Honored Contributor

Re: Aging Process Shocker - "I'm too slow"

There's always 3 sides to every story.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Working 'fast' doesn't necessarily mean being accurate.  Been there, done that.  Sometimes people just 'show off' by doing things fast.  And then there's always the 'slower' person who has to correct or do-over / re-do everything.  Sometimes 'the turtle wins the race', in the long run. Just sayin'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

It sounds like this place you are working is poorly managed.  If you get the boot, chalk it up to experience.  Look for another job.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I retired and work parttime now.  The grocery store is filled with high school, college, and 20s people.  I've never once been treated badly by any of them.  Not all millenials are so rude. 

I'm shocked that your employer would allow this to happen.  It makes a hostile work environment, could even fall under harassment.  Both are illegal.

Have you said anything?  BEFORE you say anything, keep a log of who made the comment, quote of the comment, and time/date, so you have specifics to give.   You'll need a number of examples, not just a couple.

AND, keep this log at home.  Never know who snoops through your desk or computer.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I know the young women I worked with just before early retirement at 56, did not care for me or my way of doing things. I would often catch them rolling their eyes at me. I can't imagine working at 67 for anyone.

In this case, it was difficult because I saw things the younger people didn't.  For example, a customer bought something & paid cash.  The register had NO nickles, dimes or $5's (bills).  I brought this to the manager's attention (the guy who was training me & left) the 1st week I was there, but he never replenished the register drawer with the proper change.

A few days later, a man came in and bought some small item, and the millenial gave him his change in ALL pennies and $1's (bills).  The guy looked at her like she was nuts.  She didn't even count out his change.  She just dumped everything in his hand.  Altho' he said nothing, he was clearly annoyed.  The girl said nothing.  No "hava nice day", no "sorry about the pennies", no "sorry about the $1's". 

Some of the stuff I see would be appropriate for "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

SMH.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I know the young women I worked with just before early retirement at 56, did not care for me or my way of doing things. I would often catch them rolling their eyes at me. I can't imagine working at 67 for anyone.

In this case, it was difficult because I saw things the younger people didn't.  For example, a customer bought something & paid cash.  The register had NO nickles, dimes or $5's (bills).  I brought this to the manager's attention (the guy who was training me & left) the 1st week I was there, but he never replenished the register drawer with the proper change.

A few days later, a man came in and bought some small item, and the millenial gave him his change in ALL pennies and $1's (bills).  The guy looked at her like she was nuts.  She didn't even count out his change.  She just dumped everything in his hand.  Altho' he said nothing, he was clearly annoyed.  The girl said nothing.  No "hava nice day", no "sorry about the pennies", no "sorry about the $1's". 

Some of the stuff I see would be appropriate for "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

SMH.

Perhaps part of that "wanting someone more mature" is that they wanted someone who would take care of things rather than just complain about them.  Why not bring in the change need in the drawer and ask the supervisior if you can switch out the larger bills.  One problem solved and you will come off in a much better light. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Daisy,

I already explained that.  I told the guy who was training me (who was the "manager") that the small bills and coins needed to be replenished.

He worked FULL TIME and had plenty of time to remedy the drawer.

When I returned the following week, the drawer was the same.

Of course, when I mentioned it to the owner, he fixed it.

I believe the safe is locked up and most employees don't have access.

It doesn't matter.  I'm not a "manager" type and those responsibilities should've been delegated to someone more experienced until I figured my way around.

I LOVED that place ... but there were too many issues for me to handle.*

And, sadly, I got off to a bad start .

Frankly, working with people who don't like OR respect me is undesirable. 

Personally, I need to be around people who LIKE me.

I am just heart-broken, but I must move on.

*IMHO, the "issue" was my inability to navigate the software "quickly".

Had I been able to master the software, there would've been no problem.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

BTW, I've never been a "manager" in my life.

Had I known it was a management position, I would NOT have applied for it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, no matter where ***you go, there will always be people who, for whatever reason, won't like ***you.

A company shouldn't have to delegate responsibilities until the new hire is up and running.

The new hire should be able to handle ALL of the responsibilities with little to no supervision from day one.

Also, at interviews, it's always prudent to ask if the position is a management position, and if so, what responsibilities that includes.

*****When I say "YOU",  I mean you in the general sense, and not you in the specific.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

There's always 3 sides to every story.

^This.

The OP sure seems to have lots of problems...knee replacement, breast reduction, can't find someone to do "cheap" plastic surgery for her, neighbors, and now young people. Yikes! 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~