Respected Contributor

Re: All I can say is "wow" ...

@RinaRina  I wonder what new car shopping would be like nowdays with so few models available and months of waiting? Car lots are one quarter full. Used cars are a preminum.

My philosophy is when I have to put alot of money into a vechicle and mileage is getting up  which seems to mean more work, it is time to trade. I was lucky to have purchased  a new one two years ago prior to Covid. I dont travel now much, retired.

No the OP is not unreasonable. In my small  town  of 5000 there are even  six  repair shops  and three dealers, so choices. A consumers time is important as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, you are not being unreasonable.  People get into the habit of using a certain facility and putting up with stuff because they think it is cheaper.  Maybe it is, but I'd swallow hard and try someone else.  Dealers are expensive, but if your car is a whatever, try that dealership once.  Our dealer gives us a loaner if it has to be there overnight.  

Honored Contributor

I'm more concerned about why you needed to leave your driver's license there? My driver's license is always with me.  I've never had to leave it anywhere.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Also, I noted you said "we"  we eventually get a new car.  Who takes your old car to the shop?  Can the other part of "we" do it?  Maybe they take advsntage of women??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"we" was from LindaSal.  She said, "he tends to take advantage of us since he knows we have two vehicles."  (see below)

Regarding myself, I've always been polite when they've inconvenienced me - but last nite I was furious because I told her in advance I'd need my car today.

LindaSal wrote:

I've run into this with my mechanic too.   Granted we have two vehicles both on the older side.  Eventually we will get a new one and go down to one since we are both retired.

Due to the age of the cars they do go in often for whatever but he tends to take advantage of us since he knows we have two vehicles.  I really like him and have gone there for years but I figure when we buy a new one (hopefully when things calm down in the supply chain nonsense) we won' t really need to go to him anymore.  

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

@RinaRina  I wonder what new car shopping would be like nowdays with so few models available and months of waiting? Car lots are one quarter full. Used cars are a preminum.

My philosophy is when I have to put alot of money into a vechicle and mileage is getting up  which seems to mean more work, it is time to trade. I was lucky to have purchased  a new one two years ago prior to Covid. I dont travel now much, retired.

No the OP is not unreasonable. In my small  town  of 5000 there are even  six  repair shops  and three dealers, so choices. A consumers time is important as well.

Re: two years ago ...

That's when I was looking at a new car -- right before covid.  I clearly remember because I was not wearing a mask.  Then I decided to work on my house instead because at that time I wasn't driving much (less than 2K miles per year).

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm more concerned about why you needed to leave your driver's license there? My driver's license is always with me.  I've never had to leave it anywhere.

There's a hidden compartment in my car where I leave my DL ...

Respected Contributor

I simply would've called earlier & I would never leave my license in my car, it stays with me. The repair shop I use is always busy because they do excellent work so sometimes delays happen but the shop keeps in touch, we work with each other & we respect each other's time...I hope you can find a repair shop like that too @RinaRina. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Krimpette That's what I was wondering too!  I would never leave my license in the car.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

There's a hidden compartment in my car where I leave my DL ...

@RinaRina I would absolutely never ever leave it in my car.  What if the car is stolen?  What if you are with someone elsewhere and get stopped or i.d. checked?  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I'm wondering if she means the registration?  The driver's license is used so often these days for ID verification, etc. @RinaRina  Might that be what you're referring to?