Honored Contributor

Addiction to the internet connection…any one else?

[ Edited ]

Our  Wi-Fi router died on Saturday....so we decided to switch from 25 years of dsl centurylink internet over to xfinty cable internet. We went to Best Buy and purchased a new router/ modem for cable...  called Xfinity and switched over ....DH spent hours trying to hook the new equipment up...talking to CS on phone....etc.  was NOT EASY...and he is pretty darn smart....FINALLY everything's working. Yea!👏👏👏

The two days plus on no internet was very traumatic for me...made me realize how addicted. I am to my IPad and computer...and my daily routine incompassing  using them thoughout the day.  Almost embarrassed to admit it...DH said I was VERY CRABBY😄 I told him, that if I was offered 1 million dollars  🤑for never using my iPad or computer again....I would opt to NOT take the Million dollars....

THAT  is pretty sad.....😳

Honored Contributor

Re: Addiction to the internet connection…any one else?

I think there are many of us that are .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I admit that I am on the internet more than I should be, but during the summer months, I go without service for weeks while at our summer place.

If it is not available, I adjust.  I have had internet service longer than most people.  I bought my first IBM computer in January, 1992.  Back then I had to connect through my land line.

No one could call me after that.  I was hooked.

Respected Contributor

I think that many, if not most of us, are.  Just by the pure fact that we are online reading and responding to these posts.  It's pretty much a fact of life nowadays for us.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't say addicted, but I am dependent on it. Especially since I teach on line classes. Even with face-to-face classes, tests and teaching materials are all out there, as is all of their records.

It's just a whole 'nother ball game.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I don't know if addicted is the best way to describe your condition.  

Once used, the  internet connection brings the ability to touch our lives in so many ways:

ease of getting things done without spending a lot of time and errand running;

communicating quickly even if the other person isn't   readily available to take the message;

researching information in order to make a decision; completing an education requirement for graduation / certification;

learning a new skill;

improving and expanding cooking ability;

relaxation / entertainment.

The ability to utilize the internet has embedded itself into our daily lives for good or worse.  It is how you use it that determines addiction.  Bottom-line question: what are you using the internet to avoid doing ?  If nothing, then I don't see an addiction.

There are certain things I do at different times of the day that are internet enabled.  Once done, then I go about my normal activities that aren't internet-dependent.

As I age, I will probably use it more to accomplish tasks that I can no longer do: grocery shopping, driving etc.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I don't think you're alone, I surely am dependent on it. I cut my cable a couple years ago and use Roku to watch TV, so am lost without it, especially in times of inclement weather where I need to get alerts. I also listen to my music being streamed all day long. The house can get very quiet when internet is down. My internet provider has just switched and I have intermittent periods where it goes out. When I turn on my computer in the morning and see there's no service, it makes me feel a lot worse than it should. I'm not happy that I'm dependent on it...but I am!

Respected Contributor

@jlkz very good and thoughtful post.

In addition, the Internet is a lifeline for people stuck at home for whatever reason as I was with an injury years ago. And for caregivers who can't get out much. I email with such a neighbor several times a day. It's a lifesaver for her. It made me feel connected with the world and I couldn't go out.  

Can you imagine the last three years without the Internet?

I spend a lot of time on it, but I also spend a lot of time cooking, cleaning, exercising, running errands and more. My friend made a New Year's resolution to stop so much screen time, but I'm not making that one! 

Respected Contributor

You are not alone.  I am on the computer 90% of the time I'm at work and then another 30% of the time that I'm at home.

I really need to cut down on my screen time and be more active.  

My DIL had "a day without cell phones" and my son commented that he really didn't miss it.  Even more then computers, people are attached to their phones.  Its just so convenient when needing information, directions, pricing, etc.  

This generation has no idea on how it used to be without cell phones and computers. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   you could just use your phone when there's a blip.  whenever i went and stayed at my Mom's house i just used my phone.  Mom never would have internet.  Didnt understand the need for it.

we had an engineer neighbor in the early '80s who used dial-up for work when we had bad snowstorms.