Esteemed Contributor

Re: ARE THESE FORUMS ON THEIR WAY OUT/

The title of this thread is "Are the these forums on their was out?" Probably not.  Posters will come and go.  New ones taking the place of the old ones.

Esteemed Contributor

A month or so ago, I looked at a site that I hadn't been on in a while and saw the following notice:

Due to the complexities of maintaining a neutral public space free of spam as well as potential liability issues stemming from proposed changes to digital communications law, we have closed the Forums—but we will not be ending the conversation.

Your travel advice, questions, and stories will now continue to be shared at the xxxx group on Facebook.

It made me wonder about this board.  Even though I think that legislation has been shelved (for now), it made me wonder what other outside issues running a board like this there are? 

I started following a person that I liked from a reality show and it turned out she was from a particular political party.  She wasn't "crazy" and spouting fringe junk, so I continued to follow because I think it's interesting to hear from the other side when they talk normally (for lack of a better word!) about it.  She just posted a question, asking for no arguments, because she wanted to know why the other side felt a particular way.  Of course, people had to respond like jerks (and this why WE could never have political posts on this forum), but the posts where people were thoughtful were very interesting to read from both sides.  It's really a shame we can't have those kind of conversations here.  But, as brought up already, we can't even talk about clothes without people taking sides.  And, shouldn't what someone wears be something we should be able to come together and discuss?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Shanus  How about this list:

Did you get your vaccine?

Why don't people wear their masks

I won't leave my house

I am sick of being in my house

Trying to get a appointment for my vaccine

I can't get a hold of anyone to make an appontment

Everybody needs a flu shot

Everybody needs a Pneumonia shot

I got my Shingles shots

I got my first Covid shot 

I need my second shot

I need my Colonoscopy done

LMAO  ok I made some up but seriously???

@BalletBabe , you complain about the Covid threads but you seem to want to turn this into another one.  It's the second time you've brought this up.

Most of those threads are very clearly marked so they are easy enough to skip over.  The problem is, people don't want to skip over them.  They want to come into a thread they disagree with and complain within the thread about the topic and then they often continue to participate in the thread by giving their differing opinion.  Which is fine but then why complain about the topic if they are going to keep participating?  

The same thing happened with all the threads about a certain past host.  All those posters complaining but they showed up on every single thread about her.    

@Lipstickdiva  You seem to follow me where ever I go??  Funny cause I am hardly even here.  No this thread isn't about Covid---This thread is about what aggravates some of us.  Trust me I stay away from the Wellness forums for this reason.  Have a nice day @Lipstick1  I know I will.  :0)

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Shanus  How about this list:

Did you get your vaccine?

Why don't people wear their masks

I won't leave my house

I am sick of being in my house

Trying to get a appointment for my vaccine

I can't get a hold of anyone to make an appontment

Everybody needs a flu shot

Everybody needs a Pneumonia shot

I got my Shingles shots

I got my first Covid shot 

I need my second shot

I need my Colonoscopy done

LMAO  ok I made some up but seriously???

@BalletBabe , you complain about the Covid threads but you seem to want to turn this into another one.  It's the second time you've brought this up.

Most of those threads are very clearly marked so they are easy enough to skip over.  The problem is, people don't want to skip over them.  They want to come into a thread they disagree with and complain within the thread about the topic and then they often continue to participate in the thread by giving their differing opinion.  Which is fine but then why complain about the topic if they are going to keep participating?  

The same thing happened with all the threads about a certain past host.  All those posters complaining but they showed up on every single thread about her.    

And I would say the same thing about all the people who respond with complaints and "who cares" in regard to the host threads. If you find them so annoying then why not just pass THEM by and not participate in something you don't like?

New Contributor

Frequent Contributor

I really, really hope not.  If I have a question about something, from washing clothes to a toothache to family problems, I come to this forum and ask questions or search through old posts.  So many great books were recommended here over many many years.  This board has brought a lot to my life and I am very very grateful to all the gals who are on here.  I do have lots of friends, but NONE watch QVC, so it's kind of a special club.  I hope 

it's revived somehow!

