Esteemed Contributor

Re: All I can say is wow........

@geezerette wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

I am glad I started this thread. Learned a lesson. No more tipping the postal carriers. Merry Xmas to all and thanks for stopping by to post.

@apple1964

If you’d like to reward/thank your regular mail carrier for her service through the year, you can give her a small gift or gift card to a retailer (like Starbucks, McDonalds) worth $20 or less.  

If you can’t insure that the specific carrier is going to receive your gift, then, in that case, I wouldn’t give anything.  If she gives you a Christmas card, give her one in return explaining that while you’d like to thank her with a gift, you just learned of these rules.

We have given our mail carriers small token gifts for years, never cash. Usually it’s candy and perhaps a small gift (like a coffee cup) to go with.  I’d really only like to give to my regular carrier, but if I do that, she will share her gift with the substitute carrier that fills in for her days off.  So, I put two of whatever I’m giving in the mail box with cards wishing both carriers a Merry Christmas.  If whoever picks it up that day chooses not to share with the other, that’s between them.  I always have gotten a thank you note, though.

ETA:  It’s quite possible that your carrier herself was not aware of the postal rule about accepting gifts.

I really doubt that.  She should be aware of any and all rules that pertain to her employment.   This would certainly be a convenient one for her to claim not to know.  I wouldn't believe any mail carrier who said he/she wasn't aware.  

Respected Contributor

@q-girl

Those are the attrubutes I picked too.  Make me laugh, have intelligent conversations, and remain faithful.  Actually, other than having intelligent conversations, a dog would provide what I like!  🐶

Regular Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I put in a check in a envelope and put in the mail slip addressed to my mail carrier that day we were away. The mail came and for a few days we did not get the usual thank you as we get every year for at least five years.  yesterday saw a mail delivering the mail to me . I asked him if he delivered mail on Mondays he said yes, I told him that I know he took that envelope and did not give it to Lindsay who we wanted it to go to in the first place and what a 'krappy" thing to do. He turned red I said you did not get away with anything. And I reported it. I was able to go into the bank and stop the check. He messed with the wrong women.

I understand you are upset that your intended receipient did not receive the gift.    You said you confronted the person and made sure he knew you are aware of the situation which is fine.  However, in my opinion you took it too far by reporting it to the Post Office and possibly jeopardizing his employment as well as the regular carrier's.  $5 isn't worth ruining someone's career over in my opinion.  .  

Esteemed Contributor

We don't have a mail carrier, but have all of our packages and first class mail sent to our small post office. They do an amazing job and work very hard. Yesterday, I took each of three clerks a gift and homemade cookies (as I do every year). The new postal clerk almost cried he was so touched. All the items were from the Q, BTW, even the lock and locks with the matching gift bag in which I placed the cookies.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@spent2much

I too give my mailman $25 in a Christmas card every year.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

I put in a check in a envelope and put in the mail slip addressed to my mail carrier that day we were away. The mail came and for a few days we did not get the usual thank you as we get every year for at least five years.  yesterday saw a mail delivering the mail to me . I asked him if he delivered mail on Mondays he said yes, I told him that I know he took that envelope and did not give it to Lindsay who we wanted it to go to in the first place and what a 'krappy" thing to do. He turned red I said you did not get away with anything. And I reported it. I was able to go into the bank and stop the check. He messed with the wrong women.

@apple1964  Since the check is against regulations, your regular carrier shouldn't be accepting them in the first place.  I understand the other carrier most likely kept it but would he be able to cash it if made out to Lindsay??

So both carriers are in the wrong.  Reporting him means she will be questioned, too.

I understand confronting him but I would not have reported him.  Sometimes we need to forgive a transgression and you stopped payment.

Now reporting it means Lindsay could end up in the hot seat especially if it was reported that she always receives a check from you.

I can only say if this was the case she should have not excepted it. This is on her not me. I did not know about this and if she did the wrong thing in the first place she deserves the "hot seat" and also for the Xmas card she sent us to remind us every year that Xnas is coming soon.

@apple1964  Take it easy.  If you didn't know, fine.  She most likely did.  I'm not saying she right and you are wrong.

Our mail carrier back home always gave us a card before Christmas.

All I'm saying is I'd let the whole thing go-just don't give out anything next year.

The carriers may have been wrong but do you really want to stir that pot and perhaps have them lose their jobs over a card and a few $$??

Let it be.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@apple1964  Since the check is against regulations, your regular carrier shouldn't be accepting them in the first place.  I understand the other carrier most likely kept it but would he be able to cash it if made out to Lindsay??

So both carriers are in the wrong.  Reporting him means she will be questioned, too.

I understand confronting him but I would not have reported him.  Sometimes we need to forgive a transgression and you stopped payment.

Now reporting it means Lindsay could end up in the hot seat especially if it was reported that she always receives a check from you.

I can only say if this was the case she should have not excepted it. This is on her not me. I did not know about this and if she did the wrong thing in the first place she deserves the "hot seat" and also for the Xmas card she sent us to remind us every year that Xnas is coming soon.

@apple1964  Take it easy.  If you didn't know, fine.  She most likely did.  I'm not saying she right and you are wrong.

Our mail carrier back home always gave us a card before Christmas.

All I'm saying is I'd let the whole thing go-just don't give out anything next year.

The carriers may have been wrong but do you really want to stir that pot and perhaps have them lose their jobs over a card and a few $$??

Let it be

Esteemed Contributor

Just a update a few days later we got a thank you card from our carrier. So, all is well. Happy new year to all.. Healthy and happy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Obviously the check was for MORE than $5 bucks..she is doing damage control but seriously ...nobody stops payment usually at least $12 to $15 bucks on a $5 check...and how do you know what "he did..?" he may of left it for Lindsey someplace...he may of turned it over to her Supervisor - he may of tossed it - especially since it was only for five-bucks Smiley Wink.

I do not think he tried to cash the check. so why report him and stop payment for five-bucks? .."you know what he did.." what did he do? You have not seen Lindsey so you do not know she did not receive her ahem...cough cough five-dollar check...Smiley Wink

Honesty is the best policy - all you had to do was admit the truth. You were not aware that Federal Regulations prohibited Carriers from receiving monetary gifts. End of story...

In the world today ...somebody not turning over a check for five-bucks is not worth a topic and ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW...

In addition what did she give you a "thank-you" for? I thought payment was stopped on the check and you "knew what he did..."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How can the other mailperson cash the check itf their name wasn't on it?

Why give a check for $5? Put cash in the envelope.

I am guessing the check was a larger one then $5.  It can cost up to $30 or more to stop one. (using a well known bank)