Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who does not have a loving family and lots of friends?

[ Edited ]

My DH has a big and loving family, but we are somewhat distanced because of our interests. It will be hard for my DH over the holidays because gatherings were a big part of his life.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

At least some of you have husbands.

I don't even have that.

After my dad died,  his side of the family all but forgot that I even exist.

It's been over a year since we last spoke on the phone, and I was always the one calling.

Forget that!

I am not the type of person who begs for attention or affection.

I figure that it's their loss.

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't even have that.

It's been over a year since we last spoke on the phone, and I was always the one calling.

Forget that!

My husbands family stopped talking to me as well.  Apparently they were faking it (not at all well I might add) for 40 years.  Not sure what I did to them other than love their relative wholey and unconditionally for over 40 years. Their loss not mine.

As for my sister, apparently this is all about her and the only time I hear from her is when she needs money but that has been the case for many many years. 

I do have good friends that check on me though and for them I will always be grateful.  My daughter is in constant contact as are her inlaws.  

Honored Contributor

You're not alone.

Oh, the stories I could tell.

Esteemed Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't even have that.

Forget that!

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't even have that.

Forget that!

My husbands family stopped talking to me as well.  Apparently they were faking it (not at all well I might add) for 40 years.  Not sure what I did to them other than love their relative wholey and unconditionally for over 40 years. Their loss not mine.

As for my sister, apparently this is all about her and the only time I hear from her is when she needs money but that has been the case for many many years. 

I do have good friends that check on me though and for them I will always be grateful.  My daughter is in constant contact as are her inlaws.  

@Miss Pepsi 

I was the one who took care of their uncle, whom they claimed to love oh, so much, and who helped to raise them when they were kids.

No one else stepped up to the plate to do it.

I don't know what their problem is, and frankly, I really don't care.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

With "relatives" like mine.....you don't need enemies (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

Yes.  Am in a similar situation.  Sunday's are so difficult.  I would give up a year of my life to be able to "go home" and spend the entire day with my parents again.  If anyone reading this still have a parent or siblings, I advise to reach out to them.  When times are back to normal, I am never spending a holiday alone again.  I have siblings and friends without children.  Alone Together is depressing!

Honored Contributor

@chiclet   You are not alone.   It is basically DH and me--no children, we each have a brother.  But as my father used to say "Life is what you make it."  I read/hear so many stories about people who have serious conflicts within their families.  Make your own "family" whatever that may mean to you.

Trusted Contributor

Loneliness is real, but it doesn't mean you can't do something about it.  You have to get outside of yourself and focus on something other than the fact that there are only two of you.  Why not volunteer for something?  There are plenty of opportunities out there and some may not even require leaving the house.  Even in this Covid world, there are many, many organizations begging for volunteers. Right at the moment I'm involved in collecting food for children in need.  When I put the word out I'd be doing that, the response was overwhelming.  Helping others can make you feel good, give you purpose and make you feel much less lonely.

Valued Contributor

Aubegirl,Re: Am I the only one who does not have a loving family and lots of friends?

Aubegirl, your thoughts aren't yours alone.  Even before covid, I would think everyone is just into the habits of being too busy. then came covid when alot had to hault and what a surprise.  I'm not always successful but I first try to deal with me.  I try and check if I get too busy to be of use or joy to someone.  I just like the sharing of food, noisey kids and shared thoughts.  It is a work in progress even to see I comply.  You aren't alone.  If no one else can give yourself a hug and look for someone you could who can see you care.  Yikes we can't even bake or sit over a cup of coffee.  I'll remind God of all our needs. 

Honored Contributor

If you feel this way then you MUST prepare for your future. See an attorney. Get your wills in place. Talk about what will happen when one of you goes and the other is alone. I know this is hard to do,but.......for your own peace of mind it must be done.