Honored Contributor

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

It's wonderful, I love it. Loved the original-wish they had the old Tristan. He'd be older but still cute as anything! I also wonder about the housekeeper. She seems one of the family? The original didn't fixate on her like that. I really have no interest in her life. She's very bossy-just don't like the character at all. The friend of hers on Sunday's show, reminded me of Ava Gardner-especially the eyes. I was thinking she would have made a good Helen and the present Helen would have made a good housekeeper! How's that for casting? 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm enjoying this, too! Any British show seems to have the best theme music!

Respected Contributor

It is very enjoyable show. The details are so accurate,

the landscape gorgeous the animals beautiful. The actors so fine.

A quiet, cozy show.

Esteemed Contributor

I read every book written by the author and I watched every episode of the original series. I even visited the town in the Yorkshire Dales where the vets practiced. I was so pleased to see that the new series is very good. I hope they'll continue.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Snickers wrote:

@sophiesofers    I'm enjoying All Creatires Great and Small just like I did the original series and books.

The acting is superb! They don't even have to speak, just a look or glance speaks volumes.

It's strange how fast the hour passes when I'm watching. 
   I'm glad it's been renewed for next year! 

----------------

I watched a couple of episodes, but it was just so slow!!  And I got tired of the one-up-man-ship between the brother and the assistant!!  Did love the scenery and some of the characters though.  Will watch later when  'slow' is doable....

Honored Contributor

We won't miss it! We have all of the books. This was DH's life one year after veterinary school, only in the rural U.S. - and right before he met me!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

It's wonderful, I love it. Loved the original-wish they had the old Tristan. He'd be older but still cute as anything! I also wonder about the housekeeper. She seems one of the family? The original didn't fixate on her like that. I really have no interest in her life. She's very bossy-just don't like the character at all. The friend of hers on Sunday's show, reminded me of Ava Gardner-especially the eyes. I was thinking she would have made a good Helen and the present Helen would have made a good housekeeper! How's that for casting? 

@Judaline 

"Significant changes were made from the source material (both the previous television series and the memoir), such as Siegfried Farnon being a heartbroken widower and a dramatically increased role for Mrs. Hall, who has been reimagined as a young, live-in housekeeper.

A six-episode series and a Christmas special were filmed in 2019 and also in early 2020.  All Creatures Great and Small has been renewed for a second series."

*Wikipedia*

Honored Contributor

Is this a show that I could start watching now with episode 6 and understand what's going on.  It sounds like a show I would really like.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I watched "All Creatures Great and Small" with my mom on PBS back in the 1970's.

Fun fact, Peter Davidson who played as Tristen, went on to play as The Doctor on " Doctor Who".

His daughter Georgia, would appear in an episode of "Doctor Who", with David Tennant as the Doctor, and the two would later marry and start a family of their own.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@sophiesofers wrote:

Has anyone watched this?  I love pretty much anything thats on Masterpiece.  All Creatures Great and Small is an absolute delight! Of course, being an animal lover, I had to check this show out.  It is wonderfully written and the actors are fabulous!  And the animals are sweet too! I just think that British TV shows have so much more to offer than what we have now for our shows.  Their series of programs only run for 5 or 6 episodes. We usually have to wait a bit for the next season to be seen, but in the meantime, there are so many choices of other great British shows to watch on Masterpiece. If you can, check this one out. Sunday nights at 9pm.  It has already been renewed for season 2.  YAY! 

@sophiesofers Yes, and have all the books written by this veterinarian.