Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,114
Registered: ‎08-21-2014

Re: All Creatures Great and Small


@NickNack wrote:

Is this a show that I could start watching now with episode 6 and understand what's going on.  It sounds like a show I would really like.


You could maybe read about the storyline just to get filled in. It's hard to say if the backstory is part of what make it's enjoyable. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,420
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

Love it ,watch the original back in the 70's ,when we lived in England,  the country side ,looks so much like what i remember.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,493
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small


@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I watched "All Creatures Great and Small" with my mom on PBS back in the 1970's.

 

 

 

Fun fact, Peter Davidson who played as Tristen, went on to play as The Doctor on " Doctor Who".

 

His daughter Georgia, would appear in an episode of "Doctor Who", with David Tennant as the Doctor, and the two would later marry and start a family of their own.


He also played the lead in the PBS mystery CAMPION. Please come back, Peter!!!!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,493
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

It just keeps getting better. I really liked Tristan (the character) last night and I loved that Farnon helped in the operation. And using the headlamps for light! It was kind of an edge of your seat episode-I think I was holding my breath for that sweet cow.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 23,684
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: All Creatures Great and Small


@judaline wrote:

It just keeps getting better. I really liked Tristan (the character) last night and I loved that Farnon helped in the operation. And using the headlamps for light! It was kind of an edge of your seat episode-I think I was holding my breath for that sweet cow.


 

 

"Strawberry" ...what a perfect name for her.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,591
Registered: ‎06-27-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

[ Edited ]


I adore this show!  I've watched the older series many times over the years, every time I found it airing on PBS stations.  I'm enjoying the new series.  The actors are wonderful, the cinematography is stellar, the "creatures" charming and dear.  I wasn't familiar with Callum Woodhouse -- he bears a resemblance to the late, gifted, Phillip Seymour Hoffman when he was a young man.  I'm sorry to know the next episode is the last... (sigh)... but happy there will be another season.  Already looking forward to it.😊

⭐️Few things reveal your intellect & your generosity of spirit, the parallel powers of your heart & mind, better than how you give feedback. MPopova⭐️
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,493
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

Wow, talk about a cliff hanger! What are we supposed to believe? Was the groom a no-show because he tied one on last night? (whatta break for Helen). I THINK that's what happened. I get the impression she was only marrying him for her father's financial sake? He told her before the wedding that she needn't do this for him.

I wish Helen and James would just declare their love and make everyone happy-everyone seems to know, anyway, lol.

What a sweetheart that Susie is. Beautiful dog. And those puppies!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,591
Registered: ‎06-27-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

[ Edited ]

@judaline wrote:

Wow, talk about a cliff hanger! What are we supposed to believe? Was the groom a no-show because he tied one on last night? (whatta break for Helen). I THINK that's what happened. I get the impression she was only marrying him for her father's financial sake? He told her before the wedding that she needn't do this for him.

I wish Helen and James would just declare their love and make everyone happy-everyone seems to know, anyway, lol.

What a sweetheart that Susie is. Beautiful dog. And those puppies!

 


 

@judaline, I think Helen accepted the marriage proposal from a man she liked but didn't love, but she felt was a good man and would be a good provider...  mostly because she had spent her life as a caregiver for her father and young sister and was worried about their future (and in those days she was expected to marry by a certain age).  She struggled with her decision and with the warmth and connection she felt with James.  Then her father was sensing her hesitation and probably her reasons for marrying Hugh, and he assured her they would be fine no matter what her heart told her.  I think she called off the wedding.  
Speaking of a cliff hanger... I was afraid the show would end with James sitting in the car in the crossroad!  I was glad that wasn't the case.  His return was reminiscent of "The Graduate."
😊

I agree with you about Helen and James.  I look forward to seeing them together.  
Susie and her puppies, so dear and sweet!  

So much I liked about the episode, the people in it and their individual stories...  I need to watch it again.  They touched my heart.😊

 

⭐️Few things reveal your intellect & your generosity of spirit, the parallel powers of your heart & mind, better than how you give feedback. MPopova⭐️
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,493
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small


@dooBdoo wrote:

@judaline wrote:

Wow, talk about a cliff hanger! What are we supposed to believe? Was the groom a no-show because he tied one on last night? (whatta break for Helen). I THINK that's what happened. I get the impression she was only marrying him for her father's financial sake? He told her before the wedding that she needn't do this for him.

I wish Helen and James would just declare their love and make everyone happy-everyone seems to know, anyway, lol.

What a sweetheart that Susie is. Beautiful dog. And those puppies!

 


 

@judaline, I think Helen accepted the marriage proposal from a man she liked but didn't love, but she felt was a good man and would be a good provider...  mostly because she had spent her life as a caregiver for her father and young sister and was worried about their future (and in those days she was expected to marry by a certain age).  She struggled with her decision and with the warmth and connection she felt with James.  Then her father was sensing her hesitation and probably her reasons for marrying Hugh, and he assured her they would be fine no matter what her heart told her.  I think she called off the wedding.  
Speaking of a cliff hanger... I was afraid the show would end with James sitting in the car in the crossroad!  I was glad that wasn't the case.  His return was reminiscent of "The Graduate."
😊

I agree with you about Helen and James.  I look forward to seeing them together.  
Susie and her puppies, so dear and sweet!  

So much I liked about the episode, the people in it and their individual stories...  I need to watch it again.  They touched my heart.😊

 


Thank you. Your explanation makes perfect sense. I will miss this show terribly. When they say renewed for a second season, when might that season be?? I already can't wait.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,714
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: All Creatures Great and Small


@dooBdoo wrote:


I adore this show!  I've watched the older series many times over the years, every time I found it airing on PBS stations.  I'm enjoying the new series.  The actors are wonderful, the cinematography is stellar, the "creatures" charming and dear.  I wasn't familiar with Callum Woodhouse -- he bears a resemblance to the late, gifted, Phillip Seymour Hoffman when he was a young man.  I'm sorry to know the next episode is the last... (sigh)... but happy there will be another season.  Already looking forward to it.😊


@dooBdoo 

 

You must not have been a fan of The Durrells of Corfu then.  He played Leslie Durrell.  He's also been on Father Brown and several other British shows.

 

I also enjoy this series, but it does veer away from the book and the original series quite a bit.  I look forward to Season 2, for which we'll have to wait a bit, unless you subscribe to some of the British streaming channels.

 

The same goes for Miss Scarlet and The Duke.  I really liked that newcomer too.