Honored Contributor

After I Was Done With Them, No Way Would They Go Back Into Coiling Again.

Respected Contributor

Re: After I Was Done With Them, No Way Would They Go Back Into Coiling Again.

Oh I had forgotten about that!  Going all over the kitchen with the phone because you could (especially if you  had a long cord) and it was fun to stretch that cord.  Wrapping the cord around your body as you talked and playing with the curls.... ah yes, the fun they will miss.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

We had one phone, on the wall, in the kitchen.  Private conversations were impossible and mom and dad only allowed us to be on the phone for a certain period of time.  

We had a really long cord as well.  Oh what memories.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee Those were the good ole days!    Did you ever have any experience with a party-line by any chance?   Kids today would really be stressed!

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@Foxxee Those were the good ole days!    Did you ever have any experience with a party-line by any chance?   Kids today would really be stressed!

@Boomernichols 

No, but my Mother talked about how much she hated it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Did have a couple wall phones over the years. Many years in Public Housing Projects, we did not have a phone. When we got our 1st one, it was with a Party Line. Later my mom went to a 40 call limit, as it was the cheapest choice.

Never had the 25' or 50' cords, but did see them made at work for Western Electric. Never spent much time on the phone, was working much on the time. 

In my apartment I went with 3 phones, bedroom/livingroom/kitchen. 2 of them were the princess type phones where the numbers lit up.

Still got my same 40 year phone number land line. 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I can remember a party line when I spent some summers with my cousins, think it was 5 parties.  The cousins 'ahem' listened in and knew all the voices. 

Now I think about we could not dial either, we had go through a human operator.  

Now my grandkids ask me what those hole in the walls are.  They have never had a landline.

Respected Contributor

at home we had a black rotary wall phone model c. 1955. the receiver was hard and very heavy. the dial was metal.  this was in the hardwired phone days

when the cord really got too short for teenager's personal conversations,  we got an extra long cord.

imagine 2 sisters monopolizing that phone in HS not to mention the eavesdropping!  and we shared a room.

i would stretch the cord out flat, out the back door and along the porch to go outside and sit on the stoop yakking on the phone. 

over the years the cord balled up and stretched so much the wires showed.  my parents did not get a modular jack (RJ-11)  installed until the mid-'90s! 

Vintage Black Bell System Western Electric 554 Rotary Wall Telephone #C096 - Picture 15 of 18

Vintage Black Bell System Western Electric 554 Rotary Wall Telephone #C096 - Picture 16 of 18

Honored Contributor

I always liked twirling the cord-comfortingSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

OMG - I had forgotten all about the good old Party Line!!

Picking up the phone a hundred times to make a call, only to hear someone yammering away for hours!  LOLOL!!