Honored Contributor

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

@Judaline wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

Wow, talk about a cliff hanger! What are we supposed to believe? Was the groom a no-show because he tied one on last night? (whatta break for Helen). I THINK that's what happened. I get the impression she was only marrying him for her father's financial sake? He told her before the wedding that she needn't do this for him.

I wish Helen and James would just declare their love and make everyone happy-everyone seems to know, anyway, lol.

What a sweetheart that Susie is. Beautiful dog. And those puppies!

@Judaline, I think Helen accepted the marriage proposal from a man she liked but didn't love, but she felt was a good man and would be a good provider...  mostly because she had spent her life as a caregiver for her father and young sister and was worried about their future (and in those days she was expected to marry by a certain age).  She struggled with her decision and with the warmth and connection she felt with James.  Then her father was sensing her hesitation and probably her reasons for marrying Hugh, and he assured her they would be fine no matter what her heart told her.  I think she called off the wedding.  
Speaking of a cliff hanger... I was afraid the show would end with James sitting in the car in the crossroad!  I was glad that wasn't the case.  His return was reminiscent of "The Graduate."
😊

I agree with you about Helen and James.  I look forward to seeing them together.  
Susie and her puppies, so dear and sweet!  

So much I liked about the episode, the people in it and their individual stories...  I need to watch it again.  They touched my heart.😊

Thank you. Your explanation makes perfect sense. I will miss this show terribly. When they say renewed for a second season, when might that season be?? I already can't wait.

You're welcome, @Judaline.😊   I don't know about the next season other than it was given the green light late in 2020 and last I read there wasn't any filming yet.   Guess it's going to be a wee bit of a while...  I'll be impatient, for sure.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

I adore this show!  I've watched the older series many times over the years, every time I found it airing on PBS stations.  I'm enjoying the new series.  The actors are wonderful, the cinematography is stellar, the "creatures" charming and dear.  I wasn't familiar with Callum Woodhouse -- he bears a resemblance to the late, gifted, Phillip Seymour Hoffman when he was a young man.  I'm sorry to know the next episode is the last... (sigh)... but happy there will be another season.  Already looking forward to it.😊

@dooBdoo 

You must not have been a fan of The Durrells of Corfu then.  He played Leslie Durrell.  He's also been on Father Brown and several other British shows.

I also enjoy this series, but it does veer away from the book and the original series quite a bit.  I look forward to Season 2, for which we'll have to wait a bit, unless you subscribe to some of the British streaming channels.

The same goes for Miss Scarlet and The Duke.  I really liked that newcomer too.

You're right, @geezerette.  I haven't seen any of the The Durrells of Corfu or Father Brown, or Miss Scarlet and The Duke for that matter.   I've fallen behind on watching tv (the reason is long and probably boring), even PBS which I prize and in years past watched much more often. 

I know I've missed a good many quality programs.

There are several interesting articles online about the reasoning behind the changes to the storyline -- evidently the Herriot family was involved and approved the changes.   I was worried because I've been such a fan of the original, but I settled down into this new offering and really have enjoyed it.

Thanks for the heads up about the other shows!  I appreciate it!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

I adore this show!  I've watched the older series many times over the years, every time I found it airing on PBS stations.  I'm enjoying the new series.  The actors are wonderful, the cinematography is stellar, the "creatures" charming and dear.  I wasn't familiar with Callum Woodhouse -- he bears a resemblance to the late, gifted, Phillip Seymour Hoffman when he was a young man.  I'm sorry to know the next episode is the last... (sigh)... but happy there will be another season.  Already looking forward to it.😊

@dooBdoo 

You must not have been a fan of The Durrells of Corfu then.  He played Leslie Durrell.  He's also been on Father Brown and several other British shows.

I also enjoy this series, but it does veer away from the book and the original series quite a bit.  I look forward to Season 2, for which we'll have to wait a bit, unless you subscribe to some of the British streaming channels.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I have also, as others have said, settled down and love this show maybe as much as the original. It's a tough call. Both are Mahhhh-velous. I like the old Tristan, and the seen but not heard housekeeper of the orginal, and I like both Siegfrieds very much. I feel I'm seeing more of the countryside in the new one and maybe not as many creatures. I would like more creatures. I enjoy the town folk and inside the quaint houses. I remember Leslie on the Durrells-liked Larry better, but this Tristan is growing on me. I was a wee bit confused when Siegfried burned the letter saying Tristan passed but the note said passed on one line and failed on the other???

