Frequent Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who does not have a loving family and lots of friends?

No my friend you are not alone. I am 69, I have no husband or children, my parents are deceased and my two sister live in another state, but with that being said I accept the hand that God has dealt me and celebrate the holidays with my two dogs whom I love to pieces. I try to live in the moment and not give a lot of thought to the future. Wishing you and your husband a blessed holiday.  

Valued Contributor

Many many people are alone. The pandemic has exasperated our aloneness. In addition, some parents have adult children who have estranged. It can be very painful. I have been on a 2+ years program to make new friends. The pandemic threw a monkey wrench into this. I don't feel 100% successful at my plan but I have to keep trying. Most of my friends are older than me and they have all taken the pandemic in ways that drive me crazy and have ended our budding friendships. Some wanted to be overly careful as in living in extreme fear and getting angry at me for going to the grocery store. Others have felt sitting in a small room together inside, talking for hours was fine, no masks, and everyone being social with lots of people in everyday life. Sigh. It's not good for humans to be alone all the time. 

Honored Contributor

PURE JOY AND LOVE....NEVER ALONE

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

pure love

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Contributor

Definitely not alone!!

Esteemed Contributor

@@@Re: Am I the only one who does not have a loving family and lots of friends?

@chiclet 

@chiclet wrote:

My husband and I feel sometimes like we are the only ones who do not have loving children and grandchildren to spend the holidays with ( I am talking about non covid times).  We have children (not with each other) and they could care less about us.  I never hear from them unless I contact them.  I have had friends through the years but either we lost touch by moving or got different jobs etc etc and maybe we email occasionally or meet sometimes for lunch.  We always feel so lonely and think all we have is each other which is actually true.  When one of us goes we cannot count on anyone for help or support.  I just wonder if we are the only ones.  It seems that way...it seems everyone has family to love them.  When I was young I never thought I would wind up like this.   Holidays always emphasize it.  

I have the same problem.  My husband died.  Just me and the  fur baby. I had a fire and at 84, was with the hose trying to put it out, waiting for the firemen to come. The backyard bushes were on fire. Neighbor had called fire dept. I was sleeping.  Everything ok now.  One son lives a mile away.  This was two weeks ago and he still has not come over.  The grandson I send care pkg to, has never been over since last year when he needed a place to stay. Haven,t heard from him since, but he accepts the food through my son who delivers it.  Not even a phone call.  I didn,t expect it.  Have the surplus food, I had  no expectations, but it would be nice to hear from someone.

After fire fighters PUT out the fire and dug up the bushes and left apologizing for the mess, I spent 4 hours cleaning up and chopping burnt bushes.  No One in family called after they found out, to see if I was ok.

I have about 8 grandchildre,,  they are in late 30,s and about 10 greattgrandchildren, and hear from none of them.  Did a lot of things with them and brought a lot of things for them.  Took them to DL

twice when I was younger.  Everyone loved grandma when she was giving.  Now they don,t want to be around the elderly. Recently parents fault. My kids when they were young were taught o treat their Grandmother with respect.  My sad story is too long to tell, but, I keep my spirits up and happy for each day i am above ground.  I find something good to do each day.  I keep busy in mind and body.  Their lost.

Sorry, you are going through.  Find fun things to do.  Keep busy.  Not easy, but don,t let them get to you.  Enjoy each day, never know when it,s your last.

Esteemed Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Hubby and I didn't have a lot of friends. WE have a daughter and her husband.  We have sibling all in another state all but 1 completely estranged which is fine, whatever.

My husband passed away 2 months ago so I am ot feeling Christmas.  The isolation is unbearable.

While he and I always looked forward to Christmas together (our favorite time of the year) this year because of him not being here.  With COVID I cannot even go out and see people.

No you are not alone. 

@Miss Pepsi ...I am so sorry for your loss.  I live with my daughter and I might as well live alone for all the company I get from her.  I hope you can at least spend Christmas with one friend so you won't be alone.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Re: @@@Re: Am I the only one who does not have a loving family and lots of friends?

@qvcaddition wrote:

@chiclet 

@chiclet wrote:

My husband and I feel sometimes like we are the only ones who do not have loving children and grandchildren to spend the holidays with ( I am talking about non covid times).  We have children (not with each other) and they could care less about us.  I never hear from them unless I contact them.  I have had friends through the years but either we lost touch by moving or got different jobs etc etc and maybe we email occasionally or meet sometimes for lunch.  We always feel so lonely and think all we have is each other which is actually true.  When one of us goes we cannot count on anyone for help or support.  I just wonder if we are the only ones.  It seems that way...it seems everyone has family to love them.  When I was young I never thought I would wind up like this.   Holidays always emphasize it.  

I have the same problem.  My husband died.  Just me and the  fur baby. I had a fire and at 84, was with the hose trying to put it out, waiting for the firemen to come. The backyard bushes were on fire. Neighbor had called fire dept. I was sleeping.  Everything ok now.  One son lives a mile away.  This was two weeks ago and he still has not come over.  The grandson I send care pkg to, has never been over since last year when he needed a place to stay. Haven,t heard from him since, but he accepts the food through my son who delivers it.  Not even a phone call.  I didn,t expect it.  Have the surplus food, I had  no expectations, but it would be nice to hear from someone.

After fire fighters PUT out the fire and dug up the bushes and left apologizing for the mess, I spent 4 hours cleaning up and chopping burnt bushes.  No One in family called after they found out, to see if I was ok.

I have about 8 grandchildre,,  they are in late 30,s and about 10 greattgrandchildren, and hear from none of them.  Did a lot of things with them and brought a lot of things for them.  Took them to DL

twice when I was younger.  Everyone loved grandma when she was giving.  Now they don,t want to be around the elderly. Recently parents fault. My kids when they were young were taught o treat their Grandmother with respect.  My sad story is too long to tell, but, I keep my spirits up and happy for each day i am above ground.  I find something good to do each day.  I keep busy in mind and body.  Their lost.

Sorry, you are going through.  Find fun things to do.  Keep busy.  Not easy, but don,t let them get to you.  Enjoy each day, never know when it,s your last.

The older I get the less I understand people.  It does seem like when they don't need you for something they dissapear.  I have noticed that the friends I have had through the years that are close to their children and grandchildren seem to be the children and grands that need something...money, babysitting etc.  My son loved his grandmother more than anything when very young but as a teenager I had to guilt him to go see her. He has treated me the same way.  I hurt just hearing your story.  

Super Contributor

Re: @@@Re: Am I the only one who does not have a loving family and lots of friends?

@chiclet wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@chiclet 

@chiclet wrote:

The older I get the less I understand people.  It does seem like when they don't need you for something they dissapear.  I have noticed that the friends I have had through the years that are close to their children and grandchildren seem to be the children and grands that need something...money, babysitting etc.  My son loved his grandmother more than anything when very young but as a teenager I had to guilt him to go see her. He has treated me the same way.  I hurt just hearing your story.  

I believe our culture has played a big part with people being selfish.  America is very individualistic in nature.  Other countries and cultures are family-based and your identity is based off of that. Another reason is that women used to stay home so there was community built around kids and neighbors.  Now just about all women work and people are much more transient. When family don't live near each other kids will barely know (or care about) their grandparents either.  It's all about priorities.

Super Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Hubby and I didn't have a lot of friends. WE have a daughter and her husband.  We have sibling all in another state all but 1 completely estranged which is fine, whatever.

My husband passed away 2 months ago so I am ot feeling Christmas.  The isolation is unbearable.

While he and I always looked forward to Christmas together (our favorite time of the year) this year because of him not being here.  With COVID I cannot even go out and see people.

No you are not alone. 

I am so very sorry to hear of your husbands passing......... during this time it would be especially hard that is for sure.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  This is a very trying time right now..........sending you the Biggest Hugs