Honored Contributor

Re: Always Thankful at the Bird's Nest - November 2016

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!  Nice weather this week.

Due to our

@Bird mama wrote:

Welcome back dear friends and visitors to the Bird's Nest for November.

Image result for harvest birds

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

Due to our security gate not working properly, i.e., staying open constantly, DH says he can fix it and he has tomorrow or calling a gate company, deer have been coming into my garden.

This morning, the girl saw them and began barking so I went out and made a lot of noise and the one left, or so I thought.  When I opened the door to go inside, the girl escaped and took off, and then tons of deer began leaping all over the place, shocked me, and I then discovered that they can also jump over a four foot gate at the end of the garden.  So now, the darned dog is who knows where.  They could have trampled her and I wouldn't know it for a while.  DH will have to climb the steep slopes to look for her tonight IF she doesn't return today.

Stay tuned and hope for the best.

UPDATE:  I happened to look out the bathroom window and saw her on the front walk.  I flew downstairs and when I was nearing her, she took off chasing the four deer that were standing staring at her, so now she is off the property in the woodsy creek across the road, so may never see her again.

FINALE!  I looked out the bathroom window again, I can see the driveway from there and only there, and she was toodling up the driveway, so ran downstairs and she toodled right to me, wet and muddy underneath, but safe.  This dog drives me NUTS, lol!

She has never been off the property on foot, so I didn't think she would know where to go.  Maybe the the deer won't come back now that they know there is a deer chaser on the property, lol.

Honored Contributor

Heather Cottage: #Heather #Cottage ~ Window and bottles.:

Mousie,  I hope you can find her quickly.   Kind of scary.   My brother has trouble keeping the deer out of his garden over in Illinois.  He has the whole thing fenced, about 5 feet I think, and they still get in and have a nice meal on his veggies.   Fingers crossed that you find her soon.  

Honored Contributor

Image result for Autumn

Honored Contributor

@possummink wrote:

Heather Cottage: #Heather #Cottage ~ Window and bottles.:

Mousie,  I hope you can find her quickly.   Kind of scary.   My brother has trouble keeping the deer out of his garden over in Illinois.  He has the whole thing fenced, about 5 feet I think, and they still get in and have a nice meal on his veggies.   Fingers crossed that you find her soon.  

@possummink  Thanks, possum, I updated my post above this post.  It all happened quickly, she came back yawning, lol, and looking contrite. Smiley Happy  She and I had our exercise for the day.

Honored Contributor

Related image:

Mousie.  That's great news.  I'm glad she's back save and sound and probably so proud of herself, for ridding your gardens and property of those 'invading' deer.   Seriously,  she's probably ready for a nap after getting the mud splatters off of her undercarriage.   You're probably ready for a nap too.   Hope the gate can get fixed soon,  though as you said, they jumped the 4 foot fence.    Glad she knew the way home too.Heart

Honored Contributor

Image result for Female Oriole BirdThought everyone would enjoy this picture.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

That little girl is a firecracker!  So glad she isn't hurt.  Sorry the deer came frolicking in your yard.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl

That little girl is a firecracker!  So glad she isn't hurt.  Sorry the deer came frolicking in your yard.

@Bird mama  As I have mentioned before, one track mind.  I am shocked that she knew how to get back here, of course I was calling her name nonstop, may have helped her to find her way.  There are wild animals in that creek, not to mention hawks and owls, and she is only ten pounds, well, a little moe now as she has been eating a chewy every morning. Smiley Happy

My now deceased next door neighbor used to take every new dog he got for a walk every day the same route, until he was sure the dog knew it's way back home, don't know how he could tell, then he never walked it again, but did use it for bird hunting, I highly disapprove.

Honored Contributor

When Max was young, before I discovered the benefits of a tracking harness, rofl, he used to wear a soft collar that was made like this

Image result for soft dog collars

Dog had a shepherd's neck, really thick hair so I never made the collar really tight.  His head was almost smaller than his neck.  

Anyway, I was living in a flat (the complex I lived in called it a townhouse or some nonsense like that).  I took him out back where there was grass, some woods and other the other side of the woods a very busy highway.

So one day, at dusk, I took him to tinkle and stretch his legs and he looks up at me, smiles (I swear he did) and slips his head out of the collar and takes off like a dirty shirt.  I started chasing him, until he headed into the wooded area which wasn't really deep.  My fear was he would dart out of the woods and onto the highway.

I immediately dropped to the ground and said Maxey (in a blood curdling, high pitched voice).  I was bent over on my knees and he stopped dead and came back to see what the heck was happening.

He was on a wide banded, very comfortable, tracking harness after that.  Actually Dr Fosters and Smith were the only company that sold them at that time and would you believe the dog is gone 8 years and I still have the spare?

Watching them run off, where you know there is danger feels like someone with an ice cold hand reached into your chest cavity and just squeezed your heart.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

When Max was young, before I discovered the benefits of a tracking harness, rofl, he used to wear a soft collar that was made like this

Image result for soft dog collars

Dog had a shepherd's neck, really thick hair so I never made the collar really tight.  His head was almost smaller than his neck.  

Anyway, I was living in a flat (the complex I lived in called it a townhouse or some nonsense like that).  I took him out back where there was grass, some woods and other the other side of the woods a very busy highway.

So one day, at dusk, I took him to tinkle and stretch his legs and he looks up at me, smiles (I swear he did) and slips his head out of the collar and takes off like a dirty shirt.  I started chasing him, until he headed into the wooded area which wasn't really deep.  My fear was he would dart out of the woods and onto the highway.

I immediately dropped to the ground and said Maxey (in a blood curdling, high pitched voice).  I was bent over on my knees and he stopped dead and came back to see what the heck was happening.

He was on a wide banded, very comfortable, tracking harness after that.  Actually Dr Fosters and Smith were the only company that sold them at that time and would you believe the dog is gone 8 years and I still have the spare?

Watching them run off, where you know there is danger feels like someone with an ice cold hand reached into your chest cavity and just squeezed your heart.

@Bird mama  Exactly!  Little dogs don't know they are little, and the weird thing is that she doesn't bark, except if she sees something through the slider, but it is a weird bark with a tiny howl, really funny to hear, Remmy is a loud barker so I would have thought that would have sent them running, no a ten pound dog did it.

I would think dogs would bark at a running deer and while chasing them.  She didn't scare them enough, because as I was closing the bathroom window, it's now cold here at this time of day, I saw a darned deer staring up at me headed under the stairs and over to get into the yard.  I banged on the window and my ring band made a great noise, lol, so it took off.  I guess we will keep this up until they get the message.

I love deer, but not in my yard, especially so many of them, startling.  We have the same growth as most around here except maybe for roses, but am sure people have them, and the kicker is, we are the only property fenced and gated!  Tons of grass like weeds after the recent rain, so there is no reason they should come here.