Esteemed Contributor

Re: A Note From My Mail Carrier ",Request for a Larger MailBox?"

Several years ago, we had a neighbor who received a similar request from the post office.  She was a widow who lived alone and had a long uphill driveway.  She ordered a lot from catalogues, HSN, and QVC.  She ended up having the largest mailbox on the street--about 3 or 4 times the size of everyone else's.  She loved getting packages and she loved her big mailbox, but I think she missed the interaction with the mailman who didn't come to her door as often.

Our current neighborhood has homeowner's association regulations and we're all supposed to have the same mailbox, so I doubt a request like that would go over here.

Honored Contributor

Thinking about this a lot. I think I would check w/the Postmaster.

Honored Contributor

My first action would be to call the post office your mail is routed thru, and speak to the postmaster about this notice.  

As long as you have a standard size mailbox, you are in compliance with postal regulations.  It sounds like your carrier wants you to make her job easier.   

Honored Contributor

In our rural area, the packages are placed inside plastic bags and hung from the boxes.  Fed Ex and UPS are placed on the ground near the posts if they can't get in the gravel road because of poor conditions.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

It seems to me that if "THEY" want you to have a bigger mailbox, "THEY" can buy and install it for you.

Then YOU can pay a lot more for delivery and mail from UPS or FEDEX and you won't have to have a box.  They will trot it right to your door.

For a small fee.  Increase Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, I had a regular sized mailbox; the kind of box on a metal pedestal.  One summer we had a gang of kids bashing and knocking over everyone's mailboxes in our area.  So I had a regular sized mailbox put up in a rock/cement structure.  No way anyone can bash that formation!!

My mailman brings all my larger packages and mail bags to my front door!!  He really is kind.....

Honored Contributor

I don't live in a rural area but I do have "rural" mailbox across the street.  It is larger than the small mail boxes but not huge.  If my mail carrier has a package that does not fit he walks across the street, rings my doorbell and if I answer he gives me all my mail but if I don't answer he leaves the package on my front porch and the mail in my mail box.  He is the third mailman I have had since I have lived here and none have ever complained.  

Respected Contributor

Maybe your mailperson knows packages left out of your box are getting ripped off on her route and is just giving you a heads up. If you are getting a lot of packages that don't fit in the standard box it might worry her that you won't get them before the thieves do.