Can't wait till season ll.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I very much like Miss Scarlet and the Duke. How many more are there? I think it would be cute if it were a 1940s setting instead of the one we have. They had such cute clothes, and hairdos. And the hard boiled detective could be played by the present William without the beard, lol. It could be fun. But this is fun. It kills me when she wears that blue outfit everytime she's out on a case. You see it and you know, 'uh-oh, she means business. She's got her blue outfit on.'

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I very much like Miss Scarlet and the Duke. How many more are there? I think it would be cute if it were a 1940s setting instead of the one we have. They had such cute clothes, and hairdos. And the hard boiled detective could be played by the present William without the beard, lol. It could be fun. But this is fun. It kills me when she wears that blue outfit everytime she's out on a case. You see it and you know, 'uh-oh, she means business. She's got her blue outfit on.'

@Judaline 

Last night was the first season finale.

There will be a season two, but filming on it had to stop because of the pandemic.  I couldn't find out whether or not they've started filming back up again.  And since we have a delay with all these British shows, we probably won't get the second series/season until next year.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

You're right, @geezerette.  I haven't seen any of the The Durrells of Corfu or Father Brown, or Miss Scarlet and The Duke for that matter.   I've fallen behind on watching tv (the reason is long and probably boring), even PBS which I prize and in years past watched much more often. 

There are several interesting articles online about the reasoning behind the changes to the storyline -- evidently the Herriot family was involved and approved the changes.   I was worried because I've been such a fan of the original, but I settled down into this new offering and really have enjoyed it.

@dooBdoo 

I highly doubt you could ever be boring.😉

As an aside, if you like Samuel West (Siegfried Farnon), he also was in another PBS broadcast a few years ago, Mr. Selfridge.  Which starred Jeremy Piven in the title role.  Although you may already be familiar with that one.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

@Judaline 

Last night was the first season finale.

There will be a season two, but filming on it had to stop because of the pandemic.  I couldn't find out whether or not they've started filming back up again.  And since we have a delay with all these British shows, we probably won't get the second series/season until next year.

I kind of had the feeling by the ending that this was the last one. It at least got them closer, lol. It gave me hope. I think he's mad about her but I think she is clueless. I look forward to this whenever it comes.

thanks

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I have also, as others have said, settled down and love this show maybe as much as the original. It's a tough call. Both are Mahhhh-velous. I like the old Tristan, and the seen but not heard housekeeper of the orginal, and I like both Siegfrieds very much. I feel I'm seeing more of the countryside in the new one and maybe not as many creatures. I would like more creatures. I enjoy the town folk and inside the quaint houses. I remember Leslie on the Durrells-liked Larry better, but this Tristan is growing on me. I was a wee bit confused when Siegfried burned the letter saying Tristan passed but the note said passed on one line and failed on the other???

Can't wait till season ll.

@Judaline

I think I like all of the regulars on the new show as well as those from the original...  took me a while to adjust, but I think they all have their own special interpretation of the characters.

From reading some of the background online articles about the animals, I'm guessing we see fewer creatures now because of the major changes in the way animals are protected in the entertainment industry.   The new series has stringent requirements and much of what they show is done with prosthetics and realistic props.

I was a little surprised that Siegfried told Tristan that he had passed, since as you say the document showed one pass and one fail.   He didn't want to spoil Christmas, I suppose, but how will they deal with this later?🤔

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I highly doubt you could ever be boring.😉

As an aside, if you like Samuel West (Siegfried Farnon), he also was in another PBS broadcast a few years ago, Mr. Selfridge.  Which starred Jeremy Piven in the title role.  Although you may already be familiar with that one.

You are always so kind, @geezerette.❤️   

Yes, I do like Samuel West.   I saw Mr. Selfridge and really enjoyed it... it sent me down many rabbit holes looking up the history behind the store and the people.   I don't remember seeing this actor, although now that you mention it I thought he looked familiar.   Think I'll look up that cast to see which character he portrayed.

Thanks!