Honored Contributor

Re: A frugal habit others may think a waste of time?

I am frugal about toothpaste.  I don't cut the ends off but I squeeze from the bottom of the tube and I only the same amount my hygienist uses when she cleans my mouth.  There is no use in overload.  I begin rolling from the end when I open the tube after first uses.  I squeeze every drop.

I save grocery store bags for trash liners in the bathrooms.

I do use vinegar for cleaning as it not is saving on the budget but is a natural disinfectant and less harmful to the lungs and brain than more harsh cleansers.

I was told Coronavirus was not killed off by vinegar, so invested in some Clorox wipes.  I still use vinegar consistently and the Cloroxwipes occasionally.  I don't think Corona has set up headquarters at my house --- yet.  Though it may happen, I use Dawn because it cuts grease and is less expensive and a paper towel in a little hot water and a drop of Dawn from the dispenser work just fine at wiping down the counters and cabinets.

True story:  One son was friends of a senator's kid whose family I had met when working.  As many government official households do, they did not have 'domestics' in their household.  She kept house, raised kids, bought groceries, planned family activities, worked in the PTA, sold Girl Scout coookies and dressed up for formal events like the other wives.  She was taken to the hospital emergenty for a ruptured gallbladder during which time he hired domestic help. 

He was running low on deodorant and down to the last little bit, he placed the container in the microwave, thinking it would melt and he would get more use from it.  It blew the door off the microwave.  Men!  What would they do without their wives?  After that, they did get help in the house but the wife still ordered all the cosmetics, sundries and groceries once she was recuperated.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@wagirl   If you coat your measuring cup or spoon with a smidgen of butter first, the ingredient you're measuring will slide out easily and completely.  This is especially true  for measuring syrups or honey, and will give an accurate measurement instead of leaving so much in the cup.  

@chickenbutt  Those bread tabs are good for one-use scrapers for stuck-on stuff.  

My frugal tip:  As an Amazon Prime member, I've saved a lot on shipping charges.  I use the Amazon credit card exclusively on their site, and the reward points it accrues pay for my annual membership. 

I recently got my Amazon email for 2020 and the amount I received back on my Amazon card exceeded the amount I paid for Prime, by quite a bit.  It's so worth it for somebody like me who isn't into shopping.  Whatever I don't get at the grocery store I probably got on Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@4kittiesI do the same thing with plastic grocery bags. They are the perfect size to use in small bathroom trash cans. I also cut open bottles of lotion. The amount of product left in the container is amazing,

Frequent Contributor

I, too have a big problem with waste, i use a papercutter and i cut all my papertowels in half, and put them in the kitchen and bath. I run a distiller,  so no bottled water to lug, but only run it evenings when cheaper. I, use blackout curtains to save on heating and cooling, as for bars of soap, as they shrink down i put them in a nylon and tie it to the bathtub handle. I groom my own dog, and we do our own hair in this house easier on the wallet and also safer. We also have roku, and fire with a mohu antenna, to save on our viewing. We use electric fireplaces in the parts of the house were in and wear a sweater, socks and a beanie,and if still cold we turn on a fireplace. I hang out our laundry not just because it's free, i like the sun to dry my clothes. I, have a gas dryer but only use when we get rainy days. Library was a great place to buy our books,cds etc. or just rent, now since the pandemic, we put that on hold. We shop costco to save and keeps us from having to go out as often. discount on sees candy, movies etc.. May seem strange, but i keep packets from fast food and use those in our meals, they give you so much,i hate to waste. I do what most people do to save and i really don't think it's odd, but it drives my son crazy.I, learned from my parents and they were the greatest example. I, think ways to save money helps us to be aware of were we put our money, and the importance of being mindful of our everyday habits, good or bad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've thought of a few things after my original post.

I never use  my clothes dryer & I would never live where I have an HOA 

I love hanging out my sheets especially.    

It's funny when people mention how much they save by doing certain things themselves..  Haircuts for example.

Most of the time I use a barber.  My hair is fine & straight, a barber can cut it in a simple bob and the price is cheaper than a salon would charge.   I would never feel I have to cut my own hair just to save maybe $50 a year.  I no  longer color my hair or have it colored

I don't use note paper for anything.   I keep anything I need to know on my smartphone.   It's very handy for groceries, I have a master list & just check off what I currently need.  I don't have a paper calendar, I keep everything on my phone calendar.  I take a lot of pictures when shopping, to remind me of what's available or prices or anything, instead of making a list

For example, I'm looking to replace the floor in my small master bath.   While shopping I'll take pictures of what I like, included in the picture will be the price & the name or code number.   No need to make a list

Edit, there was 1 other thing I wanted to mention.   I don't know where the misconception of saving the trees originated.    Trees are renewable.    I live in an area where trees are a big industry.    There are acreas & acreas of forests & nearby paper mills.    It's a science how the trees are harvested & replaced.   The people making money in the industry are not foolish enough to put themselves out of business by wasting trees.   Some other parts of the country may have a problem with trees not used for lumber or paper being sacrificed but for the most part, you can use toilet paper guilt-free.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I've thought of a few things after my original post.

