, 2017.

I haven't seen any change in my Whole Foods; it still has incredibly fresh produce and meat, for the same high prices.  But now I can spend $10 at WF and get a $10 Prime Day credit!

Respected Contributor

Control over me? No company, besides my employer, controls me. Last I checked I have free will as to where I source my supplies that I choose to purchase where I purchase from. One advantage in living in a democracy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used to eat at their salad bar and shop at Whole Foods fairly regularly...we are acquainted with the employees at the food court and other employees in the store.  Yes, there have been changes........small but probably overtime significant in profit due to cost cutting measures.  We have stopped eating at the salad bar/ prepared food as regularly as we used to.

@mintedrose  Worry will not change your concerns, but the choices you make certainly will.  You might want to read Wiill Tuttle's landmark book and take a look at his website. The most significant first step would be to stop supporting the meat and dairy industry,  Given your concerns, I would be surprised if you haven't.  It is a beautiful life long journey when your heart is concerned for others and you will find yourself much happier/healthier throughout the process.  

Respected Contributor

It was surprising  to learn of the WF acquisition, but it doesn’t worry me. There are many, many other places to shop. I think you’ll continue to see Amazon grow. I like Jeff Bezos too. 

I like Amazon but don’t feel happy with all their packing material which goes to landfills, especially those awful plastic pillows. I wish they would use wadded brown paper like chewy pet supplies. If you order a number of items from Amazon, often they come in separate shipments which doesn’t help either.

Did people think Sears was getting too big with that phone book-sized catalog?

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I haven't seen any change in my Whole Foods; it still has incredibly fresh produce and meat, for the same high prices.  But now I can spend $10 at WF and get a $10 Prime Day credit!

Hi @Caaareful Shopper.  Yes this happened awhile ago. Prices do seem the same. Wegman’s is planning to open here within 2 yrs. (already purchased the land) & that may be the kiss of death for many of our food stores in the area. Kroger’s are already closing....different reasons, though.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Hi @Caaareful Shopper.  Yes this happened awhile ago. Prices do seem the same. Wegman’s is planning to open here within 2 yrs. (already purchased the land) & that may be the kiss of death for many of our food stores in the area. Kroger’s are already closing....different reasons, though.

@Shanus  Excellent point!  Now that you mention it, the closest Wegman's to me is 10 miles away, and opened three years ago.  Two of the three local grocery stores much closer to me completely renovated within those three years, so now they look like large gourmet (aka Whole Foods/Wegman's) grocery stores.  The consumer is benefiting right now, but only time will tell what the next 5 years or so will bring. 

Honored Contributor

Where have you been?  Amazon bought Whole Foods quite a while a go.  Have you been off planet for the past 70 years?  The corporatization of America, well actually the world has been going on for decades.  Most of food comes from huge corporate farming establishments and has for many, many years.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

But now I can spend $10 at WF and get a $10 Prime Day credit!

Thank you! I have been wondering about this program!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@mintedrose@Caaareful Shopper@Shanus@Another new name Sue

I just now tried to install the AMAZON app for the Whole Foods program.

GIANT FAIL!

This developer made a huge mistake, apparently, since in order to use the app, one has to “allow content from unknown sources.

Your Android device may require you to enable the Unknown Sources setting.”

This practice is recognized as completely unsafe.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~