Honored Contributor

Re: Actually, June Cleaver was pretty savvy.

Cause that's my choice.  @Tinkrbl44

Esteemed Contributor

My great-aunt wore the housedresses with pockets. I never saw her in a pair of pants. I can't remember if she wore a bib apron or not.

Honored Contributor

I have photos of my grandmother, born in about 1895, convalescing from an illness wearing Chinese silk pajamas in about 1914. I also have subsequent photos of her in the 40s and 50s wearing jeans - and this was in an urban area. She also smoked and drank. Bit ahead of her time.

My mother was born in 1919. Growing up, I don't remember her wearing anything but pant suits and pants outside of work starting in the 50s, but she definitely wore dresses and skirts to work and when out on the town. She would have seen my grandmother in pants often so they held no stigma for her and were common from the 1930s on, in cities at least.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I kind of hate wearing dresses since my daughter was born.  Pants are so much easier, they keep your legs warm in the fog and I don't have to worry about my skirts blowing up in the very common Bay Area wind.

I've invested in really nice outfits I can wear anywhere and I always get compliments on my clothes.

I have pix of my mother in the 50s wearing clam digger pants.  She always wore pants when we went camping and when she played softball with the family.  When she got older and was sick from the effects of rheumatic fever she always wore pant suits or pants with nice tops, not jeans, though.

My grandmother lived with us.  The minister's wife.  She dressed every day in a nice dress, almost always a dark color, I don't think she ever got over losing my grandfather, her Edwardian jewelry and her hair dressed.  She was such a lady, she spoke English and Welsh, was an excellent pianist and a scholar, especially in the Bible and Shakespeare.  I loved her so much.  When I was little, she made her closet into a fort for the two of us to play checkers and chess.

Honored Contributor

None of my grandmothers wore pants (or shorts), but did wear bathing suits. 

Although my one grandmother, who lived at the Jersey shore, never wore a bathing suit, pants or shorts.

My grandparents would *stroll the boards* after Mass either Saturday night or Sunday morning and Nonni wore a skirt and blouse, stockings and pumps on the boardwalk!!

Oh how I miss her!

Honored Contributor

I graduated in 1969 and we were not allowed to wear pants to school. In nursing school our uniforms had to be dresses. I think we did sometimes wear pants to our college classes.

Super Contributor

There you go again, tink.  Challenging someone for their opinion. 

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Honored Contributor

Stylish and savvy aren't the same. She always looked lovely and classy, but cleaning the house in heels and pearls isn't really very savvy. Nothing practical about trying to do housework in heels or wearing a dress, crinoline, and pearls to clean the tub.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both of my grandmothers wore house dresses and aprons.  My maternal grandmother had to wear sweat pants the last months of her life when she lived in the personal care home, and while she resisted at first, I think she actually liked them.   

My mother wore pants, pedal pushers, and button up blouses around the house when she cleaned.   Mom loved to dress up in wrap around skirts, and the many pastel shirtwaist dresses in her closet, but no pearls or heels.  I still refer to those dresses as her rainbow sherbet dresses.   Mom did have a pair of white, low heeled dress shoes with a bow that I loved to polish and shine for her.   

I've always worn pants or shorts and usually t-shirts.  

Valued Contributor

I remember watching an episode of "Leave It To Beaver" and Ward hired a cleaning lady for June because she was so busy with her social acitivites. Dare to dream! haha

My dad always told the story of when women first started wearing pants and my moms nephew called her droopy drawers.

Cookin