I never use  my clothes dryer & I would never live where I have an HOA 

I love hanging out my sheets especially.    

It's funny when people mention how much they save by doing certain things themselves..  Haircuts for example.

Most of the time I use a barber.  My hair is fine & straight, a barber can cut it in a simple bob and the price is cheaper than a salon would charge.   I would never feel I have to cut my own hair just to save maybe $50 a year.  I no  longer color my hair or have it colored

I don't use note paper for anything.   I keep anything I need to know on my smartphone.   It's very handy for groceries, I have a master list & just check off what I currently need.  I don't have a paper calendar, I keep everything on my phone calendar.  I take a lot of pictures when shopping, to remind me of what's available or prices or anything, instead of making a list

For example, I'm looking to replace the floor in my small master bath.   While shopping I'll take pictures of what I like, included in the picture will be the price & the name or code number.   No need to make a list

Edit, there was 1 other thing I wanted to mention.   I don't know where the misconception of saving the trees originated.    Trees are renewable.    I live in an area where trees are a big industry.    There are acreas & acreas of forests & nearby paper mills.    It's a science how the trees are harvested & replaced.   The people making money in the industry are not foolish enough to put themselves out of business by wasting trees.   Some other parts of the country may have a problem with trees not used for lumber or paper being sacrificed but for the most part, you can use toilet paper guilt-free.

@software  You are so right.  Trees are a crop and are continuously being replanted.  I would rather our grocery stores automatically ask if paper is okay instead of plastic.  I suppose the plastic bags cost them less money.  But the plastic bags are so thin and cheap that some have ripped and dropped my groceries onto the driveway or kitchen floor.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

We are VERY frugal!! Always have painted the walls, rooms in our homes. Never hire anyone to do such a simple job. We wash our own outside windows. Never would pay someone to wash a window. We do all of our own tiling. We've tiled bathroom floors, kitchen backsplashes, etc. So fun and rewarding! We detail our own cars, repair our own cars, cut our own grass. You name it, we do it!! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Interesting thread! I use all grocery bags for trash. I cut open lotion tubes, I re-use sandwich bags-mostly for crafts.  I also save the return envelopes in bills-I sell things on Marketplace & other FB groups. I attach the envelopes (with names added) to items for people to leave their money in. (I do porch pick up). I used to save medicine bottles, until they switched to the weird bottle caps. 

I buy frames at the thrift stores for my crafts, as well as many other items. 

I'm a big crafter, & save lots of things to recycle in crafts. The simplest things can be so useful, in crafting. 

My g-mother great up in the depression age. She told me once, they even saved pieces of string, that might be used for sewing a button or such. She passed her frugal ways on to my mother, who was extremely frugal & saved EVERYTHING!  She passed it on to me, but I'm not as bad as she was. My mom saved every piece of paper she could re-use. When she passed away, I threw away a ton & brought home MANY note pads. 

Nothing wrong with recycling! 

Honored Contributor

Interesting topic!

I think I am frugal but after reading a lot of these posts I guess I am not nearly as frugal as I thought!  

Like many here, I do try really hard to get evrything out of tubes of things.  Also, I get peeved at pump bottles.  They should invent better systems, as there is so much left in the bottle that will not come out unless you take the pump out and shake it out!

As for re-using paper towels --- yuck --- no way!  I have in the past, cut half a sheet off to use because I only needed a small section.  Since they make half sheets now, I don't need to do that any longer.

With liquid laundry detergent, when the bottle is "empty", I do add some warm water and shake a bit to get a load or two more out of it.

Here is a tip for inexpensive jewelry trays if you have a ton of earrings like I do:  I went to the dollar tree (everything is $1) and bought several plastic icecube trays.  You can use each cube space for a pair of earrings or I put several pairs in one cube space.  I can stack several trays on top of each other in a designated drawer I have!  Works like a charm.

I would say the most frugal things that I do otherwise is I buy store brand products when I can instead of name brands.  

I also buy a lot of things at the dollar tree.  Such things as dusting/clean items, decorative paper plates and napkins for occasions, tape, wrapping paper, cards, books, pens, pencils, envelopes, tissues, decorating items, etc.!  I save so much money this way!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@Gorgf 

Good topic!  Will be fun to read everyone's answers.

For me, I just hate to buy garbage bags.  It gripes me to spend money on something to throw away.  I have smaller trash containers in all of my bathrooms, and even my kitchen.  So I use the bags I get from stores and the grocery store.  

Some are torn and have holes after use, but many are okay.  I recycle the torn ones and use all of the intact ones to line my containers.

I do not cut toothpaste tubes, but I do cut all tubes of lotions.  It is amazing how much product is still there, even when it can no longer be squeezed out.

@4kitties  did you know Amazon sells spatulas that are very small used to get makeup out of small containers? This would be somerhing like lip gloss in a tube.