Respected Contributor

I've been taking my car to the same auto repair shop for 10 years.

Over time, I figured out, they had a bad habit of "taking their time" working on my car.

In other words, they'd tell me to bring my car in @ 8:30AM, but wouldn't start working on it until 1-2 PM in the afternoon.  When I'd call re: pick up, they'd tell me my car wasn't ready and I'd have to pick it up the next day.

I was always "nice" about it, but frankly, it was usually an inconvenience.

So, I started telling them in advance, I could not leave the car overnite.

They did it again - yesterday.  I took my car in @ 9 AM.  When I called @ 6:30PM (close @ 7PM), they said I would have to leave it overnite. 

I told the Mgr., who is a woman, I'd have to stop by and get my driver's license out of my car so that I could rent a car.  I ended the conversation saying, "don't leave until I get there", and she said, "we close at 7PM".

I thought this was very inconsiderate.  Or am I being unreasonable?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: All I can say is "wow" ...

No, IMO you're not unreasonable.  I'd find another repair shop.  How often do you have to bring it in?  Maybe it's time to get a new car???

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

No, IMO you're not unreasonable.  I'd find another repair shop.  How often do you have to bring it in?  Maybe it's time to get a new car???

Haha!  Two years ago, I've thought about getting a new car ... but spent the "new car" money on renovating my house.  So, oh well ...

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

It's time to go elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

I've run into this with my mechanic too.   Granted we have two vehicles both on the older side.  Eventually we will get a new one and go down to one since we are both retired.

Due to the age of the cars they do go in often for whatever but he tends to take advantage of us since he knows we have two vehicles.  I really like him and have gone there for years but I figure when we buy a new one (hopefully when things calm down in the supply chain nonsense) we won' t really need to go to him anymore.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take my vehicle to the dealer for service. Until recently it was bring at open, 7am and it wouldn't be ready until 6pm close. The last two times it was in it was ready early afternoon.

Twice they kept it overnight for warranty work and offered a free loaner. But then I pay dealer pricing on repairs. They've always fixed it right the first time so worth it to me.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I've run into this with my mechanic too.   Granted we have two vehicles both on the older side.  Eventually we will get a new one and go down to one since we are both retired.

Due to the age of the cars they do go in often for whatever but he tends to take advantage of us since he knows we have two vehicles.  I really like him and have gone there for years but I figure when we buy a new one (hopefully when things calm down in the supply chain nonsense) we won' t really need to go to him anymore.  

=====================================================

I was clearly annoyed when I got there.

Back in the "old days", managers used to apologize "for the inconvenience". 

Now, they're like ... oh well, no big deal.

SMH ...

Respected Contributor

Agree with @Snowpuppy  next time you need repair work try the dealer. Hours are longer and they tend to work faster. Never had a problem. They tend to finish repair work in a day and offer free loaners.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  If these delays were new since shops have been having difficulty finding good workers, I would understand, but you say delay is their habit.  Not a good habit, but for some reason you have gone right along tolerating them. 

You need to figure out why you have been continuing to use that shop.   Also, I noted you said "we"  we eventually get a new car.  Who takes your old car to the shop?  Can the other part of "we" do it?  Maybe they take advsntage of women??

Honored Contributor

The only time I ever had to leave my car overnight was for something major.  A few months back I had to get a new catalytic converter.  They had to order the part and there was a delay, which is the only reason I couldn't get my car the same day.  The part came in the following morning and my car was done later in the afternoon.

Other than that, knock on wood they've always been able to fix my car in the same day.  When I have my oil changed and tires rotated, I wait there while they work on it.