Respected Contributor

A School Day in "world class education" district

A few days ago I heard of a state that was contemplating  making the school day longer in an effort to improve the education it provides.  Kudos to them for thinking that something needs to change, but I have to wonder if more time is the answer, especially after spending the day within a high school today subbing in a prominent district.  I shake my head in disgust as I see our tax dollars flying into the trash.  Let me explain.  The high schools are now using a flex time period several times a week .   It gives students more than a class period of "free" time to work with teachers if they need help, complete work, etc.  They can go where they see fit or need.  As I sat in the library that was full with students I observed more than one third of the computers being used for gaming (why it's permitted on the network I don't know), students playing cards, using their phones, etc.  The hallways were full with students doing likewise.  Does someone really think that the needy student is going to use this time well?  It's the same old thing - those excelling will use time well but the middle of the road and lower student will be given more unconstructed time with little guidance.   Meanwhile teachers are needed to watch hallways, etc. in order to make sure no big problems arise.  Earlier I was in a middle school where students were using a PE room filled with ellipticals, stairsteppers, etc.  Lovely thought, but these machines are not respected as they shoulde be.  Maintenance must be a nightmare.  When are administrators and do-gooders going to realize that it's not quantity of money or time that makes a difference, it's the quality of the time and attention that  provides students with the tools to learn.  Simple manners are so missing.  Phones are a huge distraction.  Kudos to the teachers who make students put phones in a cubby in the classroom for the hour, eliminating cheating and temptation and enforcing rules.     OK, thanks friends, for lilstening to my rant.

Trusted Contributor

Re: A School Day in "world class education" district

I applaud you for your candid assessment of education in today's world. I am so thankful my daughters are grown and on their own, with graduate level degrees and good jobs. I was very involved in volunteering all throughout their school days and I was at their respective schools a lot. Of course this was before all kids had phones and they were certainly not allowed in class. 
If I were you, I would write a letter to  your local school superintendent, telling him or her exactly what you posted. Change has to start at the grass roots and educators need to be informed as to what is going on. Teaching is the hardest profession, especially now when students have no respect for learning, or even know how to learn. Amazing, I know.

When I grew up, discipline in schools was strict. You were there to learn and not be in a "safe" space or catered  to or coddled. My siblings and I attended Catholic schools and we were there to study! The nuns were strict, but they wanted every student to succeed. In high school it was expected that you would go on to college. All of us pretty much did just that. Kudos to you for your work in substitute teaching. Hang in there, and if you can help one student, your work is validated. I can only imagine how frustrating all of this is.  Good luck. Your work is very important!

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom @TexasMom1 

i agree with both posts.

Schools do not need to add more time to the school day.

As it stands now, the students who are there to learn are doing just that while at school.

The students who are not there to learn are doing the other stuff ... busy on their phones/gaming on computers/painting their fingernails/taking drugs/avoiding tasks necessary to make them successful later on in life.

When I taught, the rule was "no use of cellphones during class time" and the school backed that policy.

My students looked at me in shock if I took their phones (then they admitted they knew the policy and sort of laughed good-naturedly).

But, the needs you mention would be nice to meet: giving students the extra help they need to master the class work.

The concept that learning is important and "the teacher is to be respected" can be taught at home.

The concept of "work before play" can be taught at home.

The concept that "disruption of the classroom causes learning time to be lost for students who are there to learn" can be taught at both places.

Until those who have diligent students complain vociferously, I'm afraid the message won't get through.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

This is the concept of a senator who wants 10-hour school days in order to help working parents. I don't think logistics have been well thought out yet. Then there's the problem of how to pay for the extra hours of staff, materials, and utilities. 

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom  you sound like my husband, he is a retired math teacher and subs in the middle and high school in our town. I have a feeling kids are going to look at a 10 hour school day as punishment, no matter what their level of excellence is.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ruby Laine wrote:

This is the concept of a senator who wants 10-hour school days in order to help working parents. I don't think logistics have been well thought out yet. Then there's the problem of how to pay for the extra hours of staff, materials, and utilities. 

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Maybe she should be rephrasing her proposal as  " after school daycare for children of parents who work ".  Disgusing it as  children needing additional learning hours is a ... load of baloney.

The condition of most public schools are  not what I want for my Grandson, so it's either private school or he'll be home schooled by me. At least he will be taught respect,  manners,  self  worth , family values and a love of  learning .

Respected Contributor

Talented dnd gifted are well served in the district from grade thru high school. What needs to be addressed are those students who are eager to learn but need more teaching and Practice. That’s where the future can be positively impacted and changed. Furthermore, these middle level students do not deserve to be grouped with disruptive snd nonmotivated students. There’s a huge difference.
Esteemed Contributor

So many are looking at Europe's family-oriented work style and thinking workaholic Americans are working harder and not smarter. To extend childrens' days to match wonky adult work days is anti-family, IMO. At some point, American culture needs to get smart. We're not doing ourselves any favors. IMO, of course.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

But, but....mom and dad must work long hours so everyone has a $1500 phone, contract, storage and unlimited streaming!

Besides, if you drive by your local school, parents line up in their SUV's to pick kids up! Take the schoolbus or walk? Hardly!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

But, but....mom and dad must work long hours so everyone has a $1500 phone, contract, storage and unlimited streaming!

Besides, if you drive by your local school, parents line up in their SUV's to pick kids up! Take the schoolbus or walk? Hardly!

@Snowpuppy Today I witnessed exactly what you mentioned. In less than a mile I passed 2 separate cars parked at the end of cul-de-sacs waiting to pick kids up when they got off the bus. This is on the outskirts of a small town. These children would not be walking on a busy road. Both these roads are dead ends with a small amount of houses on each side. Kids can’t even walk a short distance home today. Smh