Honored Contributor

Re: A frugal habit others may think a waste of time?

Although I don't think it's a waste of time, I always open the dishwasher and forgo the dry cycle.  The dishes dry just fine.  Saves a lot of energy.

But the biggest (and most controversialWoman Very Happy) is the fact that I hang clothes out and rarely (and I mean rarely) use the dryer.  I love to hang clothes out!

Granted, I'm in a milder climate and days like today (50s and 60s this week) with sunshine--it's doable.  Rain is coming later this week and no wash will get done.  I hate using the dryer.  And it's better for the enviroment--not using the dryer.

Even when we were still up north last month, I hung wash on days that were sunny and in the 30s and 40s.  Always a nice breeze going and wash was completely dry in a few hours.  

Also, we ride our bikes to the grocery store and do quick small orders-- weather permitting.

Respected Contributor

I guess the only thing I do is save paper towels that are used to dry hands after washing for wiping up floor messes. 

My husband and I walk in our neighborhood every morning and many people use those plastic grocery bags for their trash. They actually don't put out a big bag just a bunch of small grocery bags of trash. I always wonder how the trash pickup people feel about that. 

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

@Gorgf 

Good topic!  Will be fun to read everyone's answers.

For me, I just hate to buy garbage bags.  It gripes me to spend money on something to throw away.  I have smaller trash containers in all of my bathrooms, and even my kitchen.  So I use the bags I get from stores and the grocery store.  

Some are torn and have holes after use, but many are okay.  I recycle the torn ones and use all of the intact ones to line my containers.

I do not cut toothpaste tubes, but I do cut all tubes of lotions.  It is amazing how much product is still there, even when it can no longer be squeezed out.

I also recycle plastic bags from the supermarket and use them for smaller trash containers.

I also do that, however now some of the stores i go to are now into brown bags, hate them!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl   If you coat your measuring cup or spoon with a smidgen of butter first, the ingredient you're measuring will slide out easily and completely.  This is especially true  for measuring syrups or honey, and will give an accurate measurement instead of leaving so much in the cup.  

@chickenbutt  Those bread tabs are good for one-use scrapers for stuck-on stuff.  

My frugal tip:  As an Amazon Prime member, I've saved a lot on shipping charges.  I use the Amazon credit card exclusively on their site, and the reward points it accrues pay for my annual membership. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

All of you talking about using a hand towel instead of paper towels are cracking me up.  I had no idea that I should be using paper towels to dry my hands (unless I was cutting raw meat).  I have always used hand or dish towels.  Just how I was raised.

Honored Contributor

Some HOAs do not permit hanging clothes outside. Then what do you do?

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use paper towels sparingly.  In the kitchen, I keep an old dish towel on-hand to dry the countertop and clean-up messes that are just water.  I tear select-a-size towels in half before using..  I dry and re-use paper towels when practical. (And, oh yes - I dry hands using regular towels, not paper towels.)

I make my own note paper by cutting up junk mail that's blank on one side (using a paper cutter).  I also make note paper using sheets I've printed that are no longer needed.

I coupon and spend time matching coupons to store sales in order to get the best prices.  I end up taking things I've gotten free to the food bank.

Like everyone else, I save plastic bags from the store and use them to line waste baskets.  I recycle as much as possible and cart everything to the recycling center four times a year.  The upshot is that I have very little actual garbage: I put a bag out for pick-up once a month or less.

At the kitchen sink, it takes almost a gallon before the water runs hot.  Rather than let it run down the drain, I put it in watering cans for plants.  It's an easy solution even in winter since I have a lot of houseplants.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  My Aunt in CA. used to use a drying rack on her patio.  They owned their own home ,but neighborhood restrictions. There were  are alot of rules.

My Uncle even fixed one for her that broke. He was handy and could fix anything.  I recall she would use pencils down as far as she could and and add the eraser heads. I bet they were cast offs from school as she was a teacher.

I used to have boys in High School pencil fights with new pencils  to see whose broke first and it drove me crazy. I told them about a teacher who annually went to Poland in the summer to teach English and how they used every scrap of paper and stubby pencils. I used to give her new pens and pencils to take along as got them from college and military recruiters.

Sorry one thought led to another....

Honored Contributor

I use All laundry detergent.

I happened to look into what I thought was an empty container one day to see that there was enough detergent left for at least two wash loads that wouldn't come out through the spout, even if I left it upside down.  Now I pull the spout out to get every last bit.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG ---I usually use cooking spray for extra sticky things--but doing that with everything is not as easy/qiuck as  a good spatula.