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shanus  - I'm curious to see the replies.  I enjoy the forums - especially early in the morning with a cup of coffee.  I certainly hope they will continue with as much participation as possible.  However,  I get frustrated with the constant poofing of the threads and over-monitoring.  Yeah, I understand it's "their rules-their game", but I believe the poofing has frustrated many and slowed down participation.

I agree too.  All posts should stand.  Good, bad or indifferent.

Honored Contributor

I wish that instead of deleting whole threads so many times, they would just delete offending posts. But I can see how that might take too much moderating and time.

It does seem like the continual, yes mean! posts from repeated offenders are allowed to remain. Yeah I know it's all in the the eyes of beholders. Not really. I think we all can deem what is mean and awful and what is not.

And yes, I think a lot of less participation is being wary of the "snark" and mean replies to whatever is posted.

Also the complaints about QVC itself that seem to be ignored from QVC management. If less are watching, there is less participation in the forums about topics relating to QVC hosts and products.

I remember how exciting it was to talk about Judith Ripka shows and Kirks' Folly and so many things.

But somehow these forums do seem to survive. There must be a rhyme or reason for QVC itself to keep them alive.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I'm in! As long as the Forums are here, I'm in!  I've been here for a few years and for the most part I've really enjoyed the experience.  There have been changes here over the years. And yes, the moderating has become more strict.  

I can remember when I first joined that there were some really crazy, nasty, mean and out there posting!  Trolls also!  I remember some names that every time I saw them I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!  LOL!  

It did become necessary for the moderators to take more control.  It is sad though that many subjects which are meaningful and very relevant cannot be discussed here because they quickly get out of hand and have to be stopped.  

I have days where I don't post anything or maybe make one or two posts because the subjects don't have relevance to me or I just don't have any knowledge about.  I still enjoy reading and see what everyone is doing or what is happening here!  Then other days I feel like maybe something I write could help someone.  

Since I retired and the virus going on for so long, I no longer need or buy a lot of clothing, jewelry, or makeup items.  I imagine that many here are the same.  So, that cuts out a lot of discussions.  It's not that we don't enjoy these things but situations are different now.  I think that the majority of posters are always willing to give good advice and support!  

I hope QVC never does away with the Forums as I feel there is more good than bad and I feel there are many good people here that I so enjoy spending time with.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I refuse to do Facebook. I just received an email that I had 116 friends.  Lol. Where I worked the meaness towards the Tribal Government got so vicious  employees were threatened to be terminated. I know I have read a few posters here that are not into Facebook as have said so. Now that I am retired I  finially have the time to be on the Forums.

I think many here are 50+ and I used to think when I was younger I am not going to discuss all the aches and pains and medical frustrations. Here I am in my 60s. Covid has been saturated on our minds and in the news so comes on here. 

I avoid the depressing titles about illness, death, or news I already  heard.  No big deal. I tend to go to the same forums. I try and stick to the facts as to what I experience. Copyrighting is a legal issue and understand deleting those posts. I have to admit I try and guess why a thread got poofed and who posted and then curious as missed it? Hosts have been discussed  both good and negative but are in the Public Eye and a large part off a business.

I think Q benefits financially when products are discussed, ordered, shared, requested etc. on the forums so that will keep it going. What is the item number of so in so`s top? I know I have ordered after reading about products here. I appreciate a suggestion or idea on an item and experience. I try and respond with Thank You and acknowledge the reply. 

I like to learn from others, Tips, History, Geography, Art, Movies,Travel,  Books, Recipes Decorating, Pets etc. I love  the cartoons and visiting the seasonal group Puddles starts with pretty scenes and quotes. I gloss over their interactions as they  personally know each others families and situations. They are genuinely  supportive to each other and  some avoid the regular forums as know they can be different.