Honored Contributor

ARE THESE FORUMS ON THEIR WAY OUT/

[ Edited ]

I've been coming here for 11 years. I start threads, read posts, reply to most. I go to the many that interest me. 

Over the last six months, or more, there has been very little activity compared to the way it used to be. OK, so there's a pandemic, political unrest and many issues that would make us feel "down". Some people aren't working at all and others from home. Those certainly would not be busy as before.

I have read that some here are experiencing health issues. Maybe that's it. Could the regular posters just be "aging out" and no longer interested in corresponding on this format?

I know it's difficult to stay within forum regulations and frustrating to see the threads removed by mods. Maybe that's it. 

Am I the only one who is still checking in and sees nothing new and interesting to respond to?

Honored Contributor

Re: ARE THESE FORUMS ON THEIR WAY OUT/

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

I've been coming here for 11 years. I start threads, read posts, reply to most. I go to the many that interest me. 

Over the last six months, or more, there has been very little activity compared to the way it used to be. OK, so there's a pandemic, political unrest and many issues that would make us feel feel "down". Some people aren't working at all and others from home. Those certainly would not be busy as before.

I have read that some here are experiencing health issues. Maybe that's it. Could the regular posters just be "aging out" and no longer interested in corresponding on this format?

I know it's difficult to stay within forum regulations and frustrating to see the threads removed by mods. Maybe that's it. 

Am I the only one who is still checking in and sees nothing new and interesting to respond to?

there is nothing new, but it's hard to have a conversation when there is heavy modding.

Me I scroll on by if I don't like or care for a post 

adding

this is a shopping forum and when even as the most hardcore shopper, there is nothing to buy for or go to it gets a bit pointless

Honored Contributor

@Shanus . No you aren't the only one that has noticed! I noticed it too....The only forums that seem to keep moving along as far as I have noticed is Book Club, and Home and Tv and Movies somewhat...

Beauty and Fashion don't seem to move very quickly at all, or Community Chat and Among Friends are much slower! Even Home, which I frequent a lot doesn't have many new postings like it used to. 

I am not sure if people just aren't posting, or if a lot of people have left the Forums because of not being able to talk about much, because it always seems to turn political!

Its sad to see though! 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Shanus . No you aren't the only one that has noticed! I noticed it too....The only forums that seem to keep moving along as far as I have noticed is Book Club, and Home and Tv and Movies somewhat...

Beauty and Fashion don't seem to move very quickly at all, or Community Chat and Among Friends are much slower! Even Home, which I frequent a lot doesn't have many new postings like it used to. 

I am not sure if people just aren't posting, or if a lot of people have left the Forums because of not being able to talk about much, because it always seems to turn political!

Its sad to see though! 

@CANDLEQUEEN   I also think posters tired of the same subjects repeated as if no one took the time to read that the same questions had been asked within the same week or week before. That does get tedious. 

The infighting and bickering becomes a turnoff, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Its sad to see though! 

@CANDLEQUEEN   I also think posters tired of the same subjects repeated as if no one took the time to read that the same questions had been asked within the same week or week before. That does get tedious. 

The infighting and bickering becomes a turnoff, too. 

@Shanus Yes, there is a lot of that as well! That is a turnoff and makes me ignore the post, even if I may have wanted to comment originally!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

While not as long as your 11 years on here, you put words to a fuzzy feeling I began having about a week ago.

There were a few posts about " aging out " and numerous mentions of ailments/ illnesses / recoveries of posters that gave me pause.

Or, it may just be a period of transition from physical and mental exhaustion due to the pandemic changes to daily life that have been accruing, long-lived business closing, inability to properly mourn / grieve losses, enforced separation from normal work environments and human interactions, frustration with trying to get vaccine appointments, sadness that so many are facing food deprivation / loss of housing and jobs, and the turbulence of the political scenes....  The " transition to " is a big unknown question mark. 

All this uncertainty and feeling helpless are taking their toll.  Sometimes, even I don't feel like responding or even starting a thread when I have something to say.  Multiply this many times over and it may account for the smaller postings universe.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  - I'm curious to see the replies.  I enjoy the forums - especially early in the morning with a cup of coffee.  I certainly hope they will continue with as much participation as possible.  However,  I get frustrated with the constant poofing of the threads and over-monitoring.  Yeah, I understand it's "their rules-their game", but I believe the poofing has frustrated many and slowed down participation.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Shanus  - I'm curious to see the replies.  I enjoy the forums - especially early in the morning with a cup of coffee.  I certainly hope they will continue with as much participation as possible.  However,  I get frustrated with the constant poofing of the threads and over-monitoring.  Yeah, I understand it's "their rules-their game", but I believe the poofing has frustrated many and slowed down participation.

Bingo!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I get that with "fashion" there may not be as much interest since we are somewhat limited where we can go. Why spend money now adding clothing we can't wear? Beauty may be the same. Some women say they still wear makeup and skincare, to me at least, is always non-negotiable.

For now, I may place some of the blame on the repetiveness of the products presented. Certainly not much new to discuss there, but if we dismiss that, there must be discussions around those or other topics that interest some worth writing about.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Shanus 

While not as long as your 11 years on here, you put words to a fuzzy feeling I began having about a week ago.

There were a few posts about " aging out " and numerous mentions of ailments/ illnesses / recoveries of posters that gave me pause.

Or, it may just be a period of transition from physical and mental exhaustion due to the pandemic changes to daily life that have been accruing, long-lived business closing, inability to properly mourn / grieve losses, enforced separation from normal work environments and human interactions, frustration with trying to get vaccine appointments, sadness that so many are facing food deprivation / loss of housing and jobs, and the turbulence of the political scenes....  The " transition to " is a big unknown question mark. 

All this uncertainty and feeling helpless are taking their toll.  Sometimes, even I don't feel like responding or even starting a thread when I have something to say.  Multiply this many times over and it may account for the smaller postings universe.

@jlkz   I so agree and sympathize with all you expressed. I've always found the forums a soft place to land when I've needed solice or a place to seek opinions and advice. It would seem being somewhat  "forced" to be alone, we would seek some type of outlet for feelings. 

I would certainly hate to see the forums end.