Respected Contributor

Re: Advice on bad housekeeping

Are you going to see her or her house.

There is a big difference between going to see a person or a person's home.

You accept a friend as they are. We all have quirks that a friend does not care for.

If she is really your friend then that is what you value. Housekeeping has no value over friendship.

Her home seems to bother YOU so if there is a problem the issue is yours.

Keep a friendship. A friendship is a priceless gift

Valued Contributor

I don't think anything should be said.

I much prefer visiting someone's messy and/or dusty house than one that is so clean that, to me, it is uncomfortabe.  Maybe because it reminds me of my own. Smiley LOL

I have pets which, in and of itself, makes it difficult to have a spotless house unless I clean all day, which I have no desire to do.  As long as it is not dirty and smelly it's OK with me.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
I'd rather visit a true friend in their comfortable house with a little dust and dirt showing, than visit anyone in their spotless and thoroughly disinfected home. I also don't visit anyone who doesn't allow me to wear my shoes in their home.

Amen to what you said. My family member is a Reverend and HE refuses to enter the home of anyone who wants people to remove their shoes. This includes the members of his congregation.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, I had a neighbor in the apartment beside me who was an awful housekeeper and knew it.  I actually loved going to visit her once I came to expect and accept the mess.  She was so relaxed and that made me relax and we could sit and talk and laugh for hours while her two baby boys napped.  She always had to wash a glass for me before stirring up the instant iced tea and get the dirty diaper out of the toilet if I needed to use it.  There was one time, though, when I had to speak up.  She offered me pizza, then took a frozen pepperoni pizza out of the living room closet and put it in the microwave to cook.  When I questioned keeping frozen pizza in the closet, she burst out laughing, which made me even more uncomfortable.  Turns out they had just installed a small chest freezer in there the weekend before.  

Barbara, if by some chance you're reading this, I miss you! Heart

Valued Contributor

NO.

Honored Contributor

If the house has always looked like this, don't say anything. If it's new, I may broach the subject.
Valued Contributor

My bff is like this but as earlier poster said I know she would always have my back.I would not say anything.I never want her to think thats more important than us hanging out together.
Take care.
Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@RedTop wrote:
I'd rather visit a true friend in their comfortable house with a little dust and dirt showing, than visit anyone in their spotless and thoroughly disinfected home. I also don't visit anyone who doesn't allow me to wear my shoes in their home.

Amen to what you said. My family member is a Reverend and HE refuses to enter the home of anyone who wants people to remove their shoes. This includes the members of his congregation.

That's kind of pathetic.  

Esteemed Contributor

When my kids were little I was a very messy houekeeper.  What with a job, two  kids, one of which was special needs.  It was clean but messy.  My friends came over all the time with it like that.  They came to see me and have fun, not judge my housekeeping.  In fact when the kids grew up and I started picking up more they were upset because I didn't have cookies, etc., laying out on the kitchen counter anymore.  Woman LOL

Bottom line, she knows it's messy and doesn't need you to tell her.  Not worth possibly causing a riff.  

Respected Contributor

I qualify as a bad housekeeper. I would rather read.