Super Contributor

Re: Activities Suggestions for Mother-in-Law Visit

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

@Posh Poodle  -  You're a sweet DIL!  Would she like to get her nails done?  That's the only other thing I could think of.  Lunch sounds great and we are a jigsaw puzzle family (always have one going), so that will be fun too.  I agree with others about not overscheduling the day, but sounds like you're good at planning.  Hope you all enjoy the time together!Woman Happy

Just thought of something else.  Are there any older shows, movies, or musicals that she would like watch with you at your home?  When we visited my FIL, he always liked watching old musicals, so that's what we did and it was fun!

She will watch just about anything on TV;although I try to keep it clean. She even watches her son's music videos of these progressive rock bands! And that could be cause she's hard of hearing! Smiley Happy 

She's a very religious lady and isn't into alcohol, so I even go to lengths of hiding the cooking sherry out of respect!

Respected Contributor

You are blessed to have such a great relationship with MIL, that's wonderful. The only thing I'd like to suggest when you chose a movie theater, see if they have these new cushiony oversized reclining chairs. So good for arthritis! We have a theater that have those seats, wow soooooo good. 

Honored Contributor

@Posh Poodle

Maybe you could go shopping one day and before returning home stop at one of those nail salons that doesn't require an appointment.  You could both get a pedicure.  Now that's pampering and fun and relaxing.  I'd bet she would love it especially if she's never had one.  Smiley Happy

I had a wonderful MIL and it's great to read that you and your MIL get along so well.  You are blessed.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Are there must sees or certain foods unique to the area?  If it involves a lot of walking, you can check out renting a wheel chair.  My mother is 82 and comes to visit me once or twice a year.  I'd plan something every other day.  My mother doesn't get to eat out a lot at home and she enjoys it.  She won't go anywhere that involves a lot of walking, she'll sit in the car.  For us, going to Wal-Mart is an outting.  We take a drive to trader Joe's, it's 90 minutes away.

That's a good idea! We do have a new Rural King I could take her to that she hasn't shopped in yet. But my husband may want to take her there because he's a bird enthusiast, and they have a lot of bird items. I may just leave that a son/mother outing one day when I feel like sleeping in! He-he! Cat Very Happy

Super Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@Posh Poodle

Maybe you could go shopping one day and before returning home stop at one of those nail salons that doesn't require an appointment.  You could both get a pedicure.  Now that's pampering and fun and relaxing.  I'd bet she would love it especially if she's never had one.  Smiley Happy

I had a wonderful MIL and it's great to read that you and your MIL get along so well.  You are blessed.

My MIL and I have an "inside joke" between us. I tell her she is my favorite MIL, but she tells me I am her favorite DIL. AND she has 2 other sons besides my husband. I even sign cards to her "from your favorite".

In the past, I have given her a pedicure and will make sure to put it on the "to-do" list.

I am blessed to still have both my parents and this MIL; although she is older because my husband was born in their later years. She encouraged my husband to go to college and despite a very limited income, my husband got a college degree and is excelling at work in a profession he loves. I've never forgotten the opportunities she provided him before I even ever met the hubby or her. She's a simple country lady, beating breast cancer last year. A person of immense faith and humor.

By the way, I need to call her.

Super Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Posh Poodle ~ I think what you have planned is wonderful, you don't need a plan to fill every second.  Let the day take you where it may, which IMO, can be more fun that way.

I agree enjoying each other's company is best, but you're right, I'm an organized person. Spent today scrubbing and cleaning off the front porch, the furniture, and rug getting it "MIL ready". She really loves sitting on the front porch, sipping coffee, enjoying the peace and quiet of the woods.

New Contributor

I have two suggestions for you.  First, do you have or can you ask her to bring, old family photos?  She can help you identify all the people and places.  You could maybe make up a small scrapbook with some of the old photos and a few from this visit.  Either something to take home with her or you could finish it up and send it to her later.

Next suggestion is instead of taking her around to visit some of the older neighbors, have a tea party!  Make it a special event with finger sandwiches, special cookies - maybe encourage all the guests to wear their favorite hats.  Make your MIL the guest of honor.  Play some music from her era.

You sound like a wonderful DIL - enjoy the visit.

Honored Contributor

@Posh Poodle

We just finished watching "Murphy's Romance" with James Garner and Sally Field -- it is light hearted and clean.

Also we watched "Message in a Bottle" which is "heavier" but the scenery in it ... oh! I could hav it on in the background with NO SOUND! (and Paul Newman is in it!) 

The scenery is mostly blue and water... like Paul Newman's eyes!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I love your idea of seeing Wonder Woman. I don't have a MIL but my Mom is 81 and I hope we can go see that together. She loves jigsaw puzzles too, I don't have the patience to do them with her but sometimes I add a piece or two.

Does she like books? We go to the local library together, they have a good collection of large print books and my Mom has a Nook. It's a nice place just to sit and relax.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

It depends a lot on what you know or believe she enjoys doing, and how mobile she is - does she need to sit frequently, is she unsteady on her feet, etc. 

If she is not that mobile for more than short periods of time, many public attractions have wheelchairs available - museums, aquariums, fairs, etc. If she likes gardens, wheel her through one. There are companies who would rent you a foldable lightweight WC that would fit in your trunk. Take a drive to/through some local scenery and add lunch. If she likes animals, if there is a small zoo or sanctuary in your area...

You mentioned movies - how about other types of performance - plays, concerts, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all