Respected Contributor

Re: Always Thankful at the Bird's Nest - November 2016

Possum, your friend being from North Carolina makes sense to me. I was born and raised in that gorgeous state. Often wish I was back there.Have mountains I look at each and every day but they are NOT like the mountains of NC. Sigh.

Shame on me but I MUST fill the feeders tomorrow. I have been neglecting them and I feel really bad about it but times have changed. Shannon is suppose to be helping me but I never know if or when she will show up and I stay very busy - AND exhausted. I must get out there tomorrow and take care of those feathered one. Washed a load of clothes this evening and I refuse to put them in the dryer - may run them thru an extra rinse early tomorrow and then hang them out. Too tired to do that either - boy howdy I am getting old.

Davey is still improving his grades - am very proud of him but his behavior has been seriously lacking this week as far as beint positive that is. Am more than disappointed about that and also his Mother's attitude toward it. So very sad.

Hope one and all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

naturepunk: Eagle Creek Trail to Punchbowl Falls, Oregon. Photo by NaturePunk.:

Honored Contributor

Home and Country October 2007 via Dress Design & Decor:

Bernie,  Hope the doctor's visits went really great for you.   I hate going to see the doctor, and my dad was a medical doctor.   I did go to several appointments within the past 3 or 4 weeks though. 

What a nice Autumn break for you to have so many days off.  Time to relax, goof off,  sleep in, be a leaf peeper, just having free time.  I hope you enjoy each minute.  

Hope the office gals let you enjoy your 'freedom' from work.  

It's chilly here,  back to sweatshirts with a flannel shirt over that and I'm still cold.  I need to put some socks on as if my feet or nose get cold, I'm cold all over.  Don't get the connection, but once I get my feet or my nose(not easy) warm,  I'm pretty comfortable.  It's supposed to be around 48 tonight.   I'm guessing you'll be a bit cooler than that. Heart

Honored Contributor

Beautiful Northern Cardinal:

Winifred,   I didn't fill the feeders today either.   I kind of forgot to do it, even though I was in the kitchen which is right near the most used feeders.   

I got busy fixing patty pan squash for supper tonight.   I cooked it with onions and tomatoes, added black pepper and butter.  I could make a meal out of just that.  Had some parsley buttered potatoes.  I should have fried them with onions.   Could have used some of your cornbread.  I bake mine in a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet.  I have a good collection of those awesome skillets.  Even have a 12 inch one that has sides that are about 4 inches in height.   Would never willingly part with any of them. Heart

Maybe it would help Davey if his dad would come over for a visit.  You mentioned some time back that he loves being with his dad.  I hope his attitude improves and those grades stay up and get higher.  

Take care and just do what you can.  The work will always be there.  My house shows that to be the truth. Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

A favorite bird, Junco. ❤  IN. 11/4/16:

Junco. ❤ IN. 11/4/16   

Lovesbulldogs,  I found this photo on Facebook, WildBirds Unlimited today.  Juncos in Indiana,   Not sure what part, but I am hoping since we are in the same latitude as Indiana here in Missouri, that they'll be showing up here soon.    Will have to be more regular in putting food out on the drive and parking area. They love to feed on the ground most of the time, with the doves, sparrows, cardinals etc.   Most of those come to the hanging feeders too though and so do the Juncos.  Heart

Respected Contributor

Love the pix of the Cardinal Possum - such gorgeous birds. You are right on track with your thinking - Davey's Dad is already here to spend the weekend - my house will be jammed but it is good for Davey and his little sister also as she comes up with her Dad. I still find it so very sad as the Dad was on top of the world and fell to the bottom quickly - really stupid. He now has no place to call home but does stay with a friend as they work to clean up and fix homes. He cannot take his kids there however. He ran a large auto repair shop in San Bernardino, his boss gave him a house to live in and he was doing well. He met someone who got him on a downward spiral but I do not blame her, HE is responsible for his own actions. He is sure in a pickle and just lost his vehicle as he blew the engine and no $ to do much about it. So sad when we humans just do not stay on track - hurts many. Yes, Davey will benefit from having his Dad visit - his Dad does not yet know about his behavior this week - but he will.

Very chilly this morning - brrr - yet it could be colder for sure. I hear the little one snorting in her bed so suspect it will not be long before she is awake and ready for dry diapers. LOL.

Have a good day one and all. By the way Possum, what kind of squash are you talking about. I just fixed fried yellow squash with onion but never have heard what you describe? Or did I just miss a description of what it was. Am always interested in ways to fix veggies.

MUST do my feeders - I do not fill them daily as that usually is not needed and when they do empty them out I wait a day or two

Honored Contributor

@possummink

Thanks for asking about my doctor day.  My primary doctor is my gyn - he treats me head to toe or refers me if necessary.  One of the original founders of the practice who has since retired and passed away also treated me head to toe.  

Since my appointment was at 11am and I wanted one year to get the bloodwork on the same day as the exam (and I use that term loosely), I decided to fast.  So pretty much I hadn't eaten since I nibbled on a cupcake at 9:30 the night before.  12 hours or more I thought would be good.  Oddly enough, I never got hungry :-)

My appointment was at 11am - I finally was taken to the exam room around 12:15.  I'm used to this (wink).  I told the PA, look, I have a mammogram scheduled for 1:30, he really doesn't even need to do that part of the exam.  I had a hysterectomy so we haven't done the 'other' for many years, he he he.  Nothing to see there folks.

We talked, he gave me the RX for the mammogram and I went to get blood drawn.  Good grief, blood draws and me are an adventure.  I made it easy for the nurse and said, here, try this vein at the wrist - it's been the vein of choice for the past couple of years.  By tube 4, the blood was barely coming out.  She said, you're dehydrated.  I said, I drink anywhere from 3-5 liters of plain water a day.  I drank water since I woke up this morning.  If he had been on time and got me at 11 am, the water I drank on the way here might have helped you, lol.  Honestly, I think 4 tubes of blood might have been too much.  I was filling out a form to have the blood results mailed to me and I put my correct name and street address but I wrote in Detroit as the city.  I haven't lived in Detroit in 15 years.  

I didn't have time to get my first cup of coffee of the day in the few minutes I had to run from the doctor's office to the mammogram center, so I was getting a banging headache.

The mammogram was easy peasy - I went with the digital breast tomosynthesis (3D) this time around.

I hit Pet Supplies Plus and Kmart after the mammo and finally got my first cup of coffee on the road around 2:30.  I ate around 3pm, not because I was hungry, it just felt like the thing to do and I needed to take my vitamins.

Hopefully I won't need to see any doctors now until next March or April will I go for my annual endocrinologist appointment.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@possummink wrote:

A favorite bird, Junco. ❤  IN. 11/4/16:

Junco. ❤ IN. 11/4/16   

Lovesbulldogs,  I found this photo on Facebook, WildBirds Unlimited today.  Juncos in Indiana,   Not sure what part, but I am hoping since we are in the same latitude as Indiana here in Missouri, that they'll be showing up here soon.    Will have to be more regular in putting food out on the drive and parking area. They love to feed on the ground most of the time, with the doves, sparrows, cardinals etc.   Most of those come to the hanging feeders too though and so do the Juncos.  Heart

@possummink

Wow, what a cutie and one of our favorites!  Haven't seen any in our neck of the woods yet but I will be on the lookout for them.  At our former house they would feed on the ground and at the feeders and that was 14 miles from here.  At this house they will only feed on the ground.....have no clue why.  The first year that I saw them I was seeing only one or two of them but last year I saw 4 eating at the same time so they are multiplying!  That sure does make me happy.  Yesterday it was windy  here and the temps reached in the low 50's.  Last night it was 32.  One day we are in the upper 50's and the next the mid 40's so one never knows what to wear.  That is fine with me as I love the cooler temps and the fall is my favorite time of the year.  Thanks possum for posting the picture of the Junco.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

Glad to hear that you have some time off from work but sorry to hear that you had so much running around to doctors and for tests all in one day but at least you got it over with.  Hopefully the rest of the time off that you have you can do some others things and hopefully do something that you enjoy doing.  We are buttoning up the hatch so to speak today getting ready for winter.  Still haven't done the windows but that task will have to be soon. 

Also planting a lot of bulbs for Spring blooms.  Don't mind doing that because it is nice and cool out there today.  Have a great rest of your time off!

Honored Contributor

The bird for the weekend is the Blue Mockingbird

Image result for blue mockingbird

Image result for blue mockingbird

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise