Respected Contributor

Re: Activities Suggestions for Mother-in-Law Visit

[ Edited ]

Don't worry about planning a lot of activities.  Being about that age, I enjoy being home and enjoying time with my loved ones who I seldom see.  She may not feel like being on the go so much anyway, I certainly don't.but do enjoy eating out.

Honored Contributor

@Posh Poodle, please come back after your DMIL goes back home and let us hear, "the end of the story". 

Super Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Posh Poodle, please come back after your DMIL goes back home and let us hear, "the end of the story". 

Sure thing, Quality Gal! Thank you for being so interested as to want a follow up. That follow up probably won't come for 3 weeks since she doesn't arrive until this Saturday and is staying for 2 weeks. I'll be happy to post how the visit went. She's a very humble, giving person and usually treats us out to supper one night right before she goes back home.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It seems like you've got it covered.  We don't know the lady, no way anyone can make recommendations based just on her age.   

You're right--for age isn't nothing but a number. When she turned 80, she said, "I'm 80, single, and free." My MIL has a terrific sense of humor. We laugh a lot for sure. Coming from the South, I want to be hospitable and welcoming. The town she comes from doesn't have the amenities and activities that ours offers, so I want to expose her to some of the extras and culture we have.

Honored Contributor

I see that @1 2 3 4 suggested a tea party, what a great idea!

I was thinking of high tea in a nice hotel, but a party would be fun, but maybe more work for you.

Have a great visit!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! 

@Posh Poodle, along with the great suggestions that other posters have offered, my thoughts (for some reason!) always go to food.

Is your MIL a good cook? You say she's from the south, and A LOT of those ladies can cook!

If she's that type, why not ask her about her favorite dishes?

Perhaps things she remembers fondly from her childhood, along with the meals that she made for your DH as a child.

Write them down! Get the recipe!

Once she's gone, that history will be lost.

Food memories = Heart

Maybe on one night, the 2 of you can cook that special something together.

It might please that wonderful son that she raised too.

Enjoy her visit! I think you're great. Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! 

@Posh Poodle, along with the great suggestions that other posters have offered, my thoughts (for some reason!) always go to food.

Is your MIL a good cook? You say she's from the south, and A LOT of those ladies can cook!

If she's that type, why not ask her about her favorite dishes?

Perhaps things she remembers fondly from her childhood, along with the meals that she made for your DH as a child.

Write them down! Get the recipe!

Once she's gone, that history will be lost.

Food memories = Heart

Maybe on one night, the 2 of you can cook that special something together.

It might please that wonderful son that she raised too.

Enjoy her visit! I think you're great. Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for the well wishes! I was after a different perspective asking for others ideas, and some cool suggestions have been made. You surmised correctly that she is a great cook and has her own recipes I wouldn't even touch with a 10 foot pole. One of my husband's favorites is cubed steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm thinking of having her make that for I know nothing would please her more than to cook that for her youngest son. But I do have a slight OCD problem--and that's relinquishing control of my kitchen! So, we'll see, I guess. And she's known to add a little bit of coffee to her cubed steak, and I don't like coffee--not that you can taste it, but just the idea gets to me. Smiley Tongue