Respected Contributor

Aging Process Shocker - "I'm too slow"

Hi  all,

I recently got a PT job working 2 days a week, 5 hrs each day.

After working there for 2 weeks, apparently, some of the "younger" employees (all in their 20's or less) have decided I'm "too slow".

On Wednesday, I was bombarded with a slew of personal attacks:

"The only reason why (owner of co.) told you to do (procedure) that way is because you're so slow."

"How long did it take you to attach those labels?"

"Get off the phone!  Just answer their questions and get off the phone."

(Might be why that office is losing money-these kids just blow potential clients off the phone.)

"Don't ask me any questions, I have to concentrate."   (college student)

"I can't believe you're still working." (same college student)

(BTW, I don't consider two 5-hr. days "work".  That's called "getting out of the  house.")

The ironic thing is, in my cover letter for employment, I said I worked "fast".

Wow!

My "fast" is their "slow".

I see them making all kinds of billing mistakes, which I bring to their attention and they begrudgingly correct.  This is a small business.  Do they think money grows on trees?

When the owner asked one girl to work extra hours she complained about being taken advantage of.  Uh????  You're getting PAID for the extra hours!  So, how are you being taken advantage of?

Nasty millenials!

SMH.

Frankly, sometimes, I'd like to go back to the  '80's.   Things were so much simpler then.

Woman Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Aging Process Shocker - "I'm too slow"

I've found that all "younger" people treat "older" women that way.    The truth is:   They  just want to hang out with their peers.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I've found that all "younger" people treat "older" women that way.    The truth is:   They  just want to hang out with their peers.

That's so true!  It's clear to me they enjoy each other's company.   The "college girl" loves engaging in conversation with this boy who's in high school.  When he talks he sounds like he's got marbles in his mouth.  Yuck!!  Most of the time, they're all talking nonsense;  trivial, inconsequential stuff I have no interest in.

And, those cellphones are constantly buzzing!  They're cellphone junkies!! 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  I'm not excusing rude behavior however, these kids grew up in the fast food, fast everything age.  Some have attention spans as big as gnats - it's the texting and constant electronics generation.

If it's any consolation - I was called a dinosaur.  This was a couple of years ago when they hired a new manager.  Let's call her Crabitha.  I worked for another manager and Crabitha was new to the area.  She approached me to insinuate something unflattering about someone on my team.  It was work related and I suggested she speak with my team lead or manager as I worked on something a bit different in the unit and I didn't want to speak out of turn as I didn't know the day to day or assignments that everyone else was working on.

She looked at me and said, wow you are a dinosuar (first day I met her).  I said, if you mean that I have respect for my co-workers, follow chain of command and know how to behave professionally at work then yes, I am a dinosaur.  Clearly you are not :-)

I was re-orged to report to Crabitha a couple of years later.  And yes, I am still a dinosaur.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I understand completely!  I work with all much, much younger people.  I am the dinosaur there!  I realize I might be a bit slower in some things --- but what about experience, longevity, loyalty, trustworthiness, hard working, etc.?  Don't these things count for anything?  I come home a lot of days and say --- I feel like I have nothing in common with anyone!  I am left out completely because I do not talk their talk and walk their walk.

I found a lot (not all) of the younger workers put in minimal effort and want to be treated like royalty and be paid like a gazillion dollars!  

Me, too --- I miss the 80's!!!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I retired and work parttime now.  The grocery store is filled with high school, college, and 20s people.  I've never once been treated badly by any of them.  Not all millenials are so rude. 

I'm shocked that your employer would allow this to happen.  It makes a hostile work environment, could even fall under harassment.  Both are illegal.

Have you said anything?  BEFORE you say anything, keep a log of who made the comment, quote of the comment, and time/date, so you have specifics to give.   You'll need a number of examples, not just a couple.

Trusted Contributor

I'm afraid that is not just " younger" people.  Many in their 30,40and 50s have few work ethics any more.   They seem to resent or think rules of the office are not for them.   Problems: personal talk and text, punch in to work and go get coffee,etc for half hour,  frequent trips to restroom, rude on phone and person, etc.  Bad behavior in the office seems to run off on new hires.  If Jane doesnt have to follow the rules why should I.  Why should Jane do the work if there is someone else there who has ethics and will work to please customers properly.  Many people seem to think it is all about them.  

When we meet for night out my lady friends who still work often have to start the night by venting about work and then they settle down and enjoy the evening.  They said even supervisors seem to have an attitude.   They don't know your job and don't want to.  They hand out rules, give a talk and disappear.    They think their new college degree is worth more than yours from years ago.   My friends can't wait until retirement.  That's a shame because they love what they do.  It is the environment and a few bad apples that try to spoil the day.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I understand completely!  I work with all much, much younger people.  I am the dinosaur there!  I realize I might be a bit slower in some things --- but what about experience, longevity, loyalty, trustworthiness, hard working, etc.?  Don't these things count for anything?  I come home a lot of days and say --- I feel like I have nothing in common with anyone!  I am left out completely because I do not talk their talk and walk their walk.

I found a lot (not all) of the younger workers put in minimal effort and want to be treated like royalty and be paid like a gazillion dollars!  

Me, too --- I miss the 80's!!!!!!  

These things don't count anymore in a lot of businesses.  I worked for a Fortune 500 company for almost 40 years.  These traits went to the wayside about 15 years ago.  Big business is only interested in their bottom line.  They say they care but they don't.

And most businesses are so worried about keeping millenials because they don't have the loyalty and work ethics that were seen in prior generations.  Businesses are willing to do most anything for them while longer-term people get nothing.  It's ridiculous. 

That said, older workers must go out of their way to become friendly with younger workers and to interact with them about work.  If not, you'll be left in the dust by them which  means you'll be left in the dust by your leadership.  Right or wrong doesn't matter.  It is what it is.

I work with tons of young people, high school to 20s - parttime job after retirement.  I have gone out of my way to be friendly, chat a little, and acknowledge them.  It's made a world of difference.

Honored Contributor

They do sound rude and apparently they seem to think someone died and left them boss.  This is something you should go to your supervisor with because no one should be subjected to that type of treatment.  Having said that, you probably are too slow.  You probably are a step behind because you are much older than they are and you think of yourself as an older person.  It's also very apparent to me and it's apparent to them also that you don't like younger people and have no respect for them.  Respect.....is a two way street.  It sounds to me that you entered a workplace that wasn't a good choice for you.  A new job always takes adjustment, regardless of age and newbies are always "too slow"  even 20somethings and they always have a learning curve.  Your co-workers are impatient with you because because they think of you as an "old lady".  You can't change that, no one can.  You think of them as those "horrible" millenials, you can't change that either.  All that you can do is try to understand that they know the work and whatever happens in that office that is not directly related to what you get paid to do is none of your business.  You can  try learning something from them, ask questions and give yourself time to get up to speed.  The real problem is the way they are speaking to you and treating you, there's absolutely  no excuse for that and you own part of that because you have been taking it.  This is where being the adult in the room should have kicked it.  You should have gone to your supervisor when it first started.  Perhaps this just isn't the right fit for you and you need to find another job.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina.....................IMO you need to get out of there fast.  Why would you want to put up with that from mouthy snot nosed, rude brats?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)