Honored Contributor

Re: AAA refresh driving course on line

I've thought about and then promptly forget about it🙂

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Funnier part of this hubby took the online 4 hour course, we submitted it to our insurance, this was in Aug 2016, recently I was looking over our policy and it was not applied. So I called and guess what the 4 hour course does nothing, nada, zip in NY State you need to 6 hour course

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

The insurance discount on my insurance amounts to $8 per month, not worth the time or the money for the course

@I am still oxox   I totally agree... there is little incentive.  I am with Farmers and they offer very little by was of savings. After doing it this time, I doubt I will do it again.. I will look at this time as a good refresher course for me.  But, probably one and DONE. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

There's no statewide insurance discount in CA that I'm aware of, and I don't have AAA auto insurance - plus...5% wouldn't motivate me for that reason alone.

Edit: There IS a discount, but I still wouldn't do it just for 3-5%, whatever it is - but would still do for my reasons below.

But since I may need to take a driving test at my next renewal next year, and if not, the next time certainly, I do want to take a senior driving/defensive driving type of course, whether it's from AAA or elsewhere, but I would look to AAA first and IMO that's a very reasonable price. I'm one of those who would want to go in person. I would pay more attention/get more out of it.

Does CA have a law now about retaking the driving test periodically?  That would have been so helpful with my mother years ago.

@Moonchilde

@tansy, I just checked and it's as I thought I'd read "somewhere", lol - At age 70+, no more renewal through the mail, you must go to the DMV office. If you have any issues with the vision test they will ask you to take a driving test. The driving test isn't an automatic requirement by age specifically, but the likelihood that you may be asked to take one certainly increases.

It will be interesting to see how my renewal is handled - I will be 69 at renewal time. If their computers are okay with that, I'll be good to go with maybe the written or maybe nothing (I had a vision test with my last renewal). But I wonder if they will flag 69 as needing to go in as well. We shall see!

I thought it would be a good idea to brush up on what a DMV tester would be looking to see if I was doing as I drove.

After saying yesterday I wanted to do a course in person, I deduced they're not offering them nearby, so I'm doing the online course. I did two modules yesterday. It penalizes fast readers. I end up browsing QVC and FB waiting for my "time taken to read page" is up. Ugh.

As far as taking their quizzes & final exam - it's not like having a paper resource you can use a highlighter on, so knowing what you should be remembering and making that "handy" to refresh your memory  is ridiculous. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My mother always managed to pass the eye exam, @Moonchilde, but I'm amazed that her ditzy behavior didn't trigger a driving test😏

Honored Contributor

Ha Refresher Course. I think most around here never took a course of anything. They sure don't drive by the rules.

Some think turn right on red means just that. You have to stop & look first but around here some stop some don't.

When you turn left/right thru a median the other car is always on the wrong side. If you are in a car & they are in a SUV or PU you cannot see thru or around them to see when it's safe to go. I'm always on the side I'm supposed to be on & they all think I'm nuts. Not they are since they are not where they should be. They had an article in the newspaper about it & said they were going to start cracking down on it but they never did anything. They love to hand out tickets around here so looks like one specific median in town where they do this they could right tickets all day long.

I guess they need to paint arrows in the medians around here so the numbnuts know which side they are suppose to be on.

Most people here drive like the wrong pic

Says right in the pic both cannot see in the wrong pic

DUH!!! I don't know why they don't get that around here???

Image result for turning right or left through median

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

@SeaMaiden wrote:

DH and I are taking this. We get a discount (5% each) on our car insurance for Three  years  once completed.   Not even  just for the minimal discount ..... It is also just a good idea I think to refresh our minds with  this information since driving laws and such have changed over the 40 plus years of driving we have done. 

It it is a bit slow...not really stimulating to listen to.....but I am just doing a half hour a day or so until a I get through it.  

Have any any of you taken this course? You have a choice of online or they have classes in some places locally.  If you are a AAA member it is $15 a person....if you are not a member it costs $19 a person.

I did this online, but it is 10%.  It is not the AS A one, it is THE MATURE DISCOUNT DRIVING COURSE.  Four hours online. I do two and two.

Honored Contributor

Lol! AAA will reduce your rate by 5%? When they charge 20% more that any other insurance?? Lol! We had AAA for years and now have Progressive. We were getting royally ripped off with AAA. We have more insurance for nearly half the price we used to pay! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'm going to have to double check this ..... I looked into it a few years back, and the course was $30 .....  and, get this .....  the savings on my auto insurance was $8 per year!   I passed on spending 6 hours of my life for this so-called discount.     Didn't make sense, IMO.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden:  Hi I did it online and enjoyed being able to work at my own pace. I completed it and plan to enjoy the discount for the next three years. It's really a great way to refresh your driving skills and I plan to do it again when the three years are up just to keep up to date.