Honored Contributor

Re: A School Day in "world class education" district

[ Edited ]

No school buses for high school in our area unless kids are two miles from school. High school only. So kids walk or parents take them.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

No school buses for high school in our area unless kids are two miles from school. High school only. So kids walk or parents take them.

Not any different than when I was in HS. Two mile rule, you took the city bus, not a school bus.

I walked just under 2 miles every day of HS. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Not any different than when I was in HS. Two mile rule, you took the city bus, not a school bus.

I walked just under 2 miles every day of HS. 

@Snowpuppy  Depends where you live. My grammar school was a couple miles and I walked or rode my bike.Small town of a few thousand people so no city buses. High school was a regional in the next town which required a school bus as it was about six miles away.

I live in a different state now and that is the two mile rule I talked about before. Of course I went to school in the old days...fifties and sixties LoL.

Honored Contributor

We are still education students the way they did in the 1800's, schoold schedules haven't changed since those days.  I think the entire educational system needs to be re-vamped to better use technology and to better serve students and teachers.  Teachers are foced to spend too much time on non-educational tasks.  But simply lengthening the school day is not the way to help anyone kids, parents or teachers.  That would only compplicate things further, if it even came to pass.  The fact is lengthening the school day would require additonal statt, the re-wrting of teacher contracts and lots and lots of money.  The proposal was nothing more than a desperate attempt for media coverage and votes.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ruby Laine wrote:

This is the concept of a senator who wants 10-hour school days in order to help working parents. I don't think logistics have been well thought out yet. Then there's the problem of how to pay for the extra hours of staff, materials, and utilities. 

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

If it benefited the students, I'd be all for it but if it only to help out working parents, I think its a bad idea.  School staff are educators not babysitters. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, ten hours a day is too much for children. It's been a while, but I do remember being a child and had enough by the time I got  home from school.  That is "overtime" for most adults.  I have to wonder under this proposed schedule if in the wintertime, some of those children would be leaving school in the dark?

Nevermind the cost, unless all contracts with the teachers are renegotiated to force them to work longer hours for the same pay, as they are "professionals"; and given a straight salary as opposed to calculated hourly/daily.  As many teachers take work home and tutor on their own time, this would be a hardship on them as well. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

Here in Northern VA, we just had a school board election.  Some of the issues involved spending millions to rename schools along with  "equity" concerns.

There were several discussions on FB and I repeatedly asked what interventions were currently in place to help kids - particularly in primary grades - who were struggling with reading.

As I noted, I am all for diversity and I don't necessarily oppose busing to achieve it, but I would also like to know specifically what is being done for the aforementioned kids.  I'm not talking about kids on IEPs or in ESL classes, I mean the kids who may have no one at home able to help them, dysfunctional or chaotic homes, other problems affecting their ability to concentrate at school - or just simply strugging, but with no "diagnosis" that triggers extra help.

After a lot of platitudes about the glories of diversity and equity (which again I am all for - but that doesn't necessarily address my question), I finally got a school counselor to tell me that - for the kids I described - neither counselors nor teachers were responsible for any such interventions.  That duty went to social workers (and unfortunately the school budget doesn't allow for many of those - so not all schools have access to them).  

The social worker would refer such a child to a community (NOT a school) program for extra tutoring.  Unfortunately, not many struggling kids get this "help."

Needless to say, I was very disappointed to hear this and am very dissatisfied about how our tax dollars are being spent.