Honored Contributor

If these are good friends I would have said - I wish you would have told me before today for cripes sake! Ok more for the rest of us. 

The wine thing - I have nothing to say about that - seems pretty goofy.

Respected Contributor

No, in my opinion, you are not being too sensitive.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I too sensitive?

[ Edited ]

@dex: If indeed these women were observing Daniel Fast or something similar it was their responsibility to tell the hostess and group at the beginning of the month. The group might have agreed to skip January's dinner and ask the OP to host for February instead. A hostess' special skills do not include mind reading of her guests.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you're too sensitive - it was rude and very lacking in consideration to you as the hostess. 

But I think it is even more discourteous for anyone to criticize our grammar here.  We are not here to be academics and adhere to strict grammatical rules... we're here to converse and exchange opinions, and I doubt that many of us are as careful with our grammar here as we would be under different circumstances.  JMO.

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

A little and your grammar is slightly off. Because I am a "fussy" eater I usually will bring my own food. No one seems to mind. If they do-too bad.

@Group 5 minus 1...really, you felt the need to mention her grammar??

And yes to the OP I would be irked!

Respected Contributor

i would be put out too.   everyone knows that when entertaining you don't do the choosing shopping cooking 5 minutes before serving a meal to guests.  you plan and shop and sometimes prepare ahead.  i consider this inconsiderate on their part.  i would invite over some real friends and have a feast!

Esteemed Contributor

@catmamma wrote:

Last night I had several women friends over for dinner.  This is a monthly tradition and we each take turns.  I prepared what I thought was a healthy meal, but the day before 2 of them contacted me and  announced they were on special diets, and wouldn't be eating any of the food I would prepare. I had already done my shopping and had some of the dishes prepared.  I thought that since they knew we were getting together, the date had been picked in December, that they could have given me more than 1 days notice of their intentions.  Not only that, we have wine with our meal and 2 others besides the originals indicated they had given up wine for the month of January.  So here I have food that isn't going to be eaten by 2 of them and wine that won't be drank by 4 of them.  Food and wine isn't cheap and I was a little put out by their lack of courtesy.  Am I overreacting?

I would have offered them Saltine crackers with a glass of water to wash them down........very inconsiderate of them....

Honored Contributor

@queendivaI agree with you but as these women are friends I would cut them a little slack.If they continued to be discourteous I would rethink doing anything special for them.I would probably suggest eating in a restaurant where there is a varied menu.

Honored Contributor

I would have told them to bring their own food and would have kept what I bought for myself.  If everyone has different dietary needs, that's what restaurants are for.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all your replies and opinions.  They are dear friends and that's why I didn't say anything.  Also everyone is still reeling from Friday and I didn't want to distress them further.  Saltines and Water!  I never thought of that.