Respected Contributor

A question regarding funeral flowers

A aunt just passed and I was getting ready to send flowers from myself, husband and children. My brother called to say he took care of it meaning one arrangement with all of our names on it....his family and mine. I think we are too old for this, besides it looks cheap. Any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: A question regarding funeral flowers

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 I'm sure your brother was just trying to helpful.  Why not have a fruit basket sent to your aunt's family or a nice arrangement of plants for the home.  Many florists have these options available.

If your children are not grown up how about a floral heart arrangement that can be placed in the open casket.

Hope this helps.  I know customs for funerals can vary so much from region to region, religious practices, and family preferences.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234I think it's fine, just be sure to write your own condolence note and, assuming it's possible, make your own condolence visit.

Sorry for your loss, Panda.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234  If you want to send another arrangement, then do so.  I would.

I can tell you right now from personal experience that names can be left off the card so unless you personally see all names on the card, there is no guarantee your family is included.

By this I mean the florist messing up the card, not that your brother left your names off.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

A aunt just passed and I was getting ready to send flowers from myself, husband and children. My brother called to say he took care of it meaning one arrangement with all of our names on it....his family and mine. I think we are too old for this, besides it looks cheap. Any thoughts?

@panda1234  Sorry for your loss, but I don't believe that you should worry about this.  Tell your brother thanks and move on.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like it was a nice gesture by your brother.  I'd still send my own condolence card, however.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@panda1234 I'm sure your brother was just trying to helpful.  Why not have a fruit basket sent to your aunt's family or a nice arrangement of plants for the home.  Many florists have these options available.

If your children are not grown up how about a floral heart arrangement that can be placed in the open casket.

Hope this helps.  I know customs for funerals can vary so much from region to region, religious practices, and family preferences.

@ aroc3435  Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will send an edible fruit arrangement. 

Respected Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@panda1234  Sorry for your loss, but I don't believe that you should worry about this.  Tell your brother thanks and move on.

@Snowhite714   Thank you and I will move on.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 ....I'd probably let it go and as another posted mentioned you could send a fruit basket and of course I'd send a card...

but why didn't he ask you before taking control..that sort of thing irks me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Obviously he should have checked with you first and not assumed that was what you'd want BUT his intentions were good I guess. Unless he figured it to be more economical for him or both of you to share the cost for the arrangement. So just thank him and then I'd go with that idea of sending an edible arrangement on your own because I think it would make you feel better. But a small one because I've been on the receiving end those more than once and they can be a pain to take apart (all those stabby sticks) and because they use a variety of fruits some keep nicely for awhile but others go funky quickly if not eaten.