Honored Contributor

Re: Advice RE a Funeral (Urgent)

@lulu1 wrote:
If the student were one I'd taught, I'd go. If not, I'd send a card/note to the family.

@lulu1 

Yes, this is a student that was in my class this year. However, because I had a first year teacher whom I was assigned to mentor (who was the teacher of record), my name does not appear on his schedule so the family may not "know" me.

The co-teacher is teaching summer school, so he cannot attend today.I'm not sure how many teachers will be able to attend as many are on vacation and it's short notice.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  Depending on the cause of death, the family may not be prepared to have anyone other than immediate family and friends.  In that case, a written note of condolence to them might be more appropriate.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I believe the family would appreciate having his teacher attend.  I suggest going.   

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you should go.  I believe the "friends and family" is to keep it personal.  

There are people that go to 'tragedy' events like it's a a circus.  They would not be welcomed.  MHO

Honored Contributor

I think the term "friends and family" is a generic term. They are using it so they don't have to use gender specific terms.

Please go if you are so inclined, especially if the student was in your class this year.

Honored Contributor

So it seems that we're split on the opinions, but I'm seeing more who think that I should go.  

Trusted Contributor

I would think that if the family didn't want anyone from the school to attend then the email would have gone out saying it was Private.  

As a teacher I would consider you in the friends area.  

Honored Contributor

I just re-read the wording because I have not been to this funeral home before and wanted to check how long it would take me to get there.

It says "relatives and friends."

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono   I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.  It is what YOU are comfortable doing and your heart tells you is the right decision. 

If you choose not to go,  a kind caring card to the family would be appropriate.   If you do go,  I'm sure they would appreciate your presence and you kind words in person.  Either way,   they are both appropriate.

Honored Contributor

I think you should use the "will I regret not going" 

and or send a card