Honored Contributor

A lifetime of personal journals - what to do?

I've been keeping a personal journal for almost 40 years. There are some blank periods, but for the most part it's all there in black and white, purple, pink and a variety of other colors.

I was doing a thorough closet cleaning and came across them today, which got me wondering what to do about them.

The entries are from the heart, always truthful, though with a mindful consideration that someone could read them someday.  I know the truth can be hurtful sometimes and I wonder if it's wise to keep them.  There are no big secrets, just the usual trials and tribulations of wifehood and motherhood.  

I'm wondering if it's wise to keep them.  

What good could come of it?

Any thoughts?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: A lifetime of personal journals - what to do?

Do you sometimes read them for fun? Would you miss them if they were gone?

Do you have kids that might like them after you are gone?

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I've always planned to read them, but never have.

My sons are grown, no grandchildren.

I think my youngest son would take the time to read them.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I journal only when I'm going thru a stressed time. Always honest and sometimes raw. I don't hold back.

I don't keep mine for that reason. I also pitched old cards, love letters & momentos from old relationships DS knew nothing about.

I wouldn't put my child thru having to sort thru it.

Honored Contributor

Well unless you are pushed for space, why not keep them? There may come a time when you want to read them

You could let your youngest son decide what to do, when you are gone

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The journals were for you, not posterity.  If you have not re-read them now, you are not going to re-read them now or ever.  You kinda know the ending...lol   There is a lot of personal stuff in them, don't fool yourself, you son isn't ever going to read them.  And he shouldn't.  They served their purpose and you're still keeping your journals.  Your life is moving foward, not backwards.  You might want to discard the older ones and keep the last few years or the last ten years.  Whatever feels right.  Or keep them all, if that's what you feel you want to do.  It sounds like you are making a problem that just doesn't exist since no one is forcing you to get rid of them and you don't want to.

Respected Contributor

But some keep journals as daily therapy not for children to review our history. Honestly there are events and feelings in my history that it would do no good for others to read and try to understand.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

I kept journals from 1977 through 2006.  I shredded mine.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Wether you should keep them or not depends on how personal they are to you.If you don't mind others reading them when your gone then keep them .If not I would shred them asap!!

Respected Contributor

I remember my uncle kept personal journals and when he died my aunt burned them. They never had children and we were quite close to them. I've often wished I could have read them to learn more about his life but maybe it's best that I didn't.  I'll never know.