Super Contributor

Re: Activities Suggestions for Mother-in-Law Visit

@on the bay wrote:

I agree with others not to schedule too much especially if she enjoys sitting and watching the wildlife on the porch.

You can all watch sunsets together there too-that would be a beautiful memorySmiley Happy

I like the idea of having some friends over or included in a lunch date out.

I always appreciate it when My daughter wants to include me in a gathering with friends-it would make her feel loved and special and part of your lives.

Also asking her about her girlhood and school experiences-always becomes a heartwarming and fascinating thing to share with our older relatives and they may not often get to talk about that.

You do sound like you are a loving DIL! That is a very special relationship.Heart

Whenever we are together, she does get to reminiscing. We do a lot of our talking when doing the puzzles. I do want her to relax because she's always busy with church activities and taking pies and potato dishes to their potlucks, funerals, etc.

Super Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Posh Poodle,  Here are a few suggestions.

Does she play cards?

Any botanical places in the area?

Any nice parks you can go to sit and chat?

How about a movie at home?

Take her to Starbucks.

Any unusual boutique stores in the area?

Hopefully, these suggestions will help you out.    Cat Very Happy

We have a neat park down by the river where our poodles love to go. The walking path is straight and paved. Plus, there's seating in case she needs to rest. There's a memory card game we can play, like I used to as a kid but it's a grown-up version. My husband plans on taking her to the new cafe one day when I have to work, which is fine with me--they can drink all the coffee they want!

Super Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

how about taking her to play bingo? 

possibly at the church and i've seen bingo played at firehouses.

I'd have to research any bingo going on in the area. Maybe a senior citizen center? We have some games here that might interest her.

Honored Contributor

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

What are things that are fun for you that you can include her in?  And is there an opportunity for your husband to spend some one-on-one time with his mother and do something she would enjoy with just him?

He does have 3 days off when she first arrives. They both love coffee, which I detest. We have a keurig, and I'm going to stock up on k-cups tomorrow. I will say this: my MIL goes though kcups like nobody's business! And she loves popcorn--more than anybody I have ever met in my life. Gotta' stock up on that, too.

@Posh Poodle

Hmmmmm I may be related to your MIL! My kids always stock up on both when they know I'm coming! Enjoy, I'm sure whatever you do together even if enjoying a leisurely day on the porch will be enjoyable to her - she probably enjoys just being with you 2 & the grandpoodles!

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

What are things that are fun for you that you can include her in?  And is there an opportunity for your husband to spend some one-on-one time with his mother and do something she would enjoy with just him?

That's my suggestion too.  It would be really nice for her to have some one-on-one time with her son.  As the mother of boys, I know I would love that.

I would also ask her what she would like to do.  Is there something she always wanted to do, see, or try that she never has?  Depending on her personality, it might be something intellectual or silly or unusual - or maybe all 3.

It sounds as though you're all really blessed to have each other in your lives.  Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

OP, you are so lucky to have a sweet MIL. Heart

Respected Contributor

If your MIL is 83, she may not feel like doing much.

Have a list of things that you are thinking of doing with her/for her (if she wants to) and run those things by her each evening or morning and let her choose from your list.

Whatever you do, have fun and laugh a lot.  She will remember the laughter.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just thought of something else.  Your DH should invite his mother out for dinner or lunch, just the two of them.  I bet she never has the chance to have him one-on-one with her.  I think that would be priceless.

Super Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I just thought of something else.  Your DH should invite his mother out for dinner or lunch, just the two of them.  I bet she never has the chance to have him one-on-one with her.  I think that would be priceless.

Yes, I suggested last night to him that when I'm at work one day (can't take the entire time off from work), that he take her to the new store in town and the new cafe we have. He thought that was a good idea.

Honored Contributor

It seems like you've got it covered.  We don't know the lady, no way anyone can make recommendations based just on her age.