Honored Contributor

Re: Advice RE a Funeral (Urgent)

@lolakimono 

I just saw this and all of us including all of the teachers here are holding hands of support for those who lost and in some cases took their lives.

We try to be there for everyone, hold, console, dry tears, and cry with (and for) so very many.

Sending love and prayers for all.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono - You did exactly the right thing.  You went.  You were seen.  Your presence at the funeral home will be remembered by the mother of the deceased when she reflects back upon the day, and she will reflect back upon that day frequently.  It is a terrible thing when a young person dies, and only the thoughtfulness of others helps the surviving parents through the most horrible day of their lives.

Honored Contributor

Just knowing you from in here, if the family knows you, they know why you would be there.  Truth, not false reasons.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

I think it is fine for you to attend.  Where I live, the friends and family may call is the wording used and not at all meant to deter anyone from attending.

But it may depend on any rules, regulations or restrictions that may be in place in your area due to the virus.

Agree.  Due to the virus, my own sister's passing, was to be limited in people.  

I believe the funeral is more for those left behind anyway.  So sorry for that loss.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono   I'm glad you made the decision to go.  The family will remember....Bless you for being sensitive to other's needs.

Honored Contributor

@msgb   I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved mother.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry that you lost your sister @qualitygal 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I have, unfortunately, been to a few funerals/wakes/memorial services for children.

It is a whole other level.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think there's a hidden meaning in "friends and family" at all. I've seen that phrase used for funeral visitations by many funeral homes over the years when providing the date and time for those who want to pay their respects. To me it's just an accepted phrase that's used by funeral homes. I'd be surprised if Covid had a thing to do with it.

Honored Contributor

If you want to go, go.  If you don't want to go, don't go.  If you are unvaccinated, don't go.  Whether you go or not, send the family a letter of condolence which will mean more to them than your presence at the funeral.