Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aging Process Shocker - "I'm too slow"

The reality is, in today's working world, the employers want twice as much done, in half the time.

There are those who can keep up, and those who can't.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@RinaRina

They shouldn't make you guess about their goals for you.

I think they had an "idea", but frankly, I've never been in a "supervisory" position and don't want to be now.  I'm retired!  At this point in my life, I don't want that kind of responsibility.

Are you expected to make changes around there?

If so, what?

Are you the one who is expected to correct co-workers' behaviors?

The cellphone & internet usage is a problem. 

I already told the owners what the problem was and that I would not be able to change the behavior. 

Change millenial's behavior??  Me???  ROFL! 

I am not "revered" there. 

Those "kids" would tell me "where to go" faster than a New York minute.  The "college student", a female, is a nasty 8*+&#.  She is mean and condescending.  I've already tangled with her twice.  I don't want that kind of stress.  That's not what I was looking for. (Wasn't there a TV show called "Mean Girls"?)

Does the person who hired you want you to be faster, but sloppier?

I believe they're losing money because of employee's "sloppiness", but as a new employee, it's not my place to tell them that.   The staff told the owners I need to be faster.  I've been on the job for TWO weeks, TWO days a week, 5 hrs/day..   Heck! They were losing money BEFORE I got there. 

I'm slow, and I don't want to be faster because correcting mistakes later (mine & others') is time-consuming and I have to stay late.  And, BTW, when the sloppy millenials make mistakes, guess WHO they're blaming?  Yep!

When they move me elsewhere, hopefully, that will solve the problem.

Maybe, if you really like the job, you can endure as is and not make corrections?

I like the mission of the company, but not necessarily that particular job.  When they move me to another dept., I'll see how it goes. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Rina, I agree, run for the hills, you don't need that kwap from people.  I'd suggest you get a small recorder so they can speak directly into that with their smart mouths!  That's terrible.  I would recommend you start writing these people up and on your exit, turn it in to the boss.  Maybe he/she can can their bottoms!! 

You know what else, this is one problem that doesn't have a home in the "politically correct" arena, and it should!

I already wrote up what happened.  But the issue is, "I'M TOO SLOW".  That's why they're moving me.   Remember, they're (supposedly) losing money.  If they think I'm too slow and will cause them to lose more, they will move me elsewhere -- and that's fine with me because it's not me that's causing them losses.  I've only been there 2 weeks.

BTW, they've got security cameras everywhere.  The owners KNOW what's going on.  The owners are technologically savvy.  They may also have audio.  But the security video is on everyone's computers. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RinaRina. Maybe you are too slow....are you working because you have to, or just for something to do?  If you can just retire do it.  Why put up with even two day a week of being treated poorly?  I can think of lots to do that is fun and Healthy to fill my time.  

That's a good question.  Here was my logic:

10 hrs./week wasn't too much "work" and I'd enjoy having the extra money.

I can bring my dog to work.  Another new employee (who already knew the software) brings her newborn baby.  It's a great place to work!  One of the owners brings his babies in.  It's a family oriented company and everyone is so nice (except the "college girl").  And we all have a common interest - the mission of the company.

The "college girl" just doesn't like me -- because I'm not young, because I'm "too slow", I ask too many questions .. whatever!  I don't care what her reasons are.  She can go jump in a lake.

I think maybe one of the owners is 40ish.  Everyone else is very young.

I really WANT to be there.  I want to learn the business.  It's fun.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina

If you really, really, really  want to be there, then you are going to have to do whatever it takes to fit in.

That's just the way that I see it.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

While I agree with your analysis, @chrystaltree, I am not certain about your conclusion. The boss hired this older woman for a reason. Perhaps he or she was trying to set an example for the younger set, or maybe the boss valued the qualities that many times accompany a more experienced worker. However, be that as it may, age discrimination is a two way street and ageism is not to be tolerated. I would as other posters have replied keep a log (briefly) and report this behavior to the boss. I say briefly because this must be stopped immediately. BTW, other cultures do not treat their elders in such a disparaging fashion. Maybe it is time to address this issue. Leaving would be a final resort. If age discrimination is as rampant as it appears, it will be difficult to find another job.

No one ever hires someone to set an example to their staff.  Setting an expample and mentoring  and leading is the role of supervisors and managers....not new hires who work a few hours a week.  She was hired to do a job.  Perhaps this age discrimination, perhpaps not.  It might be office bullying toward someone they consider to be an outsider.  As a manager,  I had to deal with similar situations but I never encountered anyting as egregious as this situation.  It's usually more subtle.  She doesn't need the money, she only works part time and it appears (since she hasn't done so already) that she doesn't want to go to her manager with this.  If she were my friend, I tell her to quit and be done with it.  There is no reason for her to put up with such treatment.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

While I agree with your analysis, @chrystaltree, I am not certain about your conclusion. The boss hired this older woman for a reason. Perhaps he or she was trying to set an example for the younger set, or maybe the boss valued the qualities that many times accompany a more experienced worker. However, be that as it may, age discrimination is a two way street and ageism is not to be tolerated. I would as other posters have replied keep a log (briefly) and report this behavior to the boss. I say briefly because this must be stopped immediately. BTW, other cultures do not treat their elders in such a disparaging fashion. Maybe it is time to address this issue. Leaving would be a final resort. If age discrimination is as rampant as it appears, it will be difficult to find another job.

They've been extremely kind and made it clear they want to "try" to make it work because I'm more "mature".

As I'm reading these responses, I'm getting sad because I feel I've let them down.  It's the technology.  The software they use is not user friendly or "intuitive" and if I use my "intuition", I frequently click the wrong thing. 

Funny thing is, one day I told the owner the software got bad reviews online.  He said he knew, but "it's what everyone uses".  LOL! 

So, basically, if I want to stay in this field, I still need to learn this particular software.

Well, this changes things a bit.  It's not unusual for older workers to have problems using various computer systems.  I hate to say but I have to be honest, it's why many managers are reluctant to hire older workers who don't already have experience with sottware and systems.  Younger people have grown up with video games and computers and they aren't intimidated by these things.  Yes, if you decide to stay but more importantly if you are going to work and work efficiently....you have to learn it.  

Honored Contributor

You just have extraordinarily bad luck with neighbors/people at dog park/colleagues. 

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

You just have extraordinarily bad luck with neighbors/people at dog park/colleagues. 

No kidding!  Just yesterday, I mentioned to a neighbor I should send some of my stories to Larry David ("Curb Your Enthusiasm"). 

Honored Contributor

I worked in a profession that was always fast-paced.  There was always more work to be done than hours in the day. Who did how much (and who didn't) wasn't age-related at all. The issue was management being totally okay with 1-2 people carrying the load of 4-5, to the point where they knew it was okay if people slacked off or called in "sick", because those left had a good work ethic.

If you have a 10-person office and only 5 people actually work and show up every day, it still works as far as the office is concerned - they don't care if some get paid for doing nothing, and others do twice the work. Should it be that way? Of course not - but it often is. And easy-peasy, just quit & get a "better" job is a joke. Not so simple most of the time. In my experience it was the older employees who took up the slack for younger ones.

But, you know - some people are "too slow" and cause more work for others and yes, that is resented. That is natural, IMO. 

As for the rudeness - report it. It may stop if you do, but only because in a stressful work environment of that type you could potentially sue the company for harrassment, and if they let you go you could use that in a lawsuit. Not that you would, but you could, and large companies, at least, care about that, NOT about the employee.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all