Frequent Contributor

My biggest pet peeve with sheets is the fit and shrinkage when laundered!  I would like manufacturers to make sheets with a percentage of spandex woven in them for firm stretchability (better fit)  and for limited shrinkage problems. This is a no brainer.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Question re Sheets

[ Edited ]

@Fona wrote:

Ladies:  I have enjoyed reading your suggestions and I can only say thank you for taking the time to answer.  To get started, I am going to try the Target Threshold cotton sheets AND some of those sheet suspenders to hold them in place, and I am really hoping that will be the answer.  If not, then I'll keep going because there are a lot of your other suggestiions I can try.  I really appreciate your posts.

You should be all set, Fona. Smiley Happy

I sleep on 100% cotton (natural & breathable!) sheets year-round...

*200-500 thread count

*Egyptian if affordble

*sateen in the summer

*flannel in the winter

*jersey knit or regular in the spring and fall

...and use sheet suspenders when necessary.

It all works out just fine.  8)

Respected Contributor

@MaryA wrote:

My biggest pet peeve with sheets is the fit and shrinkage when laundered!  I would like manufacturers to make sheets with a percentage of spandex woven in them for firm stretchability (better fit)  and for limited shrinkage problems. This is a no brainer.

I bought some bamboo sheets once.  They were lovely as far as feel goes.   They shrunk really bad, but I still use the pillow cases.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Fona

L.L. Bean percale is what you want.  Buy them, wash them, use them forever and return them if you don't like them.  Satisfaction guaranteed + free shipping. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom I have been very happy with LLBean percale... not the "Sunwashed" (which are forever crinkly)... but the individually priced ones.

Recently, they needed to be whitened up and oxyclean liquid, chlorox 2 + Tide (free/sensitive) soak overnight really brought them back.  The threads are not satiny (that is a no at our house, too) these are stabile, cool and crisp.  (thanks to @lolakimono for suggesting these.

Another thing: I used to love the fleece sheets even in summer (easy to stretch and fit) however, our new mattress has a bit of a "pillow" so the fleece sheets now feel hot to me.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I am SO HAPPY- I found mine under "sheet garters" and between learning where to put the tag on my sheets to match the shape of my mattress,and my garters, my life has changed for the better after 35 years of swearing on sheet changing days.

I love my garters so much that I now ALWAYS give them as Wishing Well Wedding shower presents. I tell these naive little bridies that they may not know that they need them, but sooner or later, they will!!!

Honored Contributor

violann wrote:

I am SO HAPPY- I found mine under "sheet garters" and between learning where to put the tag on my sheets to match the shape of my mattress,and my garters, my life has changed for the better after 35 years of swearing on sheet changing days.

I love my garters so much that I now ALWAYS give them as Wishing Well Wedding shower presents. I tell these naive little bridies that they may not know that they need them, but sooner or later, they will!!!

I can relate to this (bolded by me).   But in my case, like a dunce, I never thought about the tag on the fitted sheet (d'oh!).  I just started buying sheets with the tone on tone stripes.   Smiley Happy   The stripes are always vertical (head to foot). 

It seems like before that, every single time, I'd start to put it on the wrong direction.  With my current physical challenges, it's hard enough to do the sheets and I have to do them in stages.  But when I had to do the fitted one twice I wanted to scream!

Honored Contributor

Re: A Question re Sheets

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@violann wrote:

I can relate to this (bolded by me).   But in my case, like a dunce, I never thought about the tag on the fitted sheet (d'oh!).  I just started buying sheets with the tone on tone stripes.   Smiley Happy   The stripes are always vertical (head to foot). 

It seems like before that, every single time, I'd start to put it on the wrong direction.  With my current physical challenges, it's hard enough to do the sheets and I have to do them in stages.  But when I had to do the fitted one twice I wanted to scream!

I'm way more than a dunce, as this was totally unknown to me until you both posted it here... duhhhh!.  Smiley Tongue

(((chicky, Ru, & Tarz)))

Respected Contributor

LOL, the tag is really important on a Ca.King.  The sheets are practically square. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

MaryA wrote:

JC Penney's has some. I think they are called True Fit or Fit True. I do not have any, just saw them when looking for a different set.