Honored Contributor

If you are not sick to death of hearing about the TP shortage, I found an article with a logical explanation.

Commercial TP used in offices, restaurants and other places we're not frequenting, is not only a different quality, but also made by different manufacturers...not the ones who make household TP. When everyone started staying home, using THAT toilet paper instead, the shortage began. The commercial TP manufactures have switched over to triple shifts making our much beloved, double ply, quilted, never to be taken for granted again, toilet paper we use at home.

Predictions are shelves will have ample supply (no hoarding and rationing at first) in a few weeks. The same with paper towels and Kleenex. Big difference in the quality of what's offered commercially and for home use. 

Honored Contributor

I find a lot more paper towels and Kleenex than toilet paper, which is nonexistent where I live right now.  Not all brands, mind you, but they are available.

Regular Contributor

Also when we were all working,  we were using their paper.

Now we are home and using more than what was the norm.

So we must make sure we have enough.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I find a lot more paper towels and Kleenex than toilet paper, which is nonexistent where I live right now.  Not all brands, mind you, but they are available.

@geezerette   I guess the reboot is beginning to pay off. Can toilet paper be far behind? Lol 😂 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette   I guess the reboot is beginning to pay off. Can toilet paper be far behind? Lol 😂 

@Shanus 

🤞🙏😆

Super Contributor

Re: AH. TP MYSTERY SOLVED

[ Edited ]

Yes, the shortages we are seeing are all due to supply chain chaos.  Not only are we not using commercial toilet paper, people are using 40% more paper at home. 

Same thing goes for a lot of other items.  My extended family have dairy farms, and people think that the run on dairy products has brought them big profits.  The problem is many dairies send their milk to processing plants that package products for the commercial side like schools, restaurants, etc. Those sales are dead. Those supplies cannot be easily repackaged into the residential product line.  To send your milk to a residential line is also complicated as you must have a contract plus quota rights to ship your milk.  This is resulting in a lot of farmers having nowhere to ship their milk and having to dump it. When you see meat counters empty at the store people might think big money is being made but the beef price is actually down as there are huge losses from not being able to sell to restaurants. Plus butchers are in short supply. Really, there are no winners.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

If you are not sick to death of hearing about the TP shortage, I found an article with a logical explanation.

Commercial TP used in offices, restaurants and other places we're not frequenting, is not only a different quality, but also made by different manufacturers...not the ones who make household TP. When everyone started staying home, using THAT toilet paper instead, the shortage began. The commercial TP manufactures have switched over to triple shifts making our much beloved, double ply, quilted, never to be taken for granted again, toilet paper we use at home.

Predictions are shelves will have ample supply (no hoarding and rationing at first) in a few weeks. The same with paper towels and Kleenex. Big difference in the quality of what's offered commercially and for home use. 

@Shanus  oooohh...that dreaded "operative word"... WEEKS! For anyone who didn't plan ahead, that's a loooong time. You can bet that TP will Never be taken for granted again. 😧

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Makes a lot of sense.

And makes me hope there will be TP on our shelves here in southern Florida before hurricane season begins on June 1.  Usually not many hurricanes right away, but it's the right time to add non-perishables to our pantries and cabinets.   

Besides, I can predict with close to 100% accuracy that I'll be out of TP by then!

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

Yes, the shortages we are seeing are all due to supply chain chaos.  Not only are we not using commercial toilet paper, people are using 40% more paper at home. 

Same thing goes for a lot of other items.  My extended family have dairy farms, and people think that the run on dairy products has brought them big profits.  The problem is many dairies send their milk to processing plants that package products for the commercial side like schools, restaurants, etc. Those sales are dead. Those supplies cannot be easily repackaged into the residential product line.  To send your milk to a residential line is also complicated as you must have a contract plus quota rights to ship your milk.  This is resulting in a lot of farmers having nowhere to ship their milk and having to dump it. When you see meat counters empty at the store people might think big money is being made but the beef price is actually down as there are huge losses from not being able to sell to restaurants. Plus butchers are in short supply. Really, there are no winners.

@busymom22   You're so right. There's also the issue of finding different refrigerated trucking companies to carry products to markets instead of restaurant destinations. Some trucking companies were contracted to bring meat, dairy, etc. to Panera, for example. New contracts, drivers have to be found to fill grocery store warehouses. I hate to think what's happening to the herds of cattle and all the chickens not shipped to market. 😢

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus  oooohh...that dreaded "operative word"... WEEKS! For anyone who didn't plan ahead, that's a loooong time. You can bet that TP will Never be taken for granted again. 😧

@Mimi 1883   Hi. Just a thought. TP in short supply here. A few friends have had success with a service called Instacart if you have that in your area. You can't choose a particular brand of TP, but if any is available, beggars can't be choosers.