Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have a very close friend who is a very bad housekeeper. I love her but every time I walk in her house I want to grab something and start sweeping and dusting. I know it does not bother her at all. She is the most fantastic person and would never lose a friendship over this but is there possibly anything I can say or do beside getting her a housecleaner? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Advice on bad housekeeping

It's her house and if it doesn't bother her, I'd do nothing.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, there's nothing you can do.  She knows she's not a good housekeeper, and she's not going to change.  If you say something to her about it, she may just quit having you over.  I would just let it go.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.--Colette

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Meet her somewhere

say or do something - she may be offended and you could lose a close friend

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Imho, MYOB @wakefield64 :  you're visiting your friend, not her house.  If it bothers you that much arrange to get together elsewhere!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Unless you want to lose her friendship keep the lip zipped.

Fear Is Incomplete Knowledge---Agatha Christie
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn’t bring it up. 

One of my sisters is like this. She admits to being a bad housekeeper. It’s not a priority. Her house doesn’t smell. She just has lots of dust and piles of clutter on the floor, tables, and flat surfaces. I’ve always been a neat freak. We shared a room as children. 😳😱🥴 That was interesting. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just tell yourself that you are going to her home to visit her and not her house.  Everyone has different ideas on what they consider acceptable as far as keeping things clean.

I have a friend who keeps things tidy and dishes done, but her house is dusty, her mirrors cloudy and there are dark smudges and fingerprints on her white wood trim and painted walls.

I just ignore it.  Many years ago, I, as a Realtor, listed her house at the time for sale.  Feedback from buyers wasn't good and her house didn't sell.  When she went on vacation for two weeks, I went in and cleaned her house.  It quickly sold.  When she came back, I don't think she noticed that things were cleaner.

Some people are just not wired to see " dirt" the ways others do.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wakefield64 

Keep quiet about it, she knows. Either zip your lip or meet her somewhere else.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@lovemygrands wrote:

@wakefield64 If you want to lose a friend, keep doing what you're doing.

Keep quiet about it, she knows. Either zip your lip or meet her somewhere else. I personally find those actions insulting.

@You find what actions insulting? I have not said or done anything, simply asking for other opinions.