Honored Contributor

It's official.  After 7 years, my nephew and his wife and daughter are moving into their own apartment.  It's hard to believe that Sky was 3 when they moved in and we expected it would be for a year or two.  They needed to pay down bills and clear up some credit issues.  Two bedrooms apartments are around $3K here and they couldn't afford that.  They have a gorgeous apartment in a swanky new apartment complex near us.  Developers here are required to set aside a couple of apartments and rent them based on income.  Renters are chosen by lottery which they won so got the apartment for $1500 a month.  Lease signed, keys in hand, electricity turned on.  It's official!   Daughter #2 has a living room set in storage that she can give them.  Hubby and I promised Sky her dream bedroom.  She's so happy to be having a real bedroom.  Right now her room is a big walk in closet.  The cat is Sky's so he'll be going with them.  We'll have to get our own cat now.  I think after Christmas so I can put all my Christmas decorations out without about a cat.  

Honored Contributor

Good grief, how irresponsible are young people nowadays? Can't imagine having to move in with older relatives as adults with a child. So happy that money management was stressed and taught to us as children along with the importance of getting an education so that we could provide for and take care of ourselves. 

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Good grief, how irresponsible are young people nowadays? Can't imagine having to move in with older relatives as adults with a child. So happy that money management was stressed and taught to us as children along with the importance of getting an education so that we could provide for and take care of ourselves. 

And look how you turned out.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's official.  After 7 years, my nephew and his wife and daughter are moving into their own apartment.  It's hard to believe that Sky was 3 when they moved in and we expected it would be for a year or two.  They needed to pay down bills and clear up some credit issues.  Two bedrooms apartments are around $3K here and they couldn't afford that.  They have a gorgeous apartment in a swanky new apartment complex near us.  Developers here are required to set aside a couple of apartments and rent them based on income.  Renters are chosen by lottery which they won so got the apartment for $1500 a month.  Lease signed, keys in hand, electricity turned on.  It's official!   Daughter #2 has a living room set in storage that she can give them.  Hubby and I promised Sky her dream bedroom.  She's so happy to be having a real bedroom.  Right now her room is a big walk in closet.  The cat is Sky's so he'll be going with them.  We'll have to get our own cat now.  I think after Christmas so I can put all my Christmas decorations out without about a cat.  

Great news. What a wonderful thing you have done for your nephew and his family. This is what family is all about. Congratulations to your nephew, his wife and little Sky!

Respected Contributor

Congrats to your nephew and his family. I wish them the best... And that was a good thing you did by taking them in. 

Honored Contributor

Good for all involved.  Lucky you were there for them.  The cost of apt.'s now are totally ridiculous.  Bet they  appreciated you and your husband. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree --what a great thing you did for your family!! I bet it was difficult at times but you  made wonderful memories for that little girl!! I see nothing wrong with helping out family members  but know it can turn out wrong--you were the exception. So happy for every one!! Probably will be so quiet but a new cat will liven up the place!!! bravo to you!!!

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree,

A good thing for all of you! 

3D Jack O Lantern, Happy Halloween Animated Gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alone at last

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

My parents lived for a time with my grandparents to save money.  This was in the 50s. @RetRN Other relatives did the same, this was also in 50s as well as the 40s and the 60s.

It is not uncommon for extended family to live together.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   I recall when you first mentioned your family had moved in - sheesh 7 years ago?  It was very nice that you and your husband were able to let them live with you and they were able pay down debt...now off to a new place for them!!

I think it is very difficult for anyone to have someone move in with them for an extended lengh of time.  My step daughter moved in with us as a difficult teenager, I wanted to run away from my home  but of course that would have been the wrong thing to do...we went from a quiet house, just me and dh to a teenager, what an eye opener.  I don't regret (nor would I have objected) the living arrangement as she needed support and guidance.  Today she is doing really well.

Enjoy your Christmas decorations this year!