Honored Contributor

Re: All I can say is wow........

1 and 4

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@apple1964 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Mail carriers aren't allowed to accept cash, checks or generic gift cards for any amount.

If it's a gift card it has to be to a specific retailer and under $20.

WOW .. I did not know this. Is this in every state? I live in NJ. If that is the case she should have told me that. I have been doing this for five years now. Thank you for the heads up I will stop this now. And have a chat with her also. Woman MadThat is what I get for begin nice all these years.Woman Surprised

@apple1964

In NJ they can accept $20.00. I always give them  a card with $20 in it and if by mistake a sub gets it ,I would NEVER be so cruel and nasty as to yell and report him/her for it. To be sure  of who gets it,  you should always personally hand it to the person you want to have it.Simple as that !

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma  and others....it doesn't matter which state you are in.  This is federal regulation and to the best of my knowledge all federal agencies have similar regulations.

Super Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

811d0945d9f527fb4b90bb6168639ccd.jpgWoman LOL

#2, #3, and #5. The rest (except #7) are jusrpt icing on the cake.

Hugs . . . Beth 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Respected Contributor

@apple1964

The postal service is a federal service, so the rules cover every state. 

Respected Contributor

@apple1964

Who was the check written to?  How can someone cash a check if it wasn't written to them?  If he signed her name, he's guilty of forgery. 

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Mail carriers aren't allowed to accept cash, checks or generic gift cards for any amount.

If it's a gift card it has to be to a specific retailer and under $20.

WOW .. I did not know this. Is this in every state? I live in NJ. If that is the case she should have told me that. I have been doing this for five years now. Thank you for the heads up I will stop this now. And have a chat with her also. Woman MadThat is what I get for begin nice all these years.Woman Surprised

Yes, it''s in every state because the Post Office is federal.  Only gifts worth $20 or less.  No checks or gift cards that can be exhanged for cash.

I found this:

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

Esteemed Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

We have given our mail carrier a cash gift every year for the 30 years we have been married.  Both in NJ and CT.  Yes -- I have heard that rule -- but know of nobody who does not give our mail carrier a cash Christmas gift.  I actually asked 2 of our carriers over the years if the knew of anybody who had ever gotten in trouble for this and the answer was no.  Our current mail carrier is retiring at the end of December after 35 years.  Never had an issue.

It's still a regulation.  Maybe no one they know has been caught, but that doesn't mean it still couldn't happen, with consequences.  Or that it's right for them to accept gifts that they know are not allowed.

I have much more respect for my mail carrier, who told me a few years ago that there are restrictions, and he could not accept what I had handed to him.  That's the responsible kind of person I want delivering my mail.

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

I put in a check in a envelope and put in the mail slip addressed to my mail carrier that day we were away. The mail came and for a few days we did not get the usual thank you as we get every year for at least five years.  yesterday saw a mail delivering the mail to me . I asked him if he delivered mail on Mondays he said yes, I told him that I know he took that envelope and did not give it to Lindsay who we wanted it to go to in the first place and what a 'krappy" thing to do. He turned red I said you did not get away with anything. And I reported it. I was able to go into the bank and stop the check. He messed with the wrong women.

@apple1964  Since the check is against regulations, your regular carrier shouldn't be accepting them in the first place.  I understand the other carrier most likely kept it but would he be able to cash it if made out to Lindsay??

So both carriers are in the wrong.  Reporting him means she will be questioned, too.

I understand confronting him but I would not have reported him.  Sometimes we need to forgive a transgression and you stopped payment.

Now reporting it means Lindsay could end up in the hot seat especially if it was reported that she always receives a check from you.

I can only say if this was the case she should have not excepted it. This is on her not me. I did not know about this and if she did the wrong thing in the first place she deserves the "hot seat" and also for the Xmas card she sent us to remind us every year that Xnas is coming soon.

Absolutely.  I agree with you.

I would guess that some people know about these regulations and some don't.  But all mail carriers do, and so they're the ones at fault.  It's up to them to refuse gifts that they know very well they're not supposed to accept.