Esteemed Contributor

Re: A frugal habit others may think a waste of time?

Many years ago I briefly worked at a Savings and Loan as a teller.  It was my job to post mortgage payments to the computer, which broke the amount paid into principal and interest. From that year I worked there I learned all about interest and compounding and the knowledge has served me very well in the decades that followed.  If you don't know about this look up "amortization tables" and plug your mortgage in and run different scenarios ( for ex. if you change your 30 year mortgage into a 15 year term; what happens if you refi at a lower rate).  I always pay extra money against any loan and make sure to specify that it go against "principal".  I always pay off my cars at least 1 year earlier and we paid off our most recent home ( was already on a 15 year mortgage) six years early.  By following this principle for 37 years we have saved many thousands of dollars and even in economic downturns we've never been " upside down"(owed more than our asset was worth).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 

Yes, thank you for mentioning them.  I bought a couple of these little spatulas at Sally Beauty Supply.  I have gotten a lot of use from them.  It it amazing how much product gets left behind in tubes and other oddly shaped cosmetic bottles.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@panda1234 

Yes, thank you for mentioning them.  I bought a couple of these little spatulas at Sally Beauty Supply.  I have gotten a lot of use from them.  It it amazing how much product gets left behind in tubes and other oddly shaped cosmetic bottles.

Those spatulas are very handy to have. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I find now that we are sheltering in place I will wear all my tees with tummy holes that are thinner or thick and thin slub that weren't cheap a few more times.  If they are newer and I like them I have even 'darned' the little holes (lile my mom did sometime) that have appeared at the waist line. 

I thought it was just from my seat belt but now think it is the top of my jeans waistband where it sticks out over the button that is causing the little holes.  That and the weight and durability of a cotton tee or cotton blend is not what it used to be.

Valued Contributor

Excellent tip Patbz.  I learned that tip when I was a young woman just starting out from a wise older co worker friend.  (o.t. - Did you ever use the name Pat22?)

Esteemed Contributor

@CaChica : I've always been Patbz.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use plastic tackle boxes for earrings.  They were 4 to 8 dollars each and hold 24 pairs.  If they get knocked over they don't spill.  

A thought about the plastic grocery bags some people don't know what to do with:  Walmart takes these from any store.  And if you hate Walmart and don't shop there, drop the bags off anyway, you can think you are sticking them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do much that has been mentioned, using old envelopes for notes, recycling everything possible, has to be clean, as recycling is mandatory here, hard plastic, plastic bags, foil and tin, newspapers, paper and magazines, cardboard, and glass, even used cardboard such as pizza boxes, etc.

I scrape the mayo jar and peanut butter jars, all jars, bought a specific type of scraper for this, long handle and very slim scraper, works perfectly, and any tubes squeezed empty.

All food scraps go into a large box in the garden to be reused once it is broken down, in the garden, all leaves go into the garden beds as well.  I freeze Parmesan rinds to add to homemade soups.  

I don't buy cleaners, just use soap and water.  If leaves fall off of my faux flowers, I save them for use in scrapbooking, also any flowers.  I save all ribbon.  as so many items come with ribbon, so I have a huge stash for scrapbooking or wrapping presents.

I do any laundry at night a few times a week, and only run the dishwasher every third day or so.  As it is, I have to wash pots, pans and knives every day as I don't put them in the dishwasher.

I use paper towels, but mostly I use bar towels and dish cloths which are washed when I am down to the last few.

I grow herbs, here they are perennial, and grow tons of basil, to process with olive oil for the freezer to add to soups and sauces.  I also grow chiles, not every year, and freeze.