Trusted Contributor

Actemra or Tocilizumab infusion treatments

Hi does anyone here take this infusion treatment, and if so does medicare cover yours ? My rheumatoligst started me on this....for R.A. It does work for me,  but now she called it to my pharmacy,  the meds cost.....4000.00 ! Waiting to talk with drs office, but wondered if anyone has info on it. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Actemra or Tocilizumab infusion treatments

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 

I have no experience with these meds, but I wanted to alert you to a government grant program called HealthwellFoundation.org, which  helps Medicare patients pay for high cost prescription co-pays.

My Prolia co-pay was $1500 with Medicare, the grant for this drug made my co-pay $0.

They have a lot of conditions/drugs that they have grants for listed on their website, or you can call them at 800-675-8416 for info on your drugs.

Good Luck!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, i am waiting on drs office call, but pretty sure they will not cover the meds. I will look into that, thank you !

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

Hi does anyone here take this infusion treatment, and if so does medicare cover yours ? My rheumatoligst started me on this....for R.A. It does work for me,  but now she called it to my pharmacy,  the meds cost.....4000.00 ! Waiting to talk with drs office, but wondered if anyone has info on it. Thanks.

@dogsx3 

I have RA, but know nothing about this medication.  Glad it helps

You might get more response by posting this in (Wellness)

Best to you

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have RA and started infusions of Renflexis which are given at my local hospital.. It probably comparable to Acterma although Renflexis is a biologic. I believe that most if not all of my costs are covered by Medicare and my supplemental policy.  I could not afford the co-pays for Humira, etc and could not receive funding from one of the foundations to help patients pay for medicines.

Super Contributor

My husband gives me a shot of Actemra every week. I get this instead of an infusion. When I first started on it, it cost $400.00 per shot! I called my Dr.'s office and told them I couldn't pay that every week. They called the company and since we  earn less than $100,000 a year I qualified for FREE Actemra. Imagine my suirprise! I take it for Temporal Arteritis. It won't hurt for you to call your Dr.'s office to see what they can do for you. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